2.5" Lift Kits Short List for 2021 JLUR

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
I have a 2021 JLUR on order. I'm having the dealer put on 35s right away. I'm trying to figure out what lift I'm going to put on. I live in the Midwest but like to take trips out west for photography and some wheeling. My Jeep is my road trip vehicle as well as my daily driver so I want something that rides well on the highway yet still be fully capable off road.

For shocks I will most likely be going with the Teraflex SP2 3.3 Fast Adjust. Many people rave about these shocks but some say they are way too stiff. Most say the SP2s are a big improvement over the original version. I have the original version of these on my JKU Sahara. Overall I've been very happy with them so I expect the SP2s should be no worse and hopefully much better as many have said.

The lift will most likely be the first thing I do to my Rubicon. Within about 18 months I'll be doing front and rear bumpers and a winch, but until then I'll just have the stock plastic bumpers.

I've narrowed my lift kit list to three choices and am looking for feedback. All three will exceed my needs off road. I'm really wondering how the three will compare on road when paired with the TF SP2 3.3 shocks.
  • MetalCloak Game Changer 2.5. I like the gold zinc finish; it should stand up very well to salty midwestern winter roads. This is probably the most capable off road and the ultimate flexor of the three. Price is very reasonable.
  • Clayton Off Road 2.5 Overland+. Off road should be similar to the other two. Price is extremely reasonable.
  • Teraflex RT2. Many people rave about the Alpine IR control arms. Will there be a synergy from matched coils and shocks from the same brand? Price is still within budget but considerably higher than the other two. This one should be more than I need off road, but considering the increased price will this kit be noticeably smoother on road?
One other thing I'm wondering about is how much lift I'll gain with the Teraflex. From what I've read a lot people end up with 3" of lift or a little more with the MC and Clayton lifts. I've not seen any comments about this with the Teraflex RT2, but with some of their other lifts I've seen people say they ended up just a bit under the stated lift for the model. 2.5" will be plenty as long as I get 2.5" over the stock Rubi. I may move to 37s when I need new tires. TF states the RT2 will accommodate 37s with a change in bump stops. The other two also have no problems accommodating 37s but they are mute on whether additional mods are needed.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I have a 2021 JLUR on order. I'm having the dealer put on 35s right away. I'm trying to figure out what lift I'm going to put on. I live in the Midwest but like to take trips out west for photography and some wheeling. My Jeep is my road trip vehicle as well as my daily driver so I want something that rides well on the highway yet still be fully capable off road.

For shocks I will most likely be going with the Teraflex SP2 3.3 Fast Adjust. Many people rave about these shocks but some say they are way too stiff. Most say the SP2s are a big improvement over the original version. I have the original version of these on my JKU Sahara. Overall I've been very happy with them so I expect the SP2s should be no worse and hopefully much better as many have said.

The lift will most likely be the first thing I do to my Rubicon. Within about 18 months I'll be doing front and rear bumpers and a winch, but until then I'll just have the stock plastic bumpers.

I've narrowed my lift kit list to three choices and am looking for feedback. All three will exceed my needs off road. I'm really wondering how the three will compare on road when paired with the TF SP2 3.3 shocks.
  • MetalCloak Game Changer 2.5. I like the gold zinc finish; it should stand up very well to salty midwestern winter roads. This is probably the most capable off road and the ultimate flexor of the three. Price is very reasonable.
  • Clayton Off Road 2.5 Overland+. Off road should be similar to the other two. Price is extremely reasonable.
  • Teraflex RT2. Many people rave about the Alpine IR control arms. Will there be a synergy from matched coils and shocks from the same brand? Price is still within budget but considerably higher than the other two. This one should be more than I need off road, but considering the increased price will this kit be noticeably smoother on road?
One other thing I'm wondering about is how much lift I'll gain with the Teraflex. From what I've read a lot people end up with 3" of lift or a little more with the MC and Clayton lifts. I've not seen any comments about this with the Teraflex RT2, but with some of their other lifts I've seen people say they ended up just a bit under the stated lift for the model. 2.5" will be plenty as long as I get 2.5" over the stock Rubi. I may move to 37s when I need new tires. TF states the RT2 will accommodate 37s with a change in bump stops. The other two also have no problems accommodating 37s but they are mute on whether additional mods are needed.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!
I put on the AEV DualSport 2.5 lift with a JKS Adjustable Front Track Bar and 35’s and it’s perfect IMO. Rides awesome on and off-road. I forgot to look at my bump stops in the following pictures, but I still had a few more inches of travel to tuck those tires in the wheel well, but ran out of rock pile. I need to find a bigger pile! 😁

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" Lift Kits Short List for 2021 JLUR 02F6286D-8D1C-4446-B044-8B7A182A137C

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" Lift Kits Short List for 2021 JLUR 5E74D752-636B-4CE0-994B-B8C7D37FC396

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" Lift Kits Short List for 2021 JLUR 7B3AB4DF-31D9-4013-85D2-2A24E7504208

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" Lift Kits Short List for 2021 JLUR 19C82334-5628-42D1-809A-C617EAF06921

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
i run 37' BF + Mopar bead lock wheels on a 2" Mopar lift and runs as it was meant to be. i also added the Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" Lift Kits Short List for 2021 JLUR lod rock sliders installed

Last edited:

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Second the AEV lift, have it on mine and love it.

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put on the AEV DualSport 2.5 lift with a JKS Adjustable Front Track Bar and 35’s and it’s perfect IMO. Rides awesome on and off-road. I forgot to look at my bump stops in the following pictures, but I still had a few more inches of travel to tuck those tires in the wheel well, but ran out of rock pile. I need to find a bigger pile! 😁

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" Lift Kits Short List for 2021 JLUR lod rock sliders installed

What are the dims of your rims? 20x9? 10? Do you know what the backspacing is on them?

Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
What are the dims of your rims? 20x9? 10? Do you know what the backspacing is on them?
20x10 with -19mm offset or 4.75” backspacing.

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20x10 with -19mm offset or 4.75” backspacing.
Thanks!! I really like the look of your tires and wheels on you're Rubi. They stick out a little but not too much. About the perfect amount for my tastes.

The rims I have on order are 20x9 0 offset, 5" backspace. Tires are 35x12.5 R20s. Mine should stick out about as far as yours. I'll probably need to add spacers when I get mine lifted but should only add quarter to half an inch, which will be fine.

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking for more complete lift kits with all 8 control arms. Anyone have feedback based on my original post?

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Thanks!! I really like the look of your tires and wheels on you're Rubi. They stick out a little but not too much. About the perfect amount for my tastes.

The rims I have on order are 20x9 0 offset, 5" backspace. Tires are 35x12.5 R20s. Mine should stick out about as far as yours. I'll probably need to add spacers when I get mine lifted but should only add quarter to half an inch, which will be fine.
I love the way my wheels/tires/lift turned out. I’m in awe every time I look at it. Sometimes I just drop everything I’m doing so I can go have a look. 🤣. I’m sure you’ll like it too. And I’m glad I’m not the only one who opted for 20’s. 🤣

I’m sorry…I have no recommendations as to your current question. Hopefully someone will be able to help you out soon!

Enjoy the new tires, wheels, and lift!:fist bump:

Coy2000100

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler rubicon
I’ve been looking at the metal cloak game changer I think they are one of the best lifts on the market, maintenance free control arms are a huge plus, I don’t know if the other arms are like that. I’d say metal cloak and you won’t regret anything! Paired with the shocks you want you should have the best of the best!

Sponsored

Coy2000100

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler rubicon
I’ve been looking at the metal cloak game changer I think they are one of the best lifts on the market, maintenance free control arms are a huge plus, I don’t know if the other arms are like that. I’d say metal cloak and you won’t regret anything! Paired with the shocks you want you should have the best of the best!
Also they have a sale going on right now 10% off and you can use code USAhero for another 5% off so 15% off right now that’s a steal!

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
What's the reason you're not looking at the Rock Krawler? You could go with the adventure kit which is a no maintenance kit.
https://www.rivercityoffroad.com/Rock-Krawler-25in-Ultimate-Adventure-Lift-Kit--JL-4dr_p_13103.html ~$2300 no sales tax.
It includes a rear track bar relocation mount, which I believe none of the others have.
It has the same springs as the X-factor, which for better or worse, put me up 4". I'm having alot of fun playing with the adjustable Fox shocks, which I think you will have with the Falcons. Its really cool.
The RK instructions were pretty good. I was able to get it done with them, plus alot of help from this forum!

FWIW, the other kit in the final running for me was the Clayton.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" Lift Kits Short List for 2021 JLUR 887755-44455

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
What's the reason you're not looking at the Rock Krawler? You could go with the adventure kit which is a no maintenance kit.
https://www.rivercityoffroad.com/Rock-Krawler-25in-Ultimate-Adventure-Lift-Kit--JL-4dr_p_13103.html ~$2300 no sales tax.
It includes a rear track bar relocation mount, which I believe none of the others have.
It has the same springs as the X-factor, which for better or worse, put me up 4". I'm having alot of fun playing with the adjustable Fox shocks, which I think you will have with the Falcons. Its really cool.
The RK instructions were pretty good. I was able to get it done with them, plus alot of help from this forum!

why the rk over clayton?

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
why the rk over clayton?
There was a couple of items, but generally most of them were pretty small:
1) it was a few hundred dollars cheaper. I found that retailer in Texas that doesn't charge sales tax. I think the difference with tax would be about $600. $2600 for RK and $2900 + tax for Clayton.
2) RK included a rear track bar relocation bracket.
3) I liked the RK instructions better. The Clayton were good too (which is why they were in the running). Overall, though I would like ALOT more instruction from RK in documents or video.
4) I thought there were more people talking about RK on this forum. So I thought better opportunity for some support (which turned out I needed).
5) They sold me on the triple rate vs dual rate springs. Is it a difference? I cannot say.
6) Since I was leaning RK, I called them 2x and both times they answered right away and were helpful and not condescending. I never called Clayton, but I am sure they are fine too. But basically I was building to RK as the decision. If they didn't answer or were rude, I would not have bought.
7) Since I finally decided to go with Fox shocks, from a product perspective it was really down to the difference in joints. My expectation were that both were exceptional but RK used joints that were also used by other lift manufacturers. I thought this was a better opportunity for spare parts availability 20 years from now. This is probably a pretty dumb one, and yall can flame me but really only time will tell.
8) And finally, I thought there was a little bit better description on their website. It listed specs and recommendations. Clayton didn't.

BonesRedRubi

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500 crew Honda Civic si

I’m trying to decide whether or not to go with the Clayton or not also. Looks like a quality kit, the only thing that worries me is if the spring and fox shock combo will produce too stiff of a ride. Seems hard to find anyone that has experience with the lift and how it rides
Sponsored