Sponsored

How to get more power with better gas mileage

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
I have a basically stock 2019 V6 4 door wrangler. I am curious to find a way to make it faster. I have put a Jeep cold air intake on it and saw minimal difference. Also I want to keep my current fuel economy or improve it, all without voiding the warranty or breaking the bank. Is this possible? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I have a basically stock 2019 V6 4 door wrangler. I am curious to find a way to make it faster. I have put a Jeep cold air intake on it and saw minimal difference. Also I want to keep my current fuel economy or improve it, all without voiding the warranty or breaking the bank. Is this possible? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Drop weight, or break the laws of physics?
That’s overly reductive, but if Jeep could do it legally they probably would. It sounds like you need a turbo kit, but I’m not sure what they make. Are you open to that? If so someone might be able to chime in.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Nope not possible with your requirements!!

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
Drop weight, or break the laws of physics?
That’s overly reductive, but if Jeep could do it legally they probably would. It sounds like you need a turbo kit, but I’m not sure what they make. Are you open to that? If so someone might be able to chime in.
Sure I’m open to all suggestions!

Sponsored

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Which requirement would need to go? 😜
Warranty, so maybe wait until after it’s up. Not sure if you have etorque on your model year but the cheapest way to get more power and mpg is with a tune or programmer. If you do not have etorque then search the forum for the Livernois tuning option for the 3.6 V6 they get 50HP out of it dyno proven but it cannot have the etorque.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'll just mention a few of my own experiences; perhaps some of them will crosswalk to your situation. None of them are intended to be accusatory. ;)

-Drive with mechanical sympathy. Pulling away from stoplights needn't be a race, nor am I suggesting that it's necessary to be a turtle, either. Accelerate and brake as smoothly as circumstances allow.

-Use top tier fuel. But for the 4 gallons of 87 that were provided at the factory, my JLU has been fed 91+ octane since the day I took delivery. Premium gas is not compulsory for the 2.0T in my Jeep, but it's recommended for the best performance, so this was an easy choice.

-If your JLU has the 850RE 8-speed automatic, it is a learning transmission of sorts. Your driving habits will effect shift points (meaning the engine speed at which automatic gear changes occur.) After driving for a bit of time with a consistently lighter right foot, you should begin to see an improvement in your calculated fuel mileage.

-Cold air intakes are effective at lightening our wallets. As for any measurable gains in performance, the degree to which they occur is a subject for enduring debate. With respect, I don't see their value proposition.

-Having used K&N air filters for some years, it was my experience that installing them did consistently improve my fuel mileage by 1-2 mpg. However, as my research regarding the filtering efficiency (or not) of oiled cotton gauze filters broadened, I decided to forgo their use.

Best of luck here. 👍

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
I'll just mention a few of my own experiences; perhaps some of them will crosswalk to your situation. None of them are intended to be accusatory. ;)

-Drive with mechanical sympathy. Pulling away from stoplights needn't be a race, nor am I suggesting that it's necessary to be a turtle, either. Accelerate and brake as smoothly as circumstances allow.

-Use top tier fuel. But for the 4 gallons of 87 that were provided at the factory, my JLU has been fed 91+ octane since the day I took delivery. Premium gas is not compulsory for the 2.0T in my Jeep, but it's recommended for the best performance, so this was an easy choice.

-If your JLU has the 850RE 8-speed automatic, it is a learning transmission of sorts. Your driving habits will effect shift points (meaning the engine speed at which automatic gear changes occur.) After driving for a bit of time with a consistently lighter right foot, you should begin to see an improvement in your calculated fuel mileage.

-Cold air intakes are effective at lightening our wallets. As for any measurable gains in performance, the degree to which they occur is a subject for enduring debate. With respect, I don't see their value proposition.

-Having used K&N air filters for some years, it was my experience that installing them did consistently improve my fuel mileage by 1-2 mpg. However, as my research regarding the filtering efficiency (or not) of oiled cotton gauze filters broadened, I decided to forgo their use.

Best of luck here. 👍
I don’t necessarily want to drag race at stop lights, but when pulling out into traffic I do like for it to go when I ask for it😜😊

Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
your best bet, to keep it cheap:

1). Only drive downhill
2). Only drive when you have a really strong tail wind.

Those two things will give you the best mileage possible, bar none - and they’re both free!

😁

Failing those two things, if money is no object, then the Edelbrock Supercharger might be worth looking at.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Fast and reliable! Now do I have options?? 😊
Yes, but they ain’t cheap. There are the options of a V8 engine swap, a supercharger, or a turbo charger. All are expensive and all need to be installed by someone who truly knows what they’re doing to get the reliable part. None are factory warranty friendly.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Contact @RubiTrux for a V8 conversion and hit up the local Honda dealer for a Corolla… Anything that would improve fuel economy on a Jeep would be marginal and may not even be noticed in the real world (other then pencil). I would add a bigger tank to increase my range while adjusting driving style, as to me that’s more noticeable then the extra fraction of a mile a cold air intake may provide.

Or buy a Toyota Accord.

OP
OP
HellaYellaChick

HellaYellaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sarhara JL
your best bet, to keep it cheap:

1). Only drive downhill
2). Only drive when you have a really strong tail wind.

Those two things will give you the best mileage possible, bar none - and they’re both free!

😁

Failing those two things, if money is no object, then the Edelbrock Supercharger might be worth looking at.
I’ll have a look, thank you!
Sponsored