Sponsored

2021 JL with automatic, slams itself in park

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
What if I'm road hunting. Hard to shoot with my seat belt on and that window is awful small to swing a barrel out
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
And why would you need to have the door open to do that? Auto Park will not engage if the door is closed.
I don’t need the door open. But I am capable of holding door without a seat belt to pull through gate.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I don’t need the door open. But I am capable of holding door without a seat belt to pull through gate.
Just close the door, or buckle the seat belt. You can just buckle the belt behind you.

Also, read the owners manual.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What if I'm road hunting. Hard to shoot with my seat belt on and that window is awful small to swing a barrel out
My first experience with a Nanny State door was the first hunt with my 89 bronco. Spot buck , open door, DING DING DING DING!!!!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just close the door, or buckle the seat belt. You can just buckle the belt behind you.

Also, read the owners manual.
Obviously,since it’s now required to move vehicle a few feet through gate, out of garage, hook or unhook from RV etc.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L
These same guys out there yelling at their lawn mower for shutting off when they get off the seat. WHAT IF I WANT TO STAND
Lawn mower wouldn’t listen so I used a jumper wire.

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’m the past and in other vehicles, I have had to have my door open while backing in a trailer when I couldn’t trust my mirrors, seat belt off because I was jumping in and out. Can I not do this with my wrangler?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m the past and in other vehicles, I have had to have my door open while backing in a trailer when I couldn’t trust my mirrors, seat belt off because I was jumping in and out. Can I not do this with my wrangler?
No!

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Use the backup camera. It’s dead ass accurate.
Auto park has been on all Chrysler products including dodge pickups for years.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Firstly, the organ donor comment was an (I thought obvious) attempt at humor (obviously not successful).

Secondly, you must be missing the point. The reason why we have autopark is *precisely* because someone was run over and killed (presumably becoming an organ donor ***** in their driveway *****. Not to mention the multiple instances of pedal missaplication with people bolting out of their driveways and hiting houses, trees, cars, etc.

There are multiple documented instances (many on youtube) of someone opening their doors without a seatbelt in low speed scenarios (e.g. to pay for parking, to look at something outside, falling off and being injured or killed.

To repeat....if your door is closed, no autopark. If your seatbelt in buckled (or faked), no autopark. Open the door without seatbelt = autopark.
Ok, I knew it was a joke. I did not miss the point. The reason we have all kinds of crap in our life is because someone somewhere did something stupid, or just plain messed up. Accidents happen, if it were planned it would not be an accident. There are times you might want to have your seatbelt off and open the door. Is it 100% safe, probably not. But one instance is when I had my TJ, I had marks on the garage floor where I would back up to place my tires exactly where I wanted them to take the top off with the winch on the ceiling. So I would lean out a little while I was idling to where I wanted to stop. I understood the risk I was taking, but did it anyway.
I am probably not the guy you want to try to convince about all our safety standards. I used to skydive, bungee jump and like I said I ride a motorcycle. In fact on the bike I do adventure riding. My last great ride before covid I rode, by myself, oh my, up to Tuktoyaktuk NW territories in Canada. I was in the military 24 years and in some pretty shitty places. So I figure I am going to enjoy my life, danger be damned. I don't play russion roulette, but yea sometimes I like to get my adrenaline up. So little things like taking my seatbelt off, opening the door to look out just does not where I am backing up just does not rate up there as so dangerous they need to add this crap to my vehicle.
Sorry to get on my soapbox, I really am not wanting to piss you off. I understand autopark and how it works. But the guy just did not understand it, and asked the question. He just wanted a reply to the question. Not to be scolded by his mom.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Hell no, and you are damn lucky to be with us today with that kind of reckless behavior.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Lets see here, slammed itself in park when I was pulling it on my trailer the other day, you think a person needs a seatbelt in that instance? Also did it pulling into my lift bay, not exactly a high speed scenario.

Since I have no power options at the door, think I'm going to try to just disconnect it permanently and see what happens.
This will only work if you don’t squirm in the seat too much…with the doors off, the system uses the weight sensor in the seat along with the seatbelt sensor. There are other conditions that come into play as well…it’s all in the owners manual…

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Because that worked well for this guy

Seriously, your mirrors are adjustable. If you need to see the side of your vehicle as you're backing up....aim them properly. Do you see big rig drivers open their doors to back the trailer into a tight loading bay?
Backing a trailer properly - and safely - is an actual skill that requires practice.You should never need to open your door. Learning to use your mirrors is part of that skill.
Sponsored