First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-door, and 1987 YJ with 427 SBC
  • Banned
When I open the door and it is in gear.

If I get to where I want to take the doors off, what do I do?

These are crank windows, and no speakers in the doors or anything, so no wires to them I suspect.

Any tips? I'm a YJ guy with this this new Jeep foreign to me all this electronic garbage.
Sponsored

ZellymtWillys

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 21 JLU Willys on order
When I open the door and it is in gear.

If I get to where I want to take the doors off, what do I do?

These are crank windows, and no speakers in the doors or anything, so no wires to them I suspect.

Any tips? I'm a YJ guy with this this new Jeep foreign to me all this electronic garbage.
They introduced this feature to prevent people from forgetting to put their vehicle in park when they get out. Someone died when they forgot to put the transmission in park and then got run over by their own Jeep. I believe it's turned off when you disconnect the door wiring.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

If I recall correctly connecting the seat belt also disables this

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It is a non-issue. The autopark will only engage if you open the door and are not wearing your seatbelt. Wear your seatbelt anytime your transmission is in gear (as you should) and you never have to worry about it.

If you don't want to wear your seatbelt, and want to be an organ donor, you can always get one of those seatbelt clips that fake that a seatbelt is in use.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeffery

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
OP
OP

Jeffery

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
It is a non-issue. The autopark will only engage if you open the door and are not wearing your seatbelt. Wear your seatbelt anytime your transmission is in gear (as you should) and you never have to worry about it.

If you don't want to wear your seatbelt, and want to be an organ donor, you can always get one of those seatbelt clips that fake that a seatbelt is in use.

Lets see here, slammed itself in park when I was pulling it on my trailer the other day, you think a person needs a seatbelt in that instance? Also did it pulling into my lift bay, not exactly a high speed scenario.

Since I have no power options at the door, think I'm going to try to just disconnect it permanently and see what happens.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired

Why do I see soooo many replies to questions that have to be so impolite? So when I back my jeep out of my garage, to park in in my driveway (35') without a seatbelt, I am wanting to be an organ donor? When I pull it back in I am at risk of being an organ donor? I pulled my TJ behind and RV, and when I disconnected, and moved back 3', I should have worn a seat belt. Chill out dude and just answer his question, or don't reply. I have ridden a motorcycle for over 40 years. I can't tell you how much it bugs me when people ask me if I know how dangerous it is. Of course I do. But my Lord, I am not going to live my life wrapped in bubble wrap in my closet. When I go, my body will be worn and torn with great stories. Sorry off my soap box, I just don't get why you automatically assume he is driving down an autobahn at high speed from the way he framed his question.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Auto Park engages when all of the following are true:
  • Vehicle not in Park
  • Vehicle speed is 1.2 MPH or less
  • Driver's seat belt is unbuckled
  • Driver's door is ajar
  • Brake pedal is not depressed
What exactly do you need to do at 1.2 MPH or less with your seat belt off, your foot off the brake and your door open? Whatever it is, it's probably not a good idea.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Auto Park engages when all of the following are true:
  • Vehicle not in Park
  • Vehicle speed is 1.2 MPH or less
  • Driver's seat belt is unbuckled
  • Driver's door is ajar
  • Brake pedal is not depressed
What exactly do you need to do at 1.2 MPH or less with your seat belt off, your foot off the brake and your door open? Whatever it is, it's probably not a good idea.
Cool guy wannabe mechanics drive around with their leg hanging out the door, obviously.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Why do I see soooo many replies to questions that have to be so impolite? So when I back my jeep out of my garage, to park in in my driveway (35') without a seatbelt, I am wanting to be an organ donor? When I pull it back in I am at risk of being an organ donor? I pulled my TJ behind and RV, and when I disconnected, and moved back 3', I should have worn a seat belt. Chill out dude and just answer his question, or don't reply. I have ridden a motorcycle for over 40 years. I can't tell you how much it bugs me when people ask me if I know how dangerous it is. Of course I do. But my Lord, I am not going to live my life wrapped in bubble wrap in my closet. When I go, my body will be worn and torn with great stories. Sorry off my soap box, I just don't get why you automatically assume he is driving down an autobahn at high speed from the way he framed his question.
Firstly, the organ donor comment was an (I thought obvious) attempt at humor (obviously not successful).

Secondly, you must be missing the point. The reason why we have autopark is *precisely* because someone was run over and killed (presumably becoming an organ donor) ***** in their driveway *****. Not to mention the multiple instances of pedal missaplication with people bolting out of their driveways and hiting houses, trees, cars, etc.

There are multiple documented instances (many on youtube) of someone opening their doors without a seatbelt in low speed scenarios (e.g. to pay for parking, to look at something outside, falling off and being injured or killed.

To repeat....if your door is closed, no autopark. If your seatbelt in buckled (or faked), no autopark. Open the door without seatbelt = autopark.

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What exactly do you need to do at 1.2 MPH or less with your seat belt off, your foot off the brake and your door open?
I was going to say be an organ donor - but that apparently is considered "impolite".

So lets go with ..... enabling the spouse to collect on life insurance a bit earlier.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
How did I ever survive driving a CJ3A for 55 years with no seat belts,no turn signals,no emergency flashers, no defroster, lousy windshield wipers, lousy brakes, lousy parking broke, constant wander and occasional death wobble without the Nanny State protecting me? The same way I survived riding motorcycles the same amount of time. It’s called COMMON SENSE! Also, what do I do at 1.5 mph without a seat belt? PULL THROUGH MY GATE

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
How did I ever survive driving a CJ3A for 55 years with no seat belts,no turn signals,no emergency flashers, no defroster, lousy windshield wipers, lousy brakes, lousy parking broke, constant wander and occasional death wobble without the Nanny State protecting me? The same way I survived riding motorcycles the same amount of time. It’s called COMMON SENSE! Also, what do I do at 1.5 mph without a seat belt? PULL THROUGH MY GATE
And why would you need to have the door open to do that? Auto Park will not engage if the door is closed.