botond.kopacz

First Name
Botond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
Hey Folks,

Let me share my story here as well to serve as a good lesson learned for anyone looking into the 4xe. Just simply don't buy it. Not because it's awfully bad. But because this is a test Jeep with 0 support from Chrysler/Jeep

After waiting for my 4xe almost 3 months, I was able to use it only for 42 days. And then it died. It's been in the shop since 85!!!! Days. Twice as long as I've used it. And still not fixed. FCA/Stellantis provides 0 support for this test trim. Biggest failure of the Wranglers.

Not to mention they don't provide loaner/rental either. I've spend $7000 so far (and counting) on cheap car rentals our of pocket.

Read my full story below if you are interested.

But please don't ever buy this. Choose the regular gas version. Or wait 2-3 years untill Jeep can gather some spare parts so they can fix at least what is broken.

Sponsored

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Well, Botond, your first mistake was buying the "A Model" and expecting everything to be perfect. There isn't a single brand new or redesign vehicle out there that didn't have issues on launch (which by the way wasn't more than 6 months ago). Jeep has been pushing updates and fixes out for the vast majority of issues customers have been having. Yes, parts are scarce right now but that's across the whole industry. I'm still waiting on all weather floor mats from my dealer.
I bought mine knowing full well that there was a very real possibility I could be facing a major glitch or issue within a very short period of time and a long wait before it could be fixed. That was something I was willing to live with. The truth is there is a large number of owners that have NOT had any issues or they were so minor that they were back on the road in a day or 2.

Sorry to be brutally honest but shit happens. I'm sure your dealer would be more than happy to swap yours out for a regular one considering the heavy demand for the 4xe platform and charge that next person a premium for it as a certified used vehicle.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Hey Folks,

Let me share my story here as well to serve as a good lesson learned for anyone looking into the 4xe. Just simply don't buy it. Not because it's awfully bad. But because this is a test Jeep with 0 support from Chrysler/Jeep

After waiting for my 4xe almost 3 months, I was able to use it only for 42 days. And then it died. It's been in the shop since 85!!!! Days. Twice as long as I've used it. And still not fixed. FCA/Stellantis provides 0 support for this test trim. Biggest failure of the Wranglers.

Not to mention they don't provide loaner/rental either. I've spend $7000 so far (and counting) on cheap car rentals our of pocket.

But please don't ever buy this. Choose the regular gas version. Or wait 2-3 years untill Jeep can gather some spare parts so they can fix at least what is broken.

Hire a lemon law attorney. It will take six months (ask me how I know) but Jeep will have to buy your 4xe back regardless if leased and reimburse you for everything out of pock from day one including the rental car.

85 days out of service is twice what the majority of state lemon laws require. Yours sounds like and open and shut case. Take the money and use it towards a 2.0T (next best mpg) Jeep or something else.

Sponsored

OP
OP

botond.kopacz

First Name
Botond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
Well, Botond, your first mistake was buying the "A Model" and expecting everything to be perfect. There isn't a single brand new or redesign vehicle out there that didn't have issues on launch (which by the way wasn't more than 6 months ago). Jeep has been pushing updates and fixes out for the vast majority of issues customers have been having. Yes, parts are scarce right now but that's across the whole industry. I'm still waiting on all weather floor mats from my dealer.
I bought mine knowing full well that there was a very real possibility I could be facing a major glitch or issue within a very short period of time and a long wait before it could be fixed. That was something I was willing to live with. The truth is there is a large number of owners that have NOT had any issues or they were so minor that they were back on the road in a day or 2.

Sorry to be brutally honest but shit happens. I'm sure your dealer would be more than happy to swap yours out for a regular one considering the heavy demand for the 4xe platform and charge that next person a premium for it as a certified used vehicle.
Yepp, you are right I thought I knew for what I am subscribing, first generation hybrid with Chrysler (we all know how the 1st year went for the hybrid Pacifica). It's just suprising that after that incident and 1st year launch of the EcoDiesels - still no improvement how they can handle new power trains. Mine needs some cables which shouldn't be impacted by chip shortage).

Not that of a bummer as the Jeep is / was for fun, not primary car or daily driver but still. For someone whom this will be a daily driver or planning to do backcountry trips...will be a little help that for majority of people it works flawlessly when it stops in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah there is one recall for the hybrid system wiring - at least trying to catch up with potential issues.

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Really sorry to hear this. As others mentioned hire a lemon law attorney.

BTW, your article mentions a dual clutch transmission...the 4xe just has a normal zf built 8spd auto.
He’s actually not completely wrong, just misinformed by a technician that doesn't really know the internals of the new trans. The ZF in the 4xe has a decoupling clutch system to separate the ICE from the electric drive to enable full electric use on demand from the hybrid software or the end user. The 8HP75PH might be your average 8HP ZF but the internals are a complete rework and design from what the rest of the 8HP lineup is. Their new PH lineup has a few different models and applications with ours being one of the upper tier performers. ZF has a pretty informative pdf available that breaks it down for easier reading. Check it out here

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Yeah there is one recall for the hybrid system wiring - at least trying to catch up with potential issues.
Several new RRT's as well. Basically Plug in, Inspect, Reprogram as needed software updates for 5 of the control modules to include the battery, hybrid drive, transmission, engine, and body control module. I might be missing one but the ones listed above are obviously big changes. Already been a few members reporting new features and improvements to the overall driving characteristics.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
You are in California. You have ALREADY "met the presumption of the lemon law".

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Replies like this are to be brutally honest hilarious. You are comparing mats to a guy that hasn't had his car for 85 days.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE for this. Yeah trying to defend Jeep and ANY car company for this type of release and launch is plain stupid.

Yeah everyone gets a first year might need a few updates, a few times to the dealer, a couple of parts needing to be changed but 85 days. Really you are trying to justify this with "brutal honestly", yeah ok.

As others have said get an attorney for the lemon law. $7K out of pocket because they won't offer a loaner or a rental is completely ridiculous.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I get your frustration. Believe me, I do. My '19JLUR w/ V6/ 6spd was in the shop for over a month with the clutch recall. And that was the height of COVID. Thankfully, my dealer was on point... sort of. I had to call them at least 1-2 times a week, then verify with Corporate. Corporate was less than helpful. I basically got told "We don't have any updates and can't tell you where your clutch parts are and you're in a rental so we won't expedite", to which I called BS, and escalated to Second level, after telling them I have zero faith in the "Warranty" and could have ordered parts from any aftermarket company and had them in over a weekend, and been rolling again 3 weeks ago. As soon as I dropped the "I'll be seeking legal counsel to check out all my options", my dealer had updates the next day. "It's not their normal parts channel, but their "5 Star Line" or something else" (lol). Chrysler Corporate customer service is an absolute MESS.
And I agree- for the premium price you're paying, no one should have to go through this. Unfortunately- like the parts backorder- it's an industry wide problem. Some are better than others, but as a whole- if you're dealing with any sort of problem like this, it's going to be terrible. From what I have experienced, dealers generally like focus on "easy stuff" like service (oil changes, tire rotations, etc), easy replacement work (components), and hounding people for repeat business/ sales. When it comes to computer/ tech issues, it gets even worse- because it is truly an issue that needs someone who understands how computers/ code work. Again, industry wide issue. The Auto industry is an aging and unsustainable business model that desperately needs updating.
That said: This is the first case I've heard of this level of malfunction on a 4xe. Most of what I've read from user reviews is it's heavy, and has some quirks, but it's getting better as Jeep releases fixes. Just like any other OEM, you need to stay on top of Recall/TSB's and updates. Calling the 4xe a "concept car" is far from accurate and to be honest, you can find plenty of issues with other models and OEM's that are far worse (Ford's new-gen explorer launch, Bronco Hard top issues, Focus RS head gaskets being a ticking timebomb, etc).
IF you're serious about being compensated/ having your grievances properly handled- contact a lemon law attorney in your area. IF I was in your shoes, I 100% would have already done so.

TL;DR: You're right to be frustrated, but this BS is sadly common. Be respectful, but stay on them until it gets made right.

Last edited:

utjmac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited 392
You don’t need to hire an attorney, just send a certified letter to Jeep requesting they buy back your vehicle under lemon law. They have 15 days to respond, I think, details are in your states applicable lemon law. I was in a similar situation, with a Nissan that I bought.

The letter got engineers flown out from California, and the issue was finally fixed on the last day they had to repair it. On top of that, they gave me a 100k mile warranty for my trouble and offered to pay a car payment. Dealership won’t push the issue, you have to.

Worst case, they buy it back, and you get to take the tax credit as a freebie.

You are the only one that can escalate this issue. Good luck.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Hey Folks,

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like they might still fix it? Maybe this cautionary tale can be turned around. Sadly, most corporate entities behave like this. Fix the bare minimum under warranty, and give you a hard time about it. I hope you get to enjoy it some day, or at least trade it in and break even.
Sponsored