Shock, Springs & Suspension Information Chart Matrix

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Man this is amazing, I assume the drop down for the lift height over rubi is for the formulas with bump travel etc

Man this is amazing! Ive been referring to the screenshots of your spreadsheet in various threads but never knew of the full thing. Ive been gathering my own data but this trumps it. :clap:
Yes, the lift height is with the stock Rubicon = 0"

The numbers are based off of my JLR, so what is shown as a 0.5" lift might actually be stock for some but +1" for others. This is why I give the shock eye-to-eye lengths, in case someone wants to be more exact.
Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
JT Rubicon shocks are 2 not 2,5". See 2.5 number all the time, but have the shocks in my hands right now and outer diameter is 2.2", so the piston is 2".

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
JT Rubicon shocks are 2 not 2,5". See 2.5 number all the time, but have the shocks in my hands right now and outer diameter is 2.2", so the piston is 2".
Thanks for clarifying. I've never seen them up close in person, and I'm guessing the confusion came from the Mopar lift shocks.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Been looking at diesel springs to lift the front end after a winch, but does anyone know the spring rates for the diesel?

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Been looking at diesel springs to lift the front end after a winch, but does anyone know the spring rates for the diesel?
The ones I have for exactly this purpose are 3667, both front springs are the same. did not install them yet. Right now I have 61/62 with 1" spacer to make it even with the rear.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
The ones I have for exactly this purpose are 3667, both front springs are the same. did not install them yet. Right now I have 61/62 with 1" spacer to make it even with the rear.
Another member ran diesel springs to compensate for the winch and it leveled out with no extra spacers in the rear. So it’s definitely a viable option imo.
Keep us posted how it turns out afterwards!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Wanted to see what you guys thought of this game plan.

4xe Rub currently on a TF 1.5" Spacer (2" F, 1.5" R), Mopar 2" bump stop extensions. Currently running stock Rub shocks with 2" extensions. 4xe is ~1" higher than the standard Rub.

I've been wanting to swap out the shocks+extensions, and looks like Rock Krawler just released springs for the 4xe, so considering swapping to their 2.5" springs, which their forum rep said lift based on the 4xe Rub stock height. Looks like they run a little shorter than advertised, at least based on Trail Recon's comparison video. RK stated that their max shock extension recommendation for the stock driveshaft was still 29" on the 4xe.

For either keeping the spacer lift or the RK swap, I'm looking at doing the Bilstein B8 5100 3-4.5". The B8s are IFP just like the Fox's and it looks like I'll give up the aluminum body and a small difference in diameter for half the price compared to the Fox 2.0 IFPs (Bilsteins are $357 shipped with forum discount on Northridge for the set). Looks like I might be a hair (.06") short on front bumpstop, but gain nearly 3" of droop.

This should put me close to half extension at ride height barely OK on bump, DS, and shock/frame and maximum droop for maximum axle angle at both ends.

Any concerns or alternate recommendations?

Jeep Wrangler JL Shock, Springs & Suspension Information Chart Matrix 1631642075969

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Ninja 650R, Jeep 392, Yamaha TTR230
I've had a few people ask for access to my shock & spring charts, so I decided to put all this in a sharable format that anyone can access or download & modify. There's more than one tab at the bottom, feel free to view or download.

Shock Matrix
The following fields highlighted in yellow are adjustable.
  • The 'Ride Height' field uses my JLR as a base, but your Jeep may ride differently. Be sure to check the shock eye-to-eye measurements for accuracy.
  • 'Bump Travel' (or Up Travel) just turns some of the text red that is outside of the recommended range
Jeep Wrangler JL Shock, Springs & Suspension Information Chart Matrix 1631642075969

OEM Springs: a never complete list of all the spring combinations

Rear Motion Ratio: shows how the rear shock's response isn't linear to suspension travel, and most important at lower ride heights

Spring Rates: a small list of spring rates I have collected from this forum

Caster: another small list, this time of caster measurements using fixed arms

Wheelbase: comparing the JL to other Jeeps

Breakover: how the JL & JT breakover angles change at various heights

Nice chart :like:

By chance do you have any info regarding the Jeep 392's suspension?

I have a camper trailer and when connected to the 392 it has quite a bit of sag perhaps ~6 inches, but even if the sag were only 2 inches I'd still want a level ride. I'm looking into adding an airbag system, inserting airbags within the rear coils.

The 392 is 2 inches higher than a Wrangler Sport and 1 inch higher than a 'standard' Rubicon. In short, it's my understanding that the Fox springs/coils are a different animal and I'm having a hard time finding the specs on the coils.

I'm going to call Air Lift regarding airbags for the 392 (they only display the other models) and I'd like to be somewhat informed prior that conversation. I want to ensure I get good fitment.

Thank You for any insight.

V/R
~justin

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

I have a camper trailer and when connected to the 392 it has quite a bit of sag perhaps ~6 inches, but even if the sag were only 2 inches I'd still want a level ride. I'm looking into adding an airbag system, inserting airbags within the rear coils.

The 392 is 2 inches higher than a Wrangler Sport and 1 inch higher than a 'standard' Rubicon. In short, it's my understanding that the Fox springs/coils are a different animal and I'm having a hard time finding the specs on the coils.

I'm going to call Air Lift regarding airbags for the 392 (they only display the other models) and I'd like to be somewhat informed prior that conversation. I want to ensure I get good fitment.

V/R
~justin
Sorry, I haven't seen much regarding the 392 coils. Try contacting AccuTune.

It also sounds like you might be over the maximum towing capacity (or tongue weight).

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

V/R
~justin
That's a lot of sag, how heavy is your trailer?

At the 3500 lb tow spec, you should have less than 500 pounds on the tongue weight.

Sponsored

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I continue my research here's the part number found on the 392 rear coils
P68481302AC

The sticker found on the coil....

20210916_201405.jpg

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a lot of sag, how heavy is your trailer?

At the 3500 lb tow spec, you should have less than 500 pounds on the tongue weight.
I'm guessing around 350lbs, maybe a little less.
Keep in mind the 392 is 2" higher than a stock wrangler. There's more available distance to allow sag.

I did some measuring earlier today and ordered some airbags, the kind that go in the coils. Fingers crossed 🤞🏽

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm guessing around 350lbs, maybe a little less.
Keep in mind the 392 is 2" higher than a stock wrangler. There's more available distance to allow sag.

I did some measuring earlier today and ordered some airbags, the kind that go in the coils. Fingers crossed 🤞🏽

For whomever this may benefit as I had to measure the rear coils springs so I could purchase some assist lift airbags.

Referencing the diagram the Y is 5.25 inches. The X is 10 inches. That is with no weight other than vehicle weight.

The bags I bought are model 60920. They should fit perfectly within the coil. This applies to the 392.

The link displays multiple bag sizes to choose from. They say it's best to pick a bag sizes that's a little smaller than the coil's inner dimensions.

How To Build and Install an Air Lift 1000 Universal Kit | Air Lift Company - Tow and Haul with Safety and Comfort

spring-measurement.jpg

60920.jpg
Sponsored