How long will Jeep offer the 392?

MerlinsGarage

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21RUB392, 97Vipr,14Porsc 911,06Ford GT,64Vette etc
It looks like '22 ordering begins 05 October 2021. We should know if the 392 will continue by then.

Edited for new content.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
FYI investors, A 392 is not the first big cube factory offered motor in a JEEP. Lest we forget, AMC Jeep offered a 401 V8 in 4x4 Wagons and Trucks from '71 to '75. It was a beast of a motor with a forged crankshaft , rods and dogleg port exhaust heads. First year examples were good for 335HP @5,000 and 435 torque @3400. Wagons and J trucks where not commonly optioned with the 401 motor even without a hiped premium. There was no hiped up sales campaign and they never commanded much attention. Original vehicles that survive with a 401 today do not sell for a premium.
The 392 will. Big V8s are going to be phased out in the next decade due to CAFE and EPA bullshit. So if you have the means, I certainly wouldnā€™t wait around to snag one.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
FYI investors, A 392 is not the first big cube factory offered motor in a JEEP. Lest we forget, AMC Jeep offered a 401 V8 in 4x4 Wagons and Trucks from '71 to '75. It was a beast of a motor with a forged crankshaft , rods and dogleg port exhaust heads. First year examples were good for 335HP @5,000 and 435 torque @3400. Wagons and J trucks where not commonly optioned with the 401 motor even without a hiped premium. There was no hiped up sales campaign and they never commanded much attention. Original vehicles that survive with a 401 today do not sell for a premium.
That's because they were a boat anchor. Never performed even close to what they were supposed to.

Sam

SLORubi

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2019 A4 S-line
If Jeep killed off the 392 after only 1 year, would they even recoup their engineering/production costs? I understand the math is volume based and not time based, the 392 seems to be selling well, but is it selling well enoughā€¦ just pondering questions that likely canā€™t be answered.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
The 392 will. Big V8s are going to be phased out in the next decade due to CAFE and EPA bullshit. So if you have the means, I certainly wouldnā€™t wait around to snag one.
You are absolutely correct, which is why I already got mine and yes it was expensive and gets about 14 mpg but itā€™s what I enjoy! If I enjoyed golf, ball games, vacations, fancy dinners etc etc they would be expensive too. BTW , my 69 GTX got 6 mpg on minimum 100 octane fuel so even at 50 cents a gallon 50 years ago it was very expensive on Sargent ā€˜s pay .

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Haha, nice try.
I already am going to get more for my JLUR than what I paid OTD once my 392 shows up. 392 will be a collectible that will be worth more than what anyone paid.

developerlaw

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392; 2022 McLaren; 2023 Range Rover
If Viper and Demon used prices are an indication . . . Jeep 392 should appreciate just fine in the years to come.

Love6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
It looks like '22 ordering begins 05 October 2021. We should know if the 392 will continue by then.

Edited for new content.
My dealer can build a 22 and can do everything but place the order - They called Jeep, it looks like a 22 with Xtreme Recon package will be available in a few weeks and they will then place the order.

I gambled a bit and requested a 22ā€™, but after watching the Jeep presentation on the Xtreme Recon Package (The Roar to Serenity) it seemed very unlikely that Jeep does not make this at least a 2-3 year run - JMO - I still think get them while you can as it will be limited, but they put a lot of R&D into making this the ultimate Jeep and taking some attention away from the new Bronco.

Wrangler presentations starts at 9:06

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
I
The writing is on the wall, with the ever increasing push to (soulless) electrified vehicles and harsher CAFE and emissions standards Iā€™ve been wondering...how long do you see Jeep offering the 392 in their lineup? To me, nothing beats the sound of a burly American V8 at full tilt, hence why I caved and ordered one, price be damned. I also think this type of vehicle is the last of an era. Same with the Hellcat powered Stellantis products. I see them being phased out over the next few years, if not as soon as 2024. I know the Wrangler will stick around, it will get electrified but I canā€™t see them offering this engine for more than a few years. Iā€™d love to see a mid year refresh in 2023/2024 with UConnect 5 and if thatā€™s the case Iā€™ll probably add another 392 to the stable. Curious to hear your thoughts.
Wish we could have gotten the 392 in the 2 door JL. Oh well.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
w
My dealer can build a 22 and can do everything but place the order - They called Jeep, it looks like a 22 with Xtreme Recon package will be available in a few weeks and they will then place the order.

I gambled a bit and requested a 22ā€™, but after watching the Jeep presentation on the Xtreme Recon Package (The Roar to Serenity) it seemed very unlikely that Jeep does not make this at least a 2-3 year run - JMO - I still think get them while you can as it will be limited, but they put a lot of R&D into making this the ultimate Jeep and taking some attention away from the new Bronco.

Wrangler presentations starts at 9:06

Wow...The presentation mentions a 1.5" inch lift but not on the window sticker or on the build and price page for the Jeep Wrangler.

Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
You do know any order after 8/4 will be a 2022 year model right? So unless I am mistaken everyone who has placed orders after 8/4 for the 392 will be getting the second year run of a 392!!
Is that specific for the 392 or all Jeeps? I placed an order 8/30 and I think my dealer didn't submit the actual order into the system until 9/3 and my VIN is 2021 Wrangler! Don't get me wrong, I'd love for my Jeep to be 2022 but I think it is a 2021.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I cannot see how the 392 will be available for more than two to three years.

If you have one/will be ordering one hold on to it.

To keep up with the HP race and meet emissions standards it is more likely that we will see a 2.5/3.0 turbo version in the future. I will not be surprised if the Ferarri based 2.9 turbo power plant, that is currently used in the Alfa Giulia QV, are used in future Wranglers. The Alfa 2.9 twin turbo produces 505 Hp and 443 Fp torque, it will scare any Ford produced Bronco for quite some time.
Future Alfas will not be getting any Ferrari engines! I think the announcement was made a while back. So once the current product line that carries this engine is remodeled or replaced, the partnership will end. :(

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Not to argue but, my posts are opinions and facts that have happened. You are speculating, "trying" to predict the future and advise others on the outcome. Haha, another opinion I have is some folks need to grow up and not get so butt hurt by opposing opinions.
You too are speculating.
As for being butthurt, this is a discussion. If you want to come into the room, fart, smell your own fart, and leave then by all means do so but don't be surprised if on a public forum somebody engages in conversation and/or opposing opinions.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
The writing is on the wall, with the ever increasing push to (soulless) electrified vehicles and harsher CAFE and emissions standards Iā€™ve been wondering...how long do you see Jeep offering the 392 in their lineup? To me, nothing beats the sound of a burly American V8 at full tilt, hence why I caved and ordered one, price be damned. I also think this type of vehicle is the last of an era. Same with the Hellcat powered Stellantis products. I see them being phased out over the next few years, if not as soon as 2024. I know the Wrangler will stick around, it will get electrified but I canā€™t see them offering this engine for more than a few years. Iā€™d love to see a mid year refresh in 2023/2024 with UConnect 5 and if thatā€™s the case Iā€™ll probably add another 392 to the stable. Curious to hear your thoughts.
Iā€™m with you. The current Regime wonā€™t permit the sale of these engines to continue; not for longā€¦. Enjoy it while you can!
Sponsored