Sponsored

What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara?

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I'll keep that in mind for next time. It'll be a while before these are ready to be replaced.
What do you mean ''ready to be replaced'' ??? I change tires when I get the itch to do so. never do I drive with tires under half their tread wear. I sell them while they are still worth something and it normally absorb more than half the price of the new tires.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean ''ready to be replaced'' ??? I change tires when I get the itch to do so. never do I drive with tires under half their tread wear. I sell them while they are still worth something and it normally absorb more than half the price of the new tires.
well I really don't have a monthly tire budget, lol.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Fairly new to the Jeep world. I'm a good driver in the regular world, lol!
If you are indeed a good driver on-road, chances are you will be a good driver off-road.

That is, unless you are like Prius drivers...who believe they are good drivers...but actually suck! šŸ˜«

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If you are indeed a good driver on-road, chances are you will be a good driver off-road.

That is, unless you are like Prius drivers...who believe they are the best drivers...but actually suck! šŸ˜«
The ones going 95 and somehow never get pulled over by the CHP?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The ones going 95 and somehow never get pulled over by the CHP?
Yeah. The ones who still donā€™t understand why every other driver shows them the finger...

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I have had my Sahara for a few months with no spare funds for mods like tires, lift, etc. so it is still all stock. I would like to do some light off-roading just to get a taste of what the Jeep is capable of. With stock 18" wheels and the stock All Season tires, what can I do and what shouldn't I do when it comes to off-roading? (I'm sure rock crawling is out of the question! lol) Also, if anyone has any SoCal spots where I can try this, I am all ears!
I have been wheeling a very long time, particularly in the so cal area. Iā€™m not sure where you live, but a trail I highly recommend to new jeepers is the bee canyon truck trail. Itā€™s east of helmet and runs up into idllywild. Has a little creek crossing, some shelf roads with cool views and a few optional side fun challenges. There is also a truck trail that is challenging for future endeavors if you put some upgrades on.
If you are near me Iā€™d be glad to show you a lot of trails out here. I also have takeaway rubicon rock rails if they fit on your Sahara Iā€™m not using them.

Sponsored

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, cleghorn is one of my favorite trails. I personally donā€™t suggest it to new jeepers because the easy parts are harder to find and if you end up in the hard parts you may be in for some unwanted experiences. The trails also have a ton of overgrowth and will give your Jeepā€™s some nice California pin stopes. Amazing views and awesome trails though.

OP
OP
SoCal JLUS

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

I have been wheeling a very long time, particularly in the so cal area. Iā€™m not sure where you live, but a trail I highly recommend to new jeepers is the bee canyon truck trail. Itā€™s east of helmet and runs up into idllywild. Has a little creek crossing, some shelf roads with cool views and a few optional side fun challenges. There is also a truck trail that is challenging for future endeavors if you put some upgrades on.
If you are near me Iā€™d be glad to show you a lot of trails out here. I also have takeaway rubicon rock rails if they fit on your Sahara Iā€™m not using them.
Thanks for the info! As for the Rock Rails, are these standard equipment on Rubi's or are they aftermarket? Silly question, what advantages do these have over the Sahara's (besides probably not being made of plastic?)? What would you been asking for them?
I'm in the North Fontana area so Hemet isn't very far. That trail is going on my list to try out!

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info! As for the Rock Rails, are these standard equipment on Rubi's or are they aftermarket? Silly question, what advantages do these have over the Sahara's (besides probably not being made of plastic?)? What would you been asking for them?
I'm in the North Fontana area so Hemet isn't very far. That trail is going on my list to try out!
Itā€™s part of the standard equipment of the rubicon. They are heavy so I assume they are steal. They provide protection along the side of the jeep to protect the body from rocks or other protruding objects while wheeling. If they fit Iā€™d have to see if they are even worth something. We could work something out.

OP
OP
SoCal JLUS

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

Itā€™s part of the standard equipment of the rubicon. They are heavy so I assume they are steal. They provide protection along the side of the jeep to protect the body from rocks or other protruding objects while wheeling. If they fit Iā€™d have to see if they are even worth something. We could work something out.
Good idea on checking to see if they fit. If so, I would be interested to see what we could come up with. Let me know and we'll see what happens! Thanks!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who has owned many Saharas and Rubicons over the years: donā€™t get rid of your sides steps just yet.

Sahara sidesteps get little respect in Wrangler circles: they are ugly, they are plastic, they are big, they are for girls, etc. And a lot of Sahara owners end up throwing them away.

The fact is those sidesteps are tough as nails. Iā€™ve had mine absorb hard blows many times. Because they stick out to the sides, they provide excellent side protection from anything ranging from other people's vehicle doors, to wandering shopping carts, to flying rock and debris lifted by your own tires, to defending the side of the Jeep when you slide onto a rock or a tree. Actually, I think of them as side bumpers. Often times you donā€™t realize how much protection those side steps offered until they are gone.

Another fact a lot of people forget is that the Rubicon rock rails and Sahara side steps mount in exactly the same way to exactly the same spots ā€”onto the pinch seams. So when it boils down to it, in 80% to 90% of instances, both offer roughly the same amount of ā€œrockā€ protection. Rock rails just look more ā€œbutchā€ doing it.
Sponsored