List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have seen one of the Quaker State options available off the shelf at WM.
Yeah the Quaker State 5W40 is available at my local Walmart stores. $18 for a 5 quart jug. MS-12991 stamped on the jug. Comes from the same company that the Pennzoil comes from and virgin analysis on it seems to indicate it may actually be the same oil. It's by far the best deal anybody will find on quality and approved Gen 3 oil.
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
Red Line is still available; just ordered a case of it.

not cheap, but Red Line products have always tested out very well for me under severe use, in a variety of applications.

Hi. I just tried to procure some unicorn blood and was told the following:
1. It's not being made anymore. (sorry if I missed that clear statement somewhere)
2. The Mopar branded 5w-40 MS-12991 oils in the 5L or 1 quart sizes aren't available
3. Penzoil(Platinum Euro?) has been awarded the contract to supply the oil needed for the EcoDiesel.

Is Penzoil Platinum Euro the new unicorn blood?

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLURD,‘02 F-250 7.3, ‘15 Prius, Had 13 JK
I stopped at my local DCJR dealer to get an appointment for my first Jeep wave oil change. We had talked about a week earlier and I asked about the MS 12991 Mopar oil and they ordered some, when I made the appointment, they said the oil was under an engineering review and they wouldn’t be getting any. So , they’re getting the Pennzoil. Anyone else hear anything similar?

AZRubic0n

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited Eco Diesel
So I just got back from my second oil change at the dealer and wondering if any of you have experienced this?
The first oil change (earlier this year) they used 68231020AA (which is now superseded to 68524020AA). Both of those part numbers are for the diesel.
They used 68523985AA on this second oil change which is spec'ed for the I-4 gas engine but does meet the MS-12991 req. This part # is apparently Penzoil Ultra and after a long discussion with the service mgr this is what Jeep is telling them to use. This Penzoil oil has been around for a few years so I am surprised that all of a sudden it's OK to use in the diesel.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
So I just got back from my second oil change at the dealer and wondering if any of you have experienced this?
The first oil change (earlier this year) they used 68231020AA (which is now superseded to 68524020AA). Both of those part numbers are for the diesel.
They used 68523985AA on this second oil change which is spec'ed for the I-4 gas engine but does meet the MS-12991 req. This part # is apparently Penzoil Ultra and after a long discussion with the service mgr this is what Jeep is telling them to use. This Penzoil oil has been around for a few years so I am surprised that all of a sudden it's OK to use in the diesel.
Yes, the Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 is the factory oil. Make sure it's 5W40.

The Quaker State 5W40 mentioned earlier in this thread is virtually the same oil, and some folks believe it actually is the same oil just bottled in QS branding (they're both Shell brands).

If anybody is really concerned with maximum longevity of DPF and engine life, Motul X-Clean 5W40 is probably your best bet, as it's a better base stock oil and it's below 0.8% SAPS which is as low as you'll find with the MS-12991 rating.

AZRubic0n

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 is the factory oil. Make sure it's 5W40.

The Quaker State 5W40 mentioned earlier in this thread is virtually the same oil, and some folks believe it actually is the same oil just bottled in QS branding (they're both Shell brands).

If anybody is really concerned with maximum longevity of DPF and engine life, Motul X-Clean 5W40 is probably your best bet, as it's a better base stock oil and it's below 0.8% SAPS which is as low as you'll find with the MS-12991 rating.
So here is where I am struggling. That Pennzoil Ultra European blend 5W40 has been around since at least 2018. Why all of a sudden is it ok to use in the diesel when the diesel calls out for a different part number?
And that part number for the Pennzoil has an AA suffix so it has not been changed. I’m fine using the Pennzoil as it has the correct specs I just don’t get why Mopar created a different oil with a different part # for the diesel.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
So here is where I am struggling. That Pennzoil Ultra European blend 5W40 has been around since at least 2018. Why all of a sudden is it ok to use in the diesel when the diesel calls out for a different part number?
And that part number for the Pennzoil has an AA suffix so it has not been changed. I’m fine using the Pennzoil as it has the correct specs I just don’t get why Mopar created a different oil with a different part # for the diesel.
I don't really follow what you're saying. But here are a couple of points that may answer:

The Pennzoil was reformulated in early 2020, very shortly after the Gen 3 EcoDiesel engine debuted in the Ram 1500. At first the new formulation didn't have the certification, but I was told that they were working on correcting that. Maybe there are two part numbers with one being the "old" formulation and the other being the "new" one?

Or, perhaps there's the OE version and the consumer version, with two numbers? Sort of like how a Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac OE tire is not the same as a Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac aftermarket tire.

AZRubic0n

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't really follow what you're saying. But here are a couple of points that may answer:

The Pennzoil was reformulated in early 2020, very shortly after the Gen 3 EcoDiesel engine debuted in the Ram 1500. At first the new formulation didn't have the certification, but I was told that they were working on correcting that. Maybe there are two part numbers with one being the "old" formulation and the other being the "new" one?

Or, perhaps there's the OE version and the consumer version, with two numbers? Sort of like how a Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac OE tire is not the same as a Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac aftermarket tire.
Let me try to explain a different way. The dealer used part #68523985AA. If you go online to any authorized Mopar retailer (or dealer) and look up thIs part # the application for this oil says it’s for 2018 Fiat I-4 gas and as well 2013 Challenger 6.4L gas. Since the suffix is AA and it was used at least back to 2018 the product technically should not have changed as the suffix is how changes are tracked. So if the formulation was changed in 2020 one would expect the suffix to be bumped to AB. Some of the Mopar sites show a picture of the bottle which is Pennzoil Ultra 5W40. Since I plan to keep this Jeep for a long time I only want to make sure the correct oil is used and it is documented properly in case an issue arises in the future as I have an 8 year 125K extended warranty. Fortunately I do have a good friend who is a Service Mgr at a Texas dealer and he is doing a little research for me so hopefully it will be clear soon.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Let me try to explain a different way. The dealer used part #68523985AA. If you go online to any authorized Mopar retailer (or dealer) and look up thIs part # the application for this oil says it’s for 2018 Fiat I-4 gas and as well 2013 Challenger 6.4L gas. Since the suffix is AA and it was used at least back to 2018 the product technically should not have changed as the suffix is how changes are tracked. So if the formulation was changed in 2020 one would expect the suffix to be bumped to AB. Some of the Mopar sites show a picture of the bottle which is Pennzoil Ultra 5W40. Since I plan to keep this Jeep for a long time I only want to make sure the correct oil is used and it is documented properly in case an issue arises in the future as I have an 8 year 125K extended warranty. Fortunately I do have a good friend who is a Service Mgr at a Texas dealer and he is doing a little research for me so hopefully it will be clear soon.
It is possible that they haven't changed the formula. It just took time for the certification to come through. So the oil has been around for a while before it was certified. But now that it's certified, they may change part numbers.

Sponsored

diamondschwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Blue JLUR, 2021 Billet Silver JLURD
Yes, they used that oil in my change today after previously using the older Mopar MaxPro oil earlier this year.

It Meets spec and the manual references Pennzoil Euro 5w40 multiple times.

740C1C8A-76F3-4030-AD3A-5E27AA165C6F.jpeg

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
Well. Had Rotella in the jeep for 35K+ kms. Service manager showed me this. And apologized.
Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler 20211012_125036