Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Why would anyone want to steal something so useless?

I couldn't find mine until I looked up. I think it is weird to have the prop mounted to the underside of the hood, I am use to seeing them mounted to the engine compartment.

Go for some hood struts, redline or similar. You won't be sorry.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-struts-5-minute-bolt-in-installation.47632/
Having the prop rod attached to the hood comes in handy after larger lift and tires. I'm 5'11" and the closed hood is only sitting a few inches below my shoulders.
Sponsored

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Having the prop rod attached to the hood comes in handy after larger lift and tires. I'm 5'11" and the closed hood is only sitting a few inches below my shoulders.
Fair point. Unfortunately, i don't have that problem, because if I lift my rubi and inch, it won't fit in my cartoonishly small garage.

I keep telling myself that "I like a little garage, because it makes my jeep feel big"....but its not the same as having a big jeep. :crying:

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I'm 43 and have been around cars and car guys my whole life. I have never heard of anyone breaking into an engine to steal something. I have also never heard of anyone stealing gas. At least, not in person (not counting those internet stories).

And, I live in SE LA, where hurricanes make gas more valuable than gold for a few months every other year.

NinjaJenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI but shopping for a Wrangler
One of the first things I did on the jeep was to get a locking latch. I heard to many stories about people who had the engine compartment get broken into. This is cheap insurance.
20210913_102551.jpg
I have these same hood locks. I really like them.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I have these same hood locks. I really like them.
What brand are they? Jeep said theirs are discontinued and I have been unable to find any. Thanks

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Fair point. Unfortunately, i don't have that problem, because if I lift my rubi and inch, it won't fit in my cartoonishly small garage.

I keep telling myself that "I like a little garage, because it makes my jeep feel big"....but its not the same as having a big jeep. :crying:
Reading this made me think of Chris Farley in the movie Tommy Boy, when he puts on the smaller guys coat. 😆
Jeep Wrangler JL My hood prop stolen tommy-boy-chris-farley

Another memory is from years ago. The neighbor across the street lifted an older Jeep in his garage and couldn't get it out afterwards.

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I'm 43 and have been around cars and car guys my whole life. I have never heard of anyone breaking into an engine to steal something. I have also never heard of anyone stealing gas. At least, not in person (not counting those internet stories).

And, I live in SE LA, where hurricanes make gas more valuable than gold for a few months every other year.
engine component theft use to be quite common before hood locks - that's why they are present - and gas theft - you must live a very sheltered life - 70's gas crisis - talk to a farmer about diesel gone missing......not internet stories - SE LA sounds like a dream land :)...but I will have to add who wants a hood prop....

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
It's just risk mitigation. Like any other security. You want an unbeatable hood lock? It's gonna cost a lot because it doesn't exist, you will have to do all the r&d yourself. Then someone with a cutting torch will make a fool out of you.

Want something even a torch can't handle? Your daily will become a tank, and guess what? Explosives exist.

If someone wants what you have they will get it one way or another. Same with my locking gas cap, someone can crawl under my Jeep with a drill and a bucket and get my gas that way. A drill, a bucket, and a dream.

I'm banking on them seeing my Jeep locked up and moving on. I didn't buy the hood lock because it was high security, 100$ does not buy high security. It's enough to deter non desperate fool-thiefs, witch I think is a fair number of the thief population.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For those that are concerned a similar issue will occur with your JL.....

Sure you can go with/ install a hood lock .... that will slow them down.... maybe they will move on when they see it.... or, quietly break/defeat the hood lock ...and ... .they will damage the JL in the process and probably still get what they wanted...

Personally, I would rather just have them grab the prop rod or battery and then move on without causing any damage... I have similar feeling's in regard to them getting into my JL..... Ok, go a head and break a window (easily replaced) but please do not damage the sheet metal... tear up the paint...

Anyway..... probably what's is best is to run the guy/gal off with a hood alarm... Nitwit opens the hood and the horn starts blaring loudly, non-stop..... Catches them off guard and they move on / run....

You can use the Tazer JL' hood alarm feature....

or with Jscan...

Engine Compartment/Hood Alarm:
ADAPTATION ---> Miscellaneous settings --> VTA Hood Ajar Monitoring On/Off--> Target Value = Activated

Sponsored

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
For those that are concerned a similar issue will occur with your JL.....

Sure you can go with/ install a hood lock .... that will slow them down.... maybe they will move on when they see it.... or, quietly break/defeat the hood lock ...and ... .they will damage the JL in the process and probably still get what they wanted...

Personally, I would rather just have them grab the prop rod or battery and then move on without causing any damage... I have similar feeling's in regard to them getting into my JL..... Ok, go a head and break a window (easily replaced) but please do not damage the sheet metal... tear up the paint...

Anyway..... probably what's is best is to run the guy/gal off with a hood alarm... Nitwit opens the hood and the horn starts blaring loudly, non-stop..... Catches them off guard and they move on / run....

You can use the Tazer JL' hood alarm feature....

or with Jscan...

Engine Compartment/Hood Alarm:
ADAPTATION ---> Miscellaneous settings --> VTA Hood Ajar Monitoring On/Off--> Target Value = Activated

Im not sure how my reply to this got posted above this but thanks for the hood alarm tip I'm gonna look into that.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
engine component theft use to be quite common before hood locks - that's why they are present - and gas theft - you must live a very sheltered life - 70's gas crisis - talk to a farmer about diesel gone missing......not internet stories - SE LA sounds like a dream land :)...but I will have to add who wants a hood prop....
I'll make a note to myself real quick . . .

If you ever discover a time machine, go back to the late 1970's, and find yourself driving in a high-crime area of an inner city . . . buy a hood lock.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I sell them to keep me in ducks... Its a victimless crime... ... and I just can't stop ducking.😢

harryG

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 renegade, 2021 willys (on order)
I third bolt lock. Awesome and sleep safer now. Hardest part was for me to find a rivetgun that I would use once and never again....

That sucks @LLRubylady. Hate thieves. Maybe look on brightside? Hood prop is probably one of hte cheapest things they could have taken and with least headache. Good luck.
bought my rivet gun at Harbor Freight for 20 bucks, if i nevr use it again it was still worth it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Is nobody going to doubt this story? Pics or it didn't happen.
Sponsored