Sponsored

JL & JLU Wrangler Axle Gear Ratios: 3.45, 3.73, 4.10

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Any guesses whether 4.10 will be optional or standard on JL/JLU? Doesn’t seem like this info is confirmed in any of the ordering info threads yet.
Sponsored

Tintop

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Any guesses whether 4.10 will be optional or standard on JL/JLU? Doesn’t seem like this info is confirmed in any of the ordering info threads yet.
I would also like to know this. The only thing holding up my order is the desire to have the 4.10 ratio. Do y'all think this 3.73 with the new auto transmission will have better crawl ratio and handle 35s better than the current jku with 3.73?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Do y'all think this 3.73 with the new auto transmission will have better crawl ratio and handle 35s better than the current jku with 3.73?
The new ZF 8spd auto will have a better crawl ratio than the old NSG370 manual transmission and 4.10 axles, and also better than the old auto with 5.13 axles.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 4.10 ratios are neither standard nor optional on JL and JLU. Those are reserved for specific trims such as Rubicon.

Since there aren't ordering guides posted yet, one doesn't have to "make things up" in order to take the educated guess that FCA will do what they've done on other vehicles with the 8-speed trans. and offer taller axle ratios only. The 8-speed with 4.10s would be really deep for a factory vehicle. I can't see them offering that.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
The new ZF 8spd auto will have a better crawl ratio than the old NSG370 manual transmission and 4.10 axles, and also better than the old auto with 5.13 axles.
I hope this is the case! If so I will be very happy

Sponsored

Tintop

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Thanks to all those that have weighed in on my question re: 4.10 gears. It sounds like with the new A8 I should be more than fine running 35's in the JLU Rubicon. I have been torn on either getting my order in (assuming the standard is the 3.73), or waiting for the possible option 4.10. I'm feeling more comfortable in just placing the order - since worst case the 3.73 will be solid with the A8. I guess there is also that extra 14% torque in the updated 3.6L.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I guess there is also that extra 14% torque in the updated 3.6L.
Just remember that ~15% is not overall, it’s just 300 RPM earlier in the power band/curve, so after/above about 2,000 RPM it may be the same as one might experience right now, and shifting to get into the sweet spot may still be in order.

So mid-RPM and mid-gear selection actions like accelerating to pass etc might still be a bit sluggish, but should be fine. The principal issue remains getting everything going to begin with, so that’s good with the new lower end grunt and larger first gear, but just be aware of that soft middle that will still exist regardless.

noodlemans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Camaro
Hey everyone, I'm a total newbie. Can someone explain to me the difference between 3.73 and 4.10 as it relates to everyday driving? Is there a noticeable difference? Why would 4.10 be preferred and what are the pros and cons of upgrading to 4.10 other than the price increase? Thanks so much.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Hey everyone, I'm a total newbie. Can someone explain to me the difference between 3.73 and 4.10 as it relates to everyday driving? Is there a noticeable difference? Why would 4.10 be preferred and what are the pros and cons of upgrading to 4.10 other than the price increase? Thanks so much.
Hi total newbie, start by reading the link in this post of an earlier page of this thread... http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-ratios-3-45-3-73-4-10.1441/page-3#post-13273

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
Thanks for this. I like to read info on both sides of the argument. I read arguments both ways for either a) getting a JK or b) waiting for JL.

I'm pretty sure I'm waiting for JL. Not sure I'll wait for the 2.0 turbo though. For me the Android Auto, backup camera and 8 speed auto are the features I'm looking for.

I test drove a JKU with a 4" lift and 35" tires on a 3.21 axle. It wasn't a good experience. From what I understand (at least with the 5 speed auto), your towing capacity with the 3.21 is only 2k and if you put bigger tires on your capacity essentially goes down to a bike rack.

I'm thinking now about a JLU Rubicon so I'll be starting with a 3.73 and an 8 speed. Here's my question... What would make me want to get 4.10 rario on a Rubicon?

Will I be able to tow 3.5k lbs on a 3.73 Rubicon on 35" tires?

Which will give me better mileage around town?
Which will give me better mileage on highway?

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
Because of the 3.73 correct? I know the "heavy tow package" on JK brings you from 3.21 to 3.73 on Sport and Sahara.

I do plan on attempting some beginner off-roading. It sounds like the 4.10 wouldn't really even help there, only when rock crawling where you wouldn't even be using the gas? That sounds like some advanced off roading.

What's with this other transfer case with full time 4 wheel drive? That's another decision I need to make. Is that meant to be used on the road or off road?
Sponsored