MUD GUARDS

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes A180, Toyota RAV4, 2020 Rubicon UL 4dr
I’ve had my JLRU For a few weeks and noticed a lot of rock impacts on the front of the rear flairs. I m going to be using my Jeep primarily to tow my Lance 1475 travel trailer around the country with limited off road use. I can’t seem to find mud guards that fit a Rubicon with the steel bumper group. Any ideas out there?
Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had my JLRU For a few weeks and noticed a lot of rock impacts on the front of the rear flairs. I m going to be using my Jeep primarily to tow my Lance 1475 travel trailer around the country with limited off road use. I can’t seem to find mud guards that fit a Rubicon with the steel bumper group. Any ideas out there?
Thanks everyone.
Weathertech No-Drill Mud Flaps; Front and Rear; Black (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon) Item J133351-JL

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I have WeatherTech front and rear mudflaps on my 2018 Rubicon. They fit great with the stock Rubicon rails. It is in fact a special model for Rubicons.

I also have the steel bumpers. Currently WeatherTech says that their mudflaps don't fit Rubicons with steel bumpers. I don't believe this would impact the front flaps at all. Where they may have had issues is with screws and u-clips for the rear mudflaps that replace hardware on the stock interior fender. I think in the interest of using existing hardware kits, they didn't use the robust u-clip that came on the Wrangler, they wanted one to replace it so that a smaller diameter screw would fit.

One of my rear mudflap's screws did fall out, just before I went on vacation, so I replaced it with a longer one from my workbench. WeatherTech did send me a new hardware kit, but I haven't switched to the newer hardware since the longer screw I put in is holding for now.

From the perspective of saving your hinges and side paint, the front mudflap is more important than the rear one. The rear mudflap might be friendlier to vehicles following you, so it is still nice to have.

Be sure to query WeatherTech regarding this fitment if you think you may want to go this route. They may have updated their website.

YMMV!

P.S.: Chile1's post came up while I was writing this, so I second the motion!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i used to laugh at my buddy until i saw prices of mud flaps.... he used to go to ikea and get their cheap flexable black cutting boards and snip them to size and shape and screw them on his WRX and Camaro. They always came out looking really good.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
I cant speak to the weathertechs, but they usually make a solid product.

I too have a Rubi with the steel bumper group. I went with the RokBlokz because they are easily removed and look great. Since you really only need the front set to protect your hinges, they have an option for that. Also, they make ones for oversize tires if your baby has a wide stance.

I ordered all four and found a way to keep the rear fender panel insert in place. If u go the RokBlokz option, PM me and I can explain how to do it.

https://rokblokz.com/collections/wr...ud-flaps-half-kit?_pos=1&_sid=2766ee9ec&_ss=r

Sponsored

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Since you really only need the front set to protect your hinges, they have an option for that.
I forgot you are pulling a trailer, I would go with fronts and rears, unless you don't care much about the way your trailer looks from the front. Those KO2s pick up rocks and throw them harder than a 5 year old that is all hopped up on Mountain Dew. Here is the link for front and rear RokBlokz. They have lots of color options too, though black on black worked well on mine.

https://rokblokz.com/collections/wr...lu-2018-mud-flaps?_pos=2&_sid=2766ee9ec&_ss=r

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
2nd for the RokBlokz. Two size options, multiple colors,easy on/off and option for cut out to fit Rubi rock rail.
Jeep Wrangler JL MUD GUARDS 20210502_081509

OP
OP
Paul Holland

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2nd for the RokBlokz. Two size options, multiple colors,easy on/off and option for cut out to fit Rubi rock rail.
Thanks Tom. They’re nice but boy are they pricey!

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Thanks Tom. They’re nice but boy are they pricey!
They seem to have gone up a lot, since i bought mine back in july (maybe cause i have been the crazy mud flap guy ever since my hinges got cratered 100 mi into my ownership).

I paid $160, but it was a 4th of july sale. I didn't check but they probably ran a labor day sale and might do something for the upcoming holiday season. They are definitely worth the $160 I paid, but they may not be worth $250 if you are running the stock ruby tires.....in that case the weathertechs may be the better deal

To be honest, there is nothing too special about the RokBlokz. The design is pretty rudimentary and could inspire a DYIer to make their type using a couple pieces of 1-1/2" bar stock, fender clips, and cutting board materials like @Maverick909 suggested.

Make a couple cardboard templates, then saw the the mud flap material and polish the edges with a dremel. Bend the bar stock 90° to make a hanger for the rear and you are done. Maybe a half days work, and there are plenty of videos and instructions out there to help you along the way.

Then again after adding up the materials and time, would it be worth it?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Paul Holland

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have WeatherTech front and rear mudflaps on my 2018 Rubicon. They fit great with the stock Rubicon rails. It is in fact a special model for Rubicons.

I also have the steel bumpers. Currently WeatherTech says that their mudflaps don't fit Rubicons with steel bumpers. I don't believe this would impact the front flaps at all. Where they may have had issues is with screws and u-clips for the rear mudflaps that replace hardware on the stock interior fender. I think in the interest of using existing hardware kits, they didn't use the robust u-clip that came on the Wrangler, they wanted one to replace it so that a smaller diameter screw would fit.

One of my rear mudflap's screws did fall out, just before I went on vacation, so I replaced it with a longer one from my workbench. WeatherTech did send me a new hardware kit, but I haven't switched to the newer hardware since the longer screw I put in is holding for now.

From the perspective of saving your hinges and side paint, the front mudflap is more important than the rear one. The rear mudflap might be friendlier to vehicles following you, so it is still nice to have.

Be sure to query WeatherTech regarding this fitment if you think you may want to go this route. They may have updated their website.

YMMV!

P.S.: Chile1's post came up while I was writing this, so I second the motion!
I called Weather Tech and they said their rear mud flaps won’t fit with the steel bumper group. Now if you’ve used them on the rear and you have the steel bumper group I’d love to see the way it’s attached. They look fine otherwise and the price is right so if it’s possible to make them work I’d love to try it. Is your Rubi an 18+?
Do you have any photos of the rear attachments?

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I'm going to be ordering a set of the rokblokz, I had a rock absolutely chip the crap out of a hinge today, at 700 miles it looks like its seen some things lol.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do wish I could catch them on sale though, they are spendy for sure.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
I do wish I could catch them on sale though, they are spendy for sure.
That is a beautiful Rig in your avatar.

Honestly, even with mud flaps your hinges are still at risk. I bought the flaps and the hinge protectors from 3R Racing, but delayed putting the hinge covers on cause I was so confident in the mud flaps.....a rock took a huge crater out if my hinge over the weekend. Dont get me wrong the mud flaps have drastically reduced the anount of material thrown up by those KO2s, but its is only part of the answer. Time to touch up and put the stickers on this weekend.

If you have any ambition to go wider than stock wheels on your Rubi, I would get the XL now. The stock RB will look great, but they barely cover your 33s. If u want any pics before you order, let me know and I can send over some so you can compare.

Also, I found the instructions on the rear installation to be incorrect, or at least too complicated. With a small cut you can keep the lower fender insert with a simple pressure fit. It will keep you from throwing crap all over the backside of your bumper.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a beautiful Rig in your avatar.

Honestly, even with mud flaps your hinges are still at risk. I bought the flaps and the hinge protectors from 3R Racing, but delayed putting the hinge covers on cause I was so confident in the mud flaps.....a rock took a huge crater out if my hinge over the weekend. Dont get me wrong the mud flaps have drastically reduced the anount of material thrown up by those KO2s, but its is only part of the answer. Time to touch up and put the stickers on this weekend.

If you have any ambition to go wider than stock wheels on your Rubi, I would get the XL now. The stock RB will look great, but they barely cover your 33s. If u want any pics before you order, let me know and I can send over some so you can compare.

Also, I found the instructions on the rear installation to be incorrect, or at least too complicated. With a small cut you can keep the lower fender insert with a simple pressure fit. It will keep you from throwing crap all over the backside of your bumper.
Thanks for the complement, I love my Gecko. Ive already got the touch up paint, im going to order the hinge protectors as well, Im hoping I can make it look decent with the touch up paint. These M/T's throw rocks like crazy, it doesnt help that I have a stone driveway, I didnt think that one through when I optioned them.
Sponsored