Is tuning really necessary?

alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Hello there…. Brand new to the Jeep world.
Just purchased a 2021 JL Rubicon, installed 37s x 13.50 R20 with a 3.5 in lift kit
Is tunning your Jeep necessary? If so, is that something I can do myself, or should I take it to a dealership / shop?
TIA
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Just purchased a 2021 JL Rubicon, installed 37s x 13.50 R20 with a 3.5 in lift kit
Is tunning your Jeep necessary? If so, is that something I can do myself, or should I take it to a dealership / shop?
TIA
Tuning, not "Tunning".
But, I know what you mean, and the answer is "No". Enjoy your Jeep stock. Unless you are a computer expert, and know how to reprogram an ECM, you cannot do it yourself.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

TIA
I’m going to assume by tuning you mean calibration. Z Automotive sells a device called a Tazer JL Mini, it allows you to recalibrate for your larger tires. Your speedometer will read correct and it will give you access to many other features.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alexccs

alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I’m going to assume by tuning you mean calibration. Z Automotive sells a device called a Tazer JL Mini, it allows you to recalibrate for your larger tires. Your speedometer will read correct and it will give you access to many other features.
Thanks bro

OP
OP
alexccs

alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
You may also wanna check the Superchips Flashpaq, it offers a few tuning possibilities.
Thanks…. Is that something that’s self explanatory to do?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For 37s, yes, you are going to want to recalibrate your speedometer, which in turn recalibrates your automatic transmission’s shift points.

I got the Tazer Mini. It allowed me to disable ESS, recalibrate my speedometer, lower the threshold on the TPMS, activate the halos on the LEDs, and disable those annoying weather alerts. It allows dozens of other functions.

Regular price is $330; someone just found a coupon for $270 or so.

Good luck!

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Thanks…. Is that something that’s self explanatory to do?
I owned a flashcal and not flashpaq on my JK and now use the Jscan on my JL, but Superchips is a company that I recommend. their product are very user friendly. I recommend you check it out and watch reviews and videos to learna lot more than I know.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My vote goes toward JSCAN for simple things like tire size and a few other things but if your say just wanting to turn off ESS Tazer or Smart Stop/Start is the ticket.

Before doing anything check your speedo with an app like Speedbox or other GPS method to see how far its off, if only off a few MPH i would not bother.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
What type of engine do you have? The 2.0T or diesel may benefit more from a tune than a naturally aspirated 3.6L.

Its been awhile since i looked into the data, but as I recall, I don't think you can get much of a gain on a NA 3.6L. If that's what you have, save your money for other mods, or possibly a supercharger.

OP
OP
alexccs

alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
For 37s, yes, you are going to want to recalibrate your speedometer, which in turn recalibrates your automatic transmission’s shift points.

I got the Tazer Mini. It allowed me to disable ESS, recalibrate my speedometer, lower the threshold on the TPMS, activate the halos on the LEDs, and disable those annoying weather alerts. It allows dozens of other functions.

Good luck!
Thanks man….. I’ll definitely look into it

OP
OP
alexccs

alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
What type of engine do you have? The 2.0T or diesel may benefit more from a tune than a naturally aspirated 3.6L.

Its been awhile since i looked into the data, but as I recall, I don't think you can get much of a gain on a NA 3.6L. If that's what you have, save your money for other mods, or possibly a supercharger.
I do have a 3.6L

OP
OP
alexccs

alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon

Good luck!
Bro, I’ve been looking at the Tazer Mini videos, and it looks pretty self explanatory…. Plus, the reviews I’ve been reading online are really good. Probably a stupid question, but how can I find the threshold for the TPMS? I got 37s…….

And lastly, where did you find the coupon for the $270.00?
Thanks!!!!!!
Sponsored