So how do you like the 392 as a DD?

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
So after picking up the 392 10 days ago, initial oil change at 1000 miles and now at 2500 I’m getting used to it as a DD. I’m not going to do any real (dirty) 4 wheeling with it for a while as I still have my beloved ’20 JLR for that, but so far everything works perfectly. The power is linear and controllable (fun) and it’s a very easy low speed town driver. The engine temp runs 203 consistently on the highway, seen as high as 222 when using a lot of throttle. I drove a 300 mile loop for economy and the best I could get was a little over 19mpg, screw that. My normal driving gets 16-17mpg. The 392 is great flexible motor and manhandles these 5000 lb Jeeps amazingly well and on the other end of the scale, this fine motor is just as happy taking you where you want to go seeming barely above idle. You really can’t work this motor very hard; it should last forever.
Sponsored

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
I don't daily drive mine but I agree with everything you mention, at 46-47 mine is in 8th gear barely off idle until you get on it some. The motor is barely working under normal driving for sure. The ride is very comfortable better than I thought a solid axle Jeep could ever ride at least for the OG 392 on 33' tires and Fox shocks. I don't know if that will carry over to the newer set up on the XR392.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Negatives- seats too hard, gas tank too small. Fuel economy- as expected, but comparable to the 4Runner it replaced with almost twice the power so very happy Positives- everything else, ride, handling,steering much better than expected. A joy to drive!

Sponsored

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
agreed that the fuel tank is too small. everything else is awesome. love the dual nature of the exhaust - quiet and docile when you want, and a rabid animal when you open up the throttle

ValkyrieFalling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
So after picking up the 392 10 days ago, initial oil change at 1000 miles and now at 2500 I’m getting used to it as a DD. I’m not going to do any real (dirty) 4 wheeling with it for a while as I still have my beloved ’20 JLR for that, but so far everything works perfectly. The power is linear and controllable (fun) and it’s a very easy low speed town driver. The engine temp runs 203 consistently on the highway, seen as high as 222 when using a lot of throttle. I drove a 300 mile loop for economy and the best I could get was a little over 19mpg, screw that. My normal driving gets 16-17mpg. The 392 is great flexible motor and manhandles these 5000 lb Jeeps amazingly well and on the other end of the scale, this fine motor is just as happy taking you where you want to go seeming barely above idle. You really can’t work this motor very hard; it should last forever.
Did you do your own oil change? If you did, what torque did you use on the oil pan drain plug?
TIA

OP
OP
JJMalone

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
Did you do your own oil change? If you did, what torque did you use on the oil pan drain plug?
TIA
I've been a mechanic for 55 years. I don't use torque wrenches on common service items such as this. The drain plug on the 392 is a nice o-ringed flange bolt, 13mm hex, 8x1.5mm threads.Torqued to about 20 ft lbs it will never strip or give any kind of trouble. I don't know what the factory calls for (and don't care). I forgot to check to see if the pan plug boss had a factory installed helicoil like the ls motors have, suspect it does.

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Negatives- seats too hard, gas tank too small. Fuel economy- as expected, but comparable to the 4Runner it replaced with almost twice the power so very happy Positives- everything else, ride, handling,steering much better than expected. A joy to drive!
I second that My ass hurt so badly driving from AZ to CA. Not sure if my wife’s Sahara seats are more comfortable or just broken in better, but there’s a huge difference.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
A
So freaking true. It’s the worst seat I’ve ever sat inside of a car and I love this Jeep :)
And since I drive with the seat as low and as far back as possible an extra pad isn’t an option. Well, maybe titan or somebody else will solve the fuel tank issue.
Sponsored