First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It takes the place of the starter and alternator. Shutting off the auto stop/start feature doesn’t disable the eTorque, or the Jeep wouldn’t function. It still does the slight electric boost.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
90ft lbs? Jeep no longer claims that there's any torque gain. They got called out on their false propaganda.
Do you know where Jeep claimed that there was a torque gain? Everything I've always seen is consistent with their current marketing. I would like to see this false propaganda.

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 F150, 2018 V-Strom 650
I still don't know how the e-torque works, what the battery size is, where its located etc on my Jeep. I asked the sales guy and he tried to convince me there was no extra battery, it was just extra power that appeared somehow. ???

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Do you know where Jeep claimed that there was a torque gain? Everything I've always seen is consistent with their current marketing. I would like to see this false propaganda.
They made that false claim when the e torque was first announced in all their ads. I recommend Google and using the elusive search button if you want more info.

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
I still don't know how the e-torque works, what the battery size is, where its located etc on my Jeep. I asked the sales guy and he tried to convince me there was no extra battery, it was just extra power that appeared somehow. ???
Jeep doesn't know either LOL...

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
They made that false claim when the e torque was first announced in all their ads. I recommend Google and using the elusive search button if you want more info.
So I watched all the advertisements from early 2018 that I could find on YouTube (Google), and none made any power claims. I googled a bunch of different things, including many variations of 365 lb-ft of torque (that would be 295 + 70). Looked at the original press briefing. Searched for print adds. Even watched the official reveal on 11/29/17 which states "equipped with our eTorque technology, which enables greater low-end torque for better launch performance".

What else do you suggest? I would really like to find this elusive propaganda.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
FCA never advertised that eTorque added its torque on top of the engine output. So you won’t find 385/350 lb-ft

It did promote that eTorque made 90 lb-ft with the 2.0/3.6 and 130 lb-ft on 5.7

eTorque is FCA’s brand name for its two different 48V systems.

Continental (Eco-Drive) makes the 2.0/3.6 system (12 hp/39 lb-ft)

Magneti Marelli makes the 5.7 system (16 hp/49 lb-ft) with its air cooled LM Chem battery

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I love all the jeeper whining about the etorque and its perceived lack of reliability when it's the base engine on every Ram 1500 model (pretty sure if there was an issue, you'd have heard about it by now) and likely less complex than a 2L turbo.
Nobody buys a 3.6 V6 Ram 1500

There are more V6 BSG Wrangler’s out there than V6 BSG Ram’s.

There have been several issues with Ram’s V8 eTorque, but it’s 48V system is a different manufacturer from Jeep’s V6

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
FCA never advertised that eTorque added its torque on top of the engine output. So you won’t find 385/350 lb-ft

It did promote that eTorque made 90 lb-ft with the 2.0/3.6 and 130 lb-ft on 5.7

eTorque is FCA’s brand name for its two different 48V systems.

Continental (Eco-Drive) makes the 2.0/3.6 system (12 hp/39 lb-ft)

Magneti Marelli makes the 5.7 system (16 hp/49 lb-ft) with its air cooled LM Chem battery
I see... thanks for this. I found this article that clears it up:

"Output for the V-6's eTorque unit is 12 horsepower and 39 lb-ft, although the torque is multiplied by the belt drive to create a 90-lb-ft assist. The Hemi's eTorque motor is good for 16 horses and 49 lb-ft and, again, multiplied through a slightly different ratio for an assist of 130 lb-ft."

It looks like Jeep gave the torque rating of the 'eTorque system' as a whole and at the ICE's crankshaft, even though the BSG unit (aka 'eTorque unit' in article) has different rating due to the gear ratio reduction (or in this case belt ratio? pulley ratio?). Measuring at the crankshaft does make sense, as it is where manufactures traditionally measure the engine's power (even though IMO it should be at the wheels).

I think we can assume that the 2.0's BSG is also not at a 1:1 ratio, but I haven't been able to find any hard numbers other than the Continental Eco-Drive units are 7kW-15kW.

Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Hay guys I was looking on the Jeep website and it appears they are offering the 3.6 without eTorque again, Is this new or have I been under a rock?

What I did notice is that it is not available for Rubicon models or the Sahara with the Selec-Trac.

1631289309687.png
I wonder why this is coming at the end of the MY? Parts availability? Reliability issues?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I wonder why this is coming at the end of the MY? Parts availability? Reliability issues?
Jeep is probably just doing what they always do: Balancing CAFE credits/fines with production cost and expected sales price/volume.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I said it in the other thread and I’ll say it here, skip ESS and get eTorque. I’ve had both. ETorque is much better. 8yr/80k mile warranty on the battery. The Rams have been using it longer than the wranglers with no major issues as far as I know.

Sure, you can get the ESS and bypass start/stop, but why bother?

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I love my E-torque so far. My 2021 Rubicon 2Dr is getting 22-23 mpg and it straight up quick! This little Jeep MOVES!

Take it down a mountain pass. Slows down good with the regenerative braking. Has a near manual transmission breaking effect when you catch the right gear downshifting and requires little additional breaking effort. IMHO...the e-torque compliments the transmission and breaking side of things better than just added off the line push. Funny you never hear this mentioned.
Sponsored