2021 JLU Rubicon

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Installed mine today. Definitely do not agree with their install order. Much easier to first connect and tighten the turbo side and then drop in the filter side already assembled.

JB4/DV/Borla, and I noticed a significant difference in both throttle response and pull. The butt dyno says noticeable gains. Overall drivability much better.

1F49A820-8A6B-4BE6-B189-DFA4F7D3DA3E.jpeg

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Installed mine today. Definitely do not agree with their install order. Much easier to first connect and tighten the turbo side and then drop in the filter side already assembled.

JB4/DV/Borla, and I noticed a significant difference in both throttle response and pull. The butt dyno says noticeable gains. Overall drivability much better.

1F49A820-8A6B-4BE6-B189-DFA4F7D3DA3E.jpeg
Thanks for the post. How does it sound? Banks states "aggressive new induction growl". Does it sound good?

Nice to hear you're feeling more power with the new intake.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I already have an exhaust so I mainly notice more of the typical intake whoosh/sucking noise. It is definitely louder and more noticeable.

It is not off putting nor too loud. I can also hear the DV clearly now whereas I couldn’t even notice it before.

I’m definitely spooling faster and making more boost faster than before based upon my gauges. I didn’t do proper logs or a before and after (nor will I).

Debating the mishimoto turbo pipe because from this install it’s clear that the Jeep engineers made some strange decisions (I.e. its not packaging, fitment, etc.) on both pre and post turbo restrictions.

Thanks for the post. How does it sound? Banks states "aggressive new induction growl". Does it sound good?

Nice to hear you're feeling more power with the new intake.

-Steven

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I already have an exhaust so I mainly notice more of the typical intake whoosh/sucking noise. It is definitely louder and more noticeable.

It is not off putting nor too loud. I can also hear the DV clearly now whereas I couldn’t even notice it before.

I’m definitely spooling faster and making more boost faster than before based upon my gauges. I didn’t do proper logs or a before and after (nor will I).

Debating the mishimoto turbo pipe because from this install it’s clear that the Jeep engineers made some strange decisions (I.e. its not packaging, fitment, etc.) on both pre and post turbo restrictions.
Thanks for the reply! Keep us updated on your upgrades.

Remember the 2021 Jeepster Beach Concept shown at EJS this year? It had the 2.0L turbo putting out 340hp, 369 ft lbs tq. I spent some time talking with several Mopar/Jeep reps, all who were non committal. What was said was those numbers were achieved via a tune.

I have a buddy who will be racing a new 2.0L 2 Dr Wrangler in the Mint 400. He tells me has access via his builder/tuner in Utah to the same tune Jeep used. This is supposed to be happening this Fall. I'll post more info as I know more.

-Steven

Last edited:

Sponsored

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply! Keep us on what your upgrades.

Remember the 2021 Jeepster Beach Concept shown at EJS this year? It had the 2.0L turbo putting out 340hp, 369 ft lbs tq. I spent some time talking with several Mopar/Jeep reps, all who were non committal. What was said was those numbers were achieved via a tune.

I have a buddy who will be racing a new 2.0L 2 Dr Wrangler in the Mint 400. He tells me has access via his builder/tuner in Utah to the same tune Jeep used. This is supposed to be happening this Fall. I'll post more info as I know more.

-Steven
Please keep me updated. I feel that this engine is severely underrated. It can make plenty of boost, I believe that it’s software limiting the current output primarily.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Please keep me updated. I feel that this engine is severely underrated. It can make plenty of boost, I believe that it’s software limiting the current output primarily.
Will do Josh! I agree, I think we can safely get a lot more power out of the 2.0L.

I was asking them about intakes, downpipes, etc and more than one person told me it was done with a tune. We'll see what info comes out down the road.

-Steven

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Downpipes are a good option, but you can actually get to a point where the stock turbo wastegate can’t keep up, you’ll get a ton of over boost and the ECU will cut hard to try to offset. I’ve been nervous to do it.

I think that the tune could be the big one. Let me know more for sure!

Will do Josh! I agree, I think we can safely get a lot more power out of the 2.0L.

I was asking them about intakes, downpipes, etc and more than one person told me it was done with a tune. We'll see what info comes out down the road.

-Steven

aflyguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited 2.0
Occupation
Uber driver in the sky (pilot)
Definitely following for updates on this. Am on the fence between SB and Banks intakes. Any real difference other than look and cost??

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Sponsored

aflyguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited 2.0
Occupation
Uber driver in the sky (pilot)
Steven, what’s your take on the Moshimoto version? What tuner would you couple these intakes with?

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Steven, what’s your take on the Moshimoto version? What tuner would you couple these intakes with?
Hey David, I was on the Mishimoto site a few days back. This was after I saw Banks had a intercooler pipe for the turbo.

What I like about Mishimoto's approach is they've been working on the 2.0L Hurricane for a while now and seem to have a feel for it, developing both an intake and intercooler pipe for the 2.0L T. I've been looking at the Dyno charts that Mishimoto has posted and here's what stands out to me.

At the lower rpm range the stock is producing better numbers. The Mishimoto intake and intercooler pipe are producing much better flow numbers, but that seems to translate into higher rpm gains...not really where I spend a lot of time with my Jeep. So I don't see how these upgrades help me.

Now, back to your question, which tuner. I'm not going to make a recommendation as I have not completely researched this. I do believe a tune(er) is needed to bring this all together. I'm still pursuing info on the tune SRT used to get 340hp/369tq out of the 2.0L driveline on the Jeepster Beech Concept.

Anyone else care to add some knowledge to this conversation?

-Steven

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you say that Banks now has an intercooler pipe also?

Can you post a link?

Hey David, I was on the Mishimoto site a few days back. This was after I saw Banks had a intercooler pipe for the turbo.

What I like about Mishimoto's approach is they've been working on the 2.0L Hurricane for a while now and seem to have a feel for it, developing both an intake and intercooler pipe for the 2.0L T. I've been looking at the Dyno charts that Mishimoto has posted and here's what stands out to me.

At the lower rpm range the stock is producing better numbers. The Mishimoto intake and intercooler pipe are producing much better flow numbers, but that seems to translate into higher rpm gains...not really where I spend a lot of time with my Jeep. So I don't see how these upgrades help me.

Now, back to your question, which tuner. I'm not going to make a recommendation as I have not completely researched this. I do believe a tune(er) is needed to bring this all together. I'm still pursuing info on the tune SRT used to get 340hp/369tq out of the 2.0L driveline on the Jeepster Beech Concept.

Anyone else care to add some knowledge to this conversation?

-Steven

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Did you say that Banks now has an intercooler pipe also?

Can you post a link?
Hey Joshua! This is interesting, I was on the Banks website last week and they were showing the new 'Big-Ass' intake, an intake that was designed to use with the stock air box but with a larger, smoother intake tube as well as the new intercooler downpipe.

Today I see their website has been updated showing the new Diesel tuner. I wonder if they are updating their website and/or shuffling their product line. I'll keep and eye on it and see if they make additions.

-Steven

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hey Joshua! This is interesting, I was on the Banks website last week and they were showing the new 'Big-Ass' intake, an intake that was designed to use with the stock air box but with a larger, smoother intake tube as well as the new intercooler downpipe.

Today I see their website has been updated showing the new Diesel tuner. I wonder if they are updating their website and/or shuffling their product line. I'll keep and eye on it and see if they make additions.

-Steven
Hey All, I need to clear up something I stated that was incorrect.

I said in an earlier post that Banks Power had a intercooler pipe for the 2.0L Turbo. That is not the case. I had been researching intakes and intercooler/downpipes for the 2.0L and was jumping between 3 manufacturers, Banks, Mishimoto and AFE.

AFE Power makes an intercooler pipe as well as offering 4 different intake set-ups for the 2.0L. Mishimoto also makes an intake and intercooler pipe.

It was bothering me that I couldn't find the intercooler pipe I had mentioned and finally realized my mistake. Again, sorry for the inaccurate info posted earlier.

I've attached the AFE link to make it easy to browse.
https://afepower.com/vehicle-platforms/jeep/wrangler/2018-2019-2020-2021-jl-i4-2-0l-t

-Steven
Sponsored