What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny

(1*)Donkey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler jl
Having bought ourJLUR “Tilly” in February I’ve just started modding. Trying to be methodical and not flush $$ down the drain doing something only to change it a little later. Learned from my previous Jeeps. Best mod I have gotten so far is not even a mod. It’s the Toplift Pro. I practically giggle every time I can take off and put on my hard top by myself AND park Tilly under it in my garage. Though getting lift n 35’s next week so this opinion may change ;)
Top lift pro is a game changer if your doing it solo. Kind of a pain to assemble but well constructed and worth it in the end
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
im not sure which was more douchy. The roli’ flex in a thread like this? Or the inability to not point out you bought a rubicon.
Hmm. My jeep is an un-modded Sport and my watch is a Seiko. Do I have to stay on the porch and watch?

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
While I can definitely appreciate a lot of the mods listed here, I'm actually kind of amazed no one has mentioned my first mod. The radio antenna. I swapped that pesky metal whip out asap for a 13" Rydonair and have absolutely appreciated not only the curb/dash appeal upgrade but the performance it has delivered in return for the money spent. So far it's been 100% win in my book which makes the fairly cheap investment well worth it.

MJHuber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There are two for me. The Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop has been absolutely the one mod I have enjoyed most. I love the convertible feel while still having the hardtop on. Second is a dead pedal. That just makes driving on longer trips so much more comfortable.
Which dead pedal did you get?

Sponsored

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Personal preference ALWAYS trumps price in my book!!! Guess I was a super loser in my Cayman S & lowly Breitling AirWolf. Yes, I get the earlier post was a misunderstood attempt at humor 😉
DSCN0031.JPG
+1

Guess I should have kept my Ferrari, before I joined the bottom of the barrel~Super Loser club! Well at least I still have a lowly Rolex or two lying around to remind me of my former glory days. 🤣🤣🤣

All in fun! It's all good...we got the joke (aka misunderstanding). 😉
Jeep Wrangler JL What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny 002

Last edited:

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
No skimping here...What modification do you feel is worth it's weight in gold and why?

I will start..

For me it is KC lights. You pay a premium for these but, until you have put your hands on them, you dont understand what a work of art they are.
The best aftermarket option that is “worth every penny” or at least will be one day is my Warn winch. On the day sometime in the future it is needed it will be the best money spent on my Jeep.

The second best “worth every penny” was moving to MickeyThompson Boss AT tires. They greatly improved the handling feel and are far superior to the stock BFG KO2s off road.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Tier 1: Mods/accessories that improve quality of life:
  • Side steps for my short wife
  • Console organizer and tray (bought from the original US designer, not the Chinese knockoffs)
  • LED headlights
  • Hood struts
  • Hood decal to reduce sun glare
Tier 2:
  • Dashcam
  • Sunrider for Hardtop
Where did you get your hood decal from?

Jaeth

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doublerrealtygroup.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Realtor
Other than my 1st lift and tire setup, everything that I've done to my Jeep has been well worth every penny spent. In my opinion, the best thing that could ever be done when lifting and adding larger tires, is spending the extra money on the parts that strengthen against the increased forces that accompany the lift and tires.

Here's a few smaller things that I would recommend...

For improved driver interaction, the EVC iDrive throttle controller and B&M Racing extended t-case lever.
20210107_130018.jpg

A couple of stylish interior upgrades. The Angency6 red anodized aluminum freedom panel latches and the American Trail Products red anodized aluminum grab handle covers. The latter also serves as a more solid and hand filling grab point for climbing up and in.
1590836687907.jpg
1590836881169.jpg
I like the color pop, even if people don't tend to look up.

Do you feel the aluminum panel latches are more rigid and help make a better seal?

Jaeth

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doublerrealtygroup.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Realtor
To contribute:

67d phone mount is the best phone mount I've ever used. Never worried about if a bump or rock will throw my phone into the floor.

Next well worth the money will be the step & slider purchase to save my poor door hinges. Currently only see the LoD Destroyers as they are a functional step for the vertically challenged...

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I mentioned in the other thread about really expensive mods my Ursa Minor top. What I didn't really get into was that it's worth every penny.

I enjoy using my Jeep as a vehicle to take me out into the back country. Some of the photos of that are in the threads in the pics section, but if ya missed it here's two:
Jeep Wrangler JL What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny 1631338554566

Jeep Wrangler JL What Non-Factory Mod is Absolutely Worth Every Penny 1631338600460

I ordered my Ursa Minor top in August 2020 and took delivery in April 2021. Saved during that time to pay cash - sold my hard top to cover some of it. Dollar for dollar it's one of the best values for what I do.

I can drive out to virtually anywhere, find a spot to set up camp, and be functionally ready to sleep in 30 seconds. Getting it closed down is a whole 45 seconds. Driving around I don't recognize it's up there, mileage isn't impacted, and the top is built far more quality than OEM.

Not cheap...that's for sure. That said, for real, for nomads like me who prefer to explore all day and be ready at a moment's notice to pull over and call it for the day....it's worth its weight in gold.

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The single best mod on my 2019 JLUR has to be the 67 designs dash mounted phone holder. It took 10 minutes to install and I use it every single time I drive my Jeep. It keeps my phone in a perfect orientation whether on road or off and is rock solid strong.

Honorable Mentions:
1. Blackvue 900S-2 channel (front/rear) dashcam — It was nearly $500 for this unit but well worth it in my opinion. Luckily I haven’t needed to use any of the footage it captures but I know I’m well covered if I do.

2. Hooke Off Road dead pedal — This thing looks great and performs even better. My left foot has finally forgiven me for not getting a third pedal instead of the 8 speed.

3. Weathertech front/rear/cargo all weather floor mats — ‘nuff said.

4. Bolt hood lock —This was also a pretty straightforward install, it works perfectly and gives me peace of mind regarding the security of my engine bay. This really should be a standard factory option.

5. Top Lift Pro — This past summer I found a fully assembled used one on craigslist for only $400. Couldn’t believe my luck as more than once I’ve had it in my shopping cart at their website ready to hit pay at $900. Anyway, the thing is as easy to use as you can imagine. In the first 18 months of ownership I took my hardtop off exactly zero times. In the approximately two months I’ve had it there has only been one weekend that I didn’t use it.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase