Sponsored

What's Your Most Overpriced Part Or Accessory?

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
We've all spent asinine money on mods, but which one in your opinion was your most overpriced purchase? Made a joke about the Bestop Sunrider for hardtop in another thread and it got me thinking about this. It's a great mod, definitely the one I use most often, but at $900 (plus tax) its only a few hundred short of an ENTIRE SOFT TOP.

I also think an honorable mention is in order for BF Goodrich's $70 windshield wiper blades. That tire tread appearance is enticing, but I will not be seduced by you BFG! Not again....

Jeep Wrangler JL What's Your Most Overpriced Part Or Accessory? 1631277332536
Sponsored

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I would have to say definitely the Mopar Performance Rock Rails.
Are you talking about part # 82215165AB with the $925 msrp???? My God in Heaven. I know they are different, but I sold the ones that came on my Rubicon for $100.

Maybe Mopar should have their own category. Along with AEV.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, so I have both BFG wiper blades and Mopar performance rails, thanks for the honorable mention!

I paid less than $50 for the BFG wiper blades on Quadratec. I like KO2, which is arguably the best AT tire in the history of AT tire. The wiper blades look nice, and are really quiet. Are they $70 nice? It depends, people spent money on all sorts of unnecessary things on Jeep forum, it won't be the first one nor the last one.

Mopar performance rails are not worth their $900 MSRP, but there are so many Recon and Moab take offs on FB, you can easily score it with a fraction of the cost. They are one of the nicest frame mounted slider that wrap around pinch seams.

• Haha
Reactions: DHW

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Nothing. This is going to sound crazy, but I do my research, save my money, and hit every single sale, discount, and connection I can find or have made to help out/ hook me up. I DIY Fab clean solutions for everything I can, or borrow/ steal tech/ ideas from backpacking/ overlanding. It's part of my build philosophy with this Jeep, and a challenge I laid out for myself when I first started. So, it's something I'm CONSTANTLY focusing on.

That said, IF you're talking most expensive? Tires and wheels- 37's, by a LONG SHOT. Thankfully they weren't backordered.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Probably the $1500 Rockhard 4x4 aluminum bumper. But I wouldn't put a big heavy steel bumper on it. So this was the choice I made.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

AEV in general is extremely over priced for their stuff. as well as Warn winches. i will not pay 2000 bucks for a damn winch. i know the argument of you get what you pay for but my lord....... 2K Just my opinion dont bash me to hard LOL

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
AEV in general is extremely over priced for their stuff. as well as Warn winches. i will not pay 2000 bucks for a damn winch. i know the argument of you get what you pay for but my lord....... 2K Just my opinion dont bash me to hard LOL
Definitely agree about Warn. My $300 used Smitty X20 has worked just fine all zero times I've needed it.

As for AEV, I have their diff covers and think they were worth the extra $. As for their bumpers, I know they claim they are highly engineered and are made from Allspark metal or some shit, but I still wouldn't pay their asking price.

Sponsored

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
Are you talking about part # 82215165AB with the $925 msrp???? My God in Heaven. I know they are different, but I sold the ones that came on my Rubicon for $100.

Maybe Mopar should have their own category. Along with AEV.
Yes sir..but they were the look I was going for and I couldn't find anything else I liked. I figured if I could get $150 for the rails I am taking off it will end up being closer to reasonable. I do not have a lot of mods planned (but that never works) so I figured I could over spend on the ones I want.
That logic has worked so far with my wife, as long as I pay cash and she doesn't see the bill.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
We've all spent asinine money on mods, but which one in your opinion was your most overpriced purchase? Made a joke about the Bestop Sunrider for hardtop in another thread and it got me thinking about this. It's a great mod, definitely the one I use most often, but at $900 (plus tax) its only a few hundred short of an ENTIRE SOFT TOP.

I also think an honorable mention is in order for BF Goodrich's $70 windshield wiper blades. That tire tread appearance is enticing, but I will not be seduced by you BFG! Not again....

1631277332536.png
But they have an all-terrain tread...! 😫

The most overpriced mod on my Jeep has got to be the $900 Mopar LED headlamps + the $250 needed to install the wiring for the halos + the $330 Tazer required to activate the damn halos; a grand total of $1,500 for a pair of freaking LEDs...!

Other than greed, there’s no good reason a $52,000* Sahara should have come without LEDs.

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
The most overpriced mod on my Jeep has got to be the $900 Mopar LED headlamps + the $250 needed to install the wiring for the halos + the $330 Tazer required to activate the damn halos; a grand total of $1,500 for a pair of freaking LEDs...!

Other than greed, there’s no good reason a $52,000* Sahara should have come without LEDs.
I share your pain on this. I paid about the same for the headlights new, but just wired the halos into the fuse for the cigarette lighter. Can't use the 12v power source anymore, but the halos work great! Also worked fine that way w/o tazing.
Sponsored