First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I’m from MN and we don’t require vehicle inspections here. With that said, I’ve often wondered what an inspection consists of and what your experiences have been?
Sponsored

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
no inspections in WA. we used to have bi-annual smog checks but those have gone away.

Sholmberg0311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Occupation
Adult baby sitter
In PA its about 40$ for inspection (PASS or FAIL) and depending on the county another 40$ dollars for a useless emissions sticker. Its sad we have to pay to make sure our vehicles are up to par to drive on the shitty pot hole roads here in PA. But lights and signals, tread depth, wipers, suspension, glass, exhaust... etc.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Pretty basic checklist here in Virginia: https://vatire.com/car-maintenance-tips/virginia-vehicle-inspection-check-list/.

Most common things I've heard people fail for include windshields, brakes, and bulbs. Most service stations and even oil change places have state certified inspectors, so it's very easy to find a place to get it done. Cost is around $20-25 if I remember correctly.
Wow, they certainly are thorough! What a pain to do though. Glad I don’t have to worry about this!

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Arizona does a physical inspection to make sure the cats, mufflers, etc...are all in place.

Then they check emissions with a tailpipe sniffer, revving the engine up to 2500 RPM. For diesels they perform an opacity test to check the amount of soot coming from the tail pipe.

Lastly they check the PCM for any failed sensors or diagnostic errors.

They don't test new vehicles until their 5th year of operation.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
NH has a basic physical inspection and a ODBII plug in to check for emission codes. Pretty easy for $40. No tailpipe sniffers here

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Utah, at least in Salt Lake County they did away with the safety inspection/emissions and just have a emissions test every other year till the vehicle is 5 years old I think then emissions every year till 25 years old or something....I haven't had a vehicle past the 5 year mark in a while. Usual emissions test, plug into the OBD2 port check for system goodness and then rev it up a bit and check tailpipe with sniffer, also a visual check too I believe. It's usually about 40 bucks but there are places that have specials or coupons.
Sponsored