Sponsored

Would you get the the rock-trac t-case for your rubicon if you could do it all over again?

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
Jeep is making it seem like the rock-trac is the superior option as it's the only option on the 392 and 4xe rubicon, well the 392 isn't exactly a rock-trac but it is a full-time system. I'm planning my JLURXR and stuck between the two transfer case options. I understand how they work but all the 4x4's in my life have been cherokee and grand cherokee full time systems, which are amazing. Where do you stand on the select-trac and rock-trac?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
There is no full time transfer case despite Jeeps misrepresentation. There is an auto engage part time option but that is not a full time system. On a Rubicon it is part time or auto engage. If you like the idea of an auto setting, order it. Once you select 4wd hi or low there is no difference in function. Auto will engage 4wd hi if it detects wheel slip from front to rear.

Vrrooom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The Auto option in the full time transfer case is great for adverse weather. Snow/Rain, etc. The standard 4:1 has you manually switching between the 2H and 4H. It's not as convenient. The CV joint also drives smoother. So it really comes down to your use and preference for the Jeep. If you live in a snow belt, the full time option would probably be much better. If your in TX, the part-time is probably all you need. Although, I prefer the full time case regardless.

As for the CV being weaker, I doubt it. The Rubicon comes with heavier duty shafts than the Sahara and so the CV axle on it would likely be much stronger than the Sahara where people have had issues with it breaking. And if its being run on the 392, it'll be fine for the non 392 Rubicon. In addition, some of the best aftermarket shafts are CV. Not saying the stock one is as strong, but the inherent design of a CV is not worse. Maybe if you're building a hardcore rock buggy there could be a preference.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I personally prefer the original part-time Rock Trak t-case in my 2019 JLUR. It's left up to me to decide when and where 4hi is needed, rather than relying on a clutch pack to either lock the front axle in 4hi or to modulate front traction in 4hi Auto. I added a B&M extended t-case lever that puts the shift knob in a more ergonomic position. That makes it easier and quicker to use on the fly.
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you get the the rock-trac t-case for your rubicon if you could do it all over again? 20201105_092810

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
My Ram has never had 4-Auto engaged. I always figure if I need 4Hi, I'll put it there. No reason to have the front axle turning if it doesn't need to.

If you find yourself shifting from 2 to 4 and back on a regular basis currently, it may be worth it.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Blows me away the driving responsibilities people are willing to abdicate to computers... If the road looks slippery, use 4wd. I do not understand relying on the reactionary engagement when your own eyes and butt should be able to discern whether or not you need 4wd.

I think the CV's are fine, that wouldn't worry me. It is just a "luxury option" for the lazy to have auto engagement. I have lived in big snow country all my life. I have had auto engagement systems. I would never purposely order one and pay extra for it myself.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
If you find yourself shifting from 2 to 4 and back on a regular basis currently, it may be worth it.
If you find yourself doing this, you are probably overthinking it and doing it wrong...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As usual, “best” depends on many factors, including how you intend to use the vehicle.

If you are going to be driving in winter conditions, a transfer case with a full-time feature would be my preferred choice.

Keep in mind, though, that unlike the Selec-Tracs in your past, which was paired to a rear LSD, Rubicon’s full-time transfer case will work with open differentials until the moment you decide to lock them.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Caveman044

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
As usual, “best” depends on many factors, including how you intend to use the vehicle.

If you are going to be driving in winter conditions, a transfer case with a full-time feature would be my preferred choice.

Keep in mind, though, that unlike the Selec-Tracs in your past, which was paired to a rear LSD, Rubicon’s full-time transfer case will work with open differentials until the moment you decide to lock them.

Good luck.
Is that true with the off-road plus feature? I thought that allows the rear locker to be on in 4H and assumed that applied to 4H auto.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Is that true with the off-road plus feature? I thought that allows the rear locker to be on in 4H and assumed that applied to 4H auto.
Quoting forum member @Reinen:

“Off Road + does the following:
  1. Allows you to drive at higher speeds with rear locker engaged.
  2. Disables Traction Control
  3. Adjusts throttle for off road driving.
  4. Adjusts auto trans shift points for off road use.
It's particularly well suited to sand.”

Doesn’t look like Off-Road Plus was designed for winter driving.

Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I like it simple because it gives me every option. I like having control off road, and with the system I still have access to 4 hi and 4 lo.

But, there are times, like when driving through some of the crappy mixed weather that the northeast presents, that I don’t want to have to hop back and forth between 4 hi and 2 hi.

It’s also nice for when my wife drives since she doesn’t want to have to select the correct mode for the correct situation. Same goes for my a soon to be driver in the house.

My two cents, for what it’s worth, is it gives you more options and doesn’t take away from any capability.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I personally prefer the original part-time Rock Trak t-case in my 2019 JLUR. It's left up to me to decide when and where 4hi is needed, rather than relying on a clutch pack to either lock the front axle in 4hi or to modulate front traction in 4hi Auto. I added a B&M extended t-case lever that puts the shift knob in a more ergonomic position. That makes it easier and quicker to use on the fly.
Jeep Wrangler JL Would you get the the rock-trac t-case for your rubicon if you could do it all over again? 20201105_092810
Except with the 4hi auto you still get to make that choice, as the 4hi auto is in addition to the regular 4 hi section. You just get the added functionality of the FT feature when it’s advantageous.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Except with the 4hi auto you still get to make that choice, as the 4hi auto is in addition to the regular 4 hi section. You just get the added functionality of the FT feature when it’s advantageous.
I believe @Headbarcode was referencing that the addition of 4 Auto swaps to a clutch type engagement on the T-case instead of direct chain drive.

Last edited:

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Quoting forum member @Reinen:

“Off Road + does the following:
  1. Allows you to drive at higher speeds with rear locker engaged.
  2. Disables Traction Control
  3. Adjusts throttle for off road driving.
  4. Adjusts auto trans shift points for off road use.
It's particularly well suited to sand.”

Doesn’t look like Off-Road Plus was designed for winter driving.
Thanks for the mention. I 2nd that, Off-Road Plus is not for winter driving.

4WD Auto is better for winter pavement than 4WD. The reason is that 4WD locks 1 front tire and 1 rear tire at the same rotation speed. In turns, none of the tires will travel the same distance so 1 tire will be forced to skid (when it otherwise wouldn't) and lose its lateral traction holding you in the turn. This is why it's common to see 4WD vehicles skidding off the road in turns. The 4WD drivetrain will force one tire to skid regardless of whether power is applied or not and you suddenly have only 3 tires holding you to the turn. Of course, front and/or rear lockers also force the same tire skidding.

4WD Auto will not force a front and rear tire to turn at the same speed. Therefore, you can hold turns at a faster speed in 4WD Auto than 4WD HI. It is almost but not quite as good as AWD on winter pavement. AWD allows splitting power between front and rear 0-100%, 4WD Auto only splits power 100% rear or 50/50 front & rear.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I'm aware of the Select Trac still having all of the standard drive mode options. I'm just not a fan of having a clutch based connection point vs gears and chain. I don't know enough about the internals of either t-case to comment about the robustness of the p/t vs f/t Rock Trac versions, but not having clutch wear in the lubricating oil is a plus. Again, not making any claims about longevity. Just my thoughts.

I fully relate to the select tracs convenience, in not having to be as on top of it because it will kick in as needed. That's been one of the main reasons why I've always opted for automatic transmissions. I'd rather just throw it in D and leave my hand free for the radio and/or my girls thigh.
Sponsored