2022 model year changes- 4xe

PCTechnologist

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 4xe
Question for you: does CarPlay/Android Auto work if you plug into the USB port on the center console? Had a 2020 Rubicon; no issues. Traded to a 2021 4xe Rubicon (insert eye roll) and the USB port in the center console disconnects randomly (every x minutes) when connected to CarPlay. You have to use the USB port in the dash to get it to stay connected.

Blindly hoping that whatever magic flash your Wrangler has that mine doesn’t has fixed that :)
I found the same issue (2019 JLUR to 2021 4xeR) with the center console USB, so annoying. I have a wireless carplay dongle and now it's hanging on my dash. I planed on a nice clean install in the console.
Sponsored

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
Question for you: does CarPlay/Android Auto work if you plug into the USB port on the center console? Had a 2020 Rubicon; no issues. Traded to a 2021 4xe Rubicon (insert eye roll) and the USB port in the center console disconnects randomly (every x minutes) when connected to CarPlay. You have to use the USB port in the dash to get it to stay connected.

Blindly hoping that whatever magic flash your Wrangler has that mine doesn’t has fixed that :)
We only use the in-dash plug for our phones, never the in-console plug because all of our car phone cords are USB-C. The only eye rolling I'm doing after upgrading our '18 JLUR to the '21 JLUR 4xE is from the massive improvement in POWERRRRRRRRRRR

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 model year changes- 4xe jeremy-clarkson

yngrshr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO
I found the same issue (2019 JLUR to 2021 4xeR) with the center console USB, so annoying. I have a wireless carplay dongle and now it's hanging on my dash. I planed on a nice clean install in the console.
Wait, really? This seems to be an issue with your truck, then. My center console works perfectly using the wireless CarPlay dongle.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe

I’ve had this same experience, pretty annoying and seems like a trivial error to not get it right.

OP
OP

sethz

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
Stelantis in getting ready to unveil the 2022 Grand Cherokee 4xe next week. However with order books set to open in 2 weeks, still no information on the 2022 Wrangler 4xe.

Sponsored

GroovyGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WK2 Limited, 21 JLUR 4xe
I don't get why they made it so big. LEDs are tiny, they could have made that whole assembly not take up the whole dash pocket.

I kind of like it on the bigger side, easier to see it from afar if it's parked in a time limited charging spot.

GroovyGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd heard that they were planning a firmware release for this sometime in the near future. Glad to hear they added this feature sooner than we'd anticipated.
Yea, someone posted that their dealer ran thru a bunch of TSBs last week and that Max Regen keeping a persistent thru power cycle was on there.

OP
OP

sethz

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
I kind of like it on the bigger side, easier to see it from afar if it's parked in a time limited charging spot.
One could easily track charge levels from an app from as far as you'd like :LOL:

GroovyGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One could easily track charge levels from an app from as far as you'd like :LOL:
True that! But the current QnX based system of U Connect 4 kind of sucks for app connectivity. Hopefully the Android based U connect 5 brings more to the table.

Id love to see an auto make put all vehicle output data on an MQTT stream. No controls, but just vehicle status so any generic app can be made as a dashboard.

Billet4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
True that! But the current QnX based system of U Connect 4 kind of sucks for app connectivity. Hopefully the Android based U connect 5 brings more to the table.

Id love to see an auto make put all vehicle output data on an MQTT stream. No controls, but just vehicle status so any generic app can be made as a dashboard.
The lack of charge monitoring app is all on the FCA/Stellantis Software Factory and/or U Connect services team, and has nothing to do with the capabilities of U Connect 4 itself. BTW, the launch of U Connect 5 has been a shitshow. As it turns out, Android doesn't necessarily make the system better. I'd personally rather NOT have an Android based system if it included GAS.

It's highly unlikely that any auto manufacturer is going to make all vehicle data available as any type of data feed to the outside world. Even in the case of the Android systems, any CAN bus data routed to the Vehicle HAL has strict app level credentials/permissions required for access. In a BEV, it's not even required to have an OBD-II port, so enjoy the ability to access the data you can right now.

Sponsored

GroovyGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The lack of charge monitoring app is all on the FCA/Stellantis Software Factory and/or U Connect services team, and has nothing to do with the capabilities of U Connect 4 itself. BTW, the launch of U Connect 5 has been a shitshow. As it turns out, Android doesn't necessarily make the system better. I'd personally rather NOT have an Android based system if it included GAS.

It's highly unlikely that any auto manufacturer is going to make all vehicle data available as any type of data feed to the outside world. Even in the case of the Android systems, any CAN bus data routed to the Vehicle HAL has strict app level credentials/permissions required for access. In a BEV, it's not even required to have an OBD-II port, so enjoy the ability to access the data you can right now.
Good points, I can see the motivation to get away from QnX though.. It's become a garbage RTOS. They have really made some stupid business decisions over the years. My company has had to pretty much redevelop everything for VxWorks and FreeRTOS because QnX has reduced their processor support by more than 75%. They no longer target platforms like they used too, and in situations where there is a chip shortage.... really locks you in a hole.

Billet4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Good points, I can see the motivation to get away from QnX though.. It's become a garbage RTOS. They have really made some stupid business decisions over the years. My company has had to pretty much redevelop everything for VxWorks and FreeRTOS because QnX has reduced their processor support by more than 75%. They no longer target platforms like they used too, and in situations where there is a chip shortage.... really locks you in a hole.
The QNX hypervisor solution is on the outs as well. I assume this is a byproduct of them being sold off multiple times over the last several years. I know there's been many high level defections over there during this same time.

OP
OP

sethz

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
Oh well we'll find out tomorrow. Order books open on the 6th ! Keeping fingers crossed.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
You guys seem to be in the know. What does Tesla use? I've read they are able to fluidly adapt to the chip supply.

GroovyGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You guys seem to be in the know. What does Tesla use? I've read they are able to fluidly adapt to the chip supply.
Tesla uses its own secret homegrown OS that is based on Linux.

UConnect 5 (Android) is a little similar in this case, cause its also Linux based and can run on more platforms than the QNX based systems like UConnect 4. Being Linux based makes it way more portable.

That's not to say QNX is a bad OS, its a solid realtime operating system. They've just really limited their chip support over the past few years. I think Automotive is still QNX's number one, but it's also heavily used in space/aerospace. Even ride controls at theme parks use it.
Sponsored