First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I'm waiting for my 2 door JL to be built. Need a soft top but really dislike the oem softop - just hate the safari look and the sloppy look of the rods and that it doesn't go all the way down out of sight like my jk soft top does. With that said does anyone know:

Does the suntop "roll" down? Saw that phrase on their website but not sure what it meant.

How long to take a suntop on/off completely if I have it in but want to go topless?

On the suntop website there seems to be solid rods or plates or something on top of the tonneau cover on the mojito jeep pics...what are those?

How long to remove/ put on Mopar softtop completely if I don't want it blocking my view when down?

Considering just using the top lift pro to go hard top on/off on day to day basis but not sure how long I'll love that solution. Really means I'd have to make a firm decision each morning.

Not interested in sunrider options thanks for any help!

Here's a video of someone pulling the suntop off and putting it back on; it's a JK, but I think it's largely the same for the JL version:

The back windows look like a pretty big hassle, but they do roll/fold into a much smaller footprint than the OEM windows. The top part rolls forward so it's largely out of the way when you're opened up (it may also act as a bit of a wind deflector?). There could be some merit in getting just the top part of the Suntop and using it as a bimini top that's basically water-tight in the front where it matters most.

As for removing the OEM soft top... there are two bolts on either side to remove the main mechanism, then you can lift it off. It's just a bit awkward to deal with because it wants to shift around and you kind of need to pull it out just right to keep it from scraping the rollbars. I got in the habit of wrapping it in a few places with large velcro straps/luggage straps/lashing straps or the like, but it's still kinda tricky. The door surrounds and guide rails are a couple more bolts each if you want to get completely naked, but I didn't really think it was needed to strip it down; it's not like the sheet metal rollbars look all awesome when that stuff is removed.

I have a hardtop now if that tells you anything about how much patience I had left for the OEM soft top's quirks. I would still like a "waterproof" bimini or bowless soft top that stores in the Jeep and is quick enough to deploy for surprise weather or cold mornings... but I haven't really found "the one" yet.
Sponsored

Albany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy's Sport 2 door manual
I'm still disappointed that we're not seeing more aftermarket soft top options for the 2-door. I liked the factory top on my JK that folded all the way down and out of view.

I've removed the soft top completely a few times and it is pretty simple and just takes a few minutes (you get faster after a time or two of practice). Remove 2 bolts on each side where the soft top frame attaches to the roll bar, then it just lifts out of the way.

If you're going to have it off for a few days, I like to spend a few more minutes and take off the door surrounds and channels/mounting brackets attached to the roll bar, but not necessary to do.
Thought I was the only one who liked the jk top better! Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound awful to fully remove the soft top...

Albany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy's Sport 2 door manual
Here's a video of someone pulling the suntop off and putting it back on; it's a JK, but I think it's largely the same for the JL version:

The back windows look like a pretty big hassle, but they do roll/fold into a much smaller footprint than the OEM windows. The top part rolls forward so it's largely out of the way when you're opened up (it may also act as a bit of a wind deflector?). There could be some merit in getting just the top part of the Suntop and using it as a bimini top that's basically water-tight in the front where it matters most.

As for removing the OEM soft top... there are two bolts on either side to remove the main mechanism, then you can lift it off. It's just a bit awkward to deal with because it wants to shift around and you kind of need to pull it out just right to keep it from scraping the rollbars. I got in the habit of wrapping it in a few places with large velcro straps/luggage straps/lashing straps or the like, but it's still kinda tricky. The door surrounds and guide rails are a couple more bolts each if you want to get completely naked, but I didn't really think it was needed to strip it down; it's not like the sheet metal rollbars look all awesome when that stuff is removed.

I have a hardtop now if that tells you anything about how much patience I had left for the OEM soft top's quirks. I would still like a "waterproof" bimini or bowless soft top that stores in the Jeep and is quick enough to deploy for surprise weather or cold mornings... but I haven't really found "the one" yet.
Dave thanks that helps me a lot. I'm with you on the waterproof Bimini. That's something I'd get the first minute it comes out. If I ever find the answer I'll be sure to post it but I'm not too hopeful. Probably will just go hardtop on and off for now.

TimJL

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I'm really hoping that bestop will add a tan soft top version for their JL line up soon. Can't find a OEM tan soft top for 2 door!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thought I was the only one who liked the jk top better! Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound awful to fully remove the soft top...
The zippered rear window on the JK tops was superior, in my opinion. And, while honoring past tops, roll- up side and rear windows need to come back.
" EZTRUNK" has a setup that keeps the soft top rear window up and supported while accessing the storage area. It hinges and folds, that would be my second purchase after a soft top

Sponsored

Glovetown

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
Oh that looks much better than I thought.
Looks like it folds all the way down like my jk soft top and less rods and whatever when it is down. Thanks for pointing it out.

Any problems up and down?
No issues at all. The sunroof is pretty big too.

Veloruche

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep JLR
I'm really hoping that bestop will add a tan soft top version for their JL line up soon. Can't find a OEM tan soft top for 2 door!
I just had Benny at @AllMoparParts.com price out all the components to build a Tan 2 door soft top. It’s nearly $4000

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I just had Benny at @AllMoparParts.com price out all the components to build a Tan 2 door soft top. It’s nearly $4000
I was interested in this myself; I priced it out to $1600 for the Mopar tan top and MasterTop tan windows (just the fabric parts) on Quadratec. I don't know how exact the Mopar and MasterTop fabrics are, but I'll bet they are the same. You'd still need donor hardware from another top if you don't have one though. If your donor top is black twill, I'd think you could sell the fabric to a sailcloth owner to recoup some of the cost.

Bee-Rad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
The zippered rear window on the JK tops was superior, in my opinion. And, while honoring past tops, roll- up side and rear windows need to come back.
" EZTRUNK" has a setup that keeps the soft top rear window up and supported while accessing the storage area. It hinges and folds, that would be my second purchase after a soft top
YES! The roll-up rear window was awesome to get out of the way with the elastic bands that snapped around it, and the flat side windows made them easy to store against the back seat and under/behind the top that was folded back.

The big, bulky plastic frame that's part of the side windows takes up too much space, and the channels on the sides of the back window make it pretty much impossible to roll up.

Sponsored

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
I have a trektop on my LJ, it is a great top, installed it myself in 45min. I was going to do one on my JL, but I am trading it in when my 4xe rubi gets in so no point really. I am mostly with my top off anyway, even during the "cold" months. I am originally from NJ, so cold in California is lol compared to what I grew up with.

Oto JLR

First Name
Oto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 door
Any idea why Mopar or Bestop or other vendor is not offering 2door JL tan soft top? I saw some pictures in net so it is available to select the stock version but not as after market option...Thanks
Sponsored