Sponsored

Power steering pump overheating issue on 2020 Eco diesel.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
The dash lights up like a Christmas tree and the message center yells at you. Had this happen when my Jeep was a few days old (on 35’s) in Moab at 105° and a few days later on Imogene pass at 60°, but obviously very high elevation. Didn’t lose any performance, but wasn’t a fun experience seeing all the lights in a 3-7 day old Jeep. I’ll be adding additional cooling at some point, likely when I go to 37’s or bigger.
That sounds like loose fuses. Have you checked them?
Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I've wheeled with my 37s several times now in ambient temperatures exceeding 100 degrees and at elevations exceeding 5k ft. I did Imogene, Black Bear, and Ophir Passes last October, but was still on the OEM wheels/tires. I have not had any trouble . . . yet.

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
I went to Silver Lake Sand Dunes and Holly Oaks this weekend. I got the overheat warning only once during a slow crawl through some brush. Temp was probably mid-80s. I'm stock w/ 35". Will keep an eye out.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I have experienced the same problem. I had my steering gearbox replaced last December. Never overheated until May. It was about 100 degrees and dry. I am in Texas and while climbing a really difficult area the lights lit up and stated the steering was overheating. I just parked for awhile and let it cool down. So far it hasn't happened again, but I was really pushing it that day.

It isn't fuses or anything else...just hot as can be under the hood. I installed hood scoops last week so I will see if this helps.

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Happened to me this past July in Moab. No issues in Ouray/Telluride/Silverton.
I have had this issue twice. The message came up while I was on a steep rocky trail that required a lot of steering. The message of steering system is overheating and may effect performance. I saw no problem with steering and as soon as I turned off the engine the message went away. Same story when down at corral canyon. But it was close to 100 that day. I asked the service people about it and was told that this is common but to keep an eye on it if the message doesn't go away after cooling down.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I too have experienced this problem while out on the trail. It took me a bit by surprise as I did not think it was a strenuous day on the trail (Turkey Creek, near Cleator, AZ) . . . ambient temperature at the time was 93 degrees and elevation of about 3K ft.

Steering performance WAS NOT affected despite the dash warning light (which indicated steering MAY be affected). As soon as the dash notified me of the problem, I looked at the OffRoad pages gauge cluster and saw oil temperature was a moderate 233 degrees, coolant was 221 degrees and transmission was under 200 degrees. I activated cooldown mode feature of the Tazer JL Mini non-menu live function (which turns the engine fan on high) and within 5 minutes the steering icon warning light turned off, and did not return for the duration of the trail run.

Dagny07

First Name
Dagny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 2020 Powerwagon, 1956 F-100
I had a similar issue when navigating a long and steep shelf road early on in my ownership. However, it happened when I wasn't using off road plus and was trying to manually disengage the ESC. I had a hard time navigating the obstacles and received the power steering overheating message consistently on the trip until I started using off road plus and manually shifting up obstacles in 4H. I had the same issue in 4L too. I now use off road plus every time I am navigating any obstacles and haven't encountered the issue since then (except on very technical wheeling that absolutely requires 4L). Could be coincidence, but its worked so far.

Sponsored

Dieselfumes57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine overheated a couple times when I was riding around on the alpine loop during the summer. Seems to be common

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Hey Everyone,

Well, after two weeks in Moab I did experience some steering issues. No overheating warning lights; but, the steering operation wasn't as smooth as before the trip.

I've been cycling the steering and removing/replacing fluid in the reservoir in an attempt to get the fluid back up to virgin condition.

I just wrote Hayden this morning about options for a cooler. The long heat sink cooler that is popular on the JL is going to be tough to mount with the bumper that I have, and the winch.

Ours is a 2021.

Jeff

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey Everyone,

Well, after two weeks in Moab I did experience some steering issues. No overheating warning lights; but, the steering operation wasn't as smooth as before the trip.

I've been cycling the steering and removing/replacing fluid in the reservoir in an attempt to get the fluid back up to virgin condition.

I just wrote Hayden this morning about options for a cooler. The long heat sink cooler that is popular on the JL is going to be tough to mount with the bumper that I have, and the winch.

Ours is a 2021.

Jeff
Hi Jeff2018,
We'd suggest having your concerns diagnosed by your local dealer. If you need any additional assistance, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Jeep Cares
Sponsored