Service shifter, ABS, Traction control and CAN C Bus problems

CaptainHook

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Ok so I’ve been fighting this problem with my Jeep where it will drive fine for a day and then the next day it is undriveable. Transmission is locked in park, getting 40 engine codes, ABS light, Traction control light, my gas gauge goes wild and I have no range listed. I do some grid road driving as I live out in the country. I just lost my warranty 4 months ago. I have a 2.5” lift on 35’s and a couple light bars but everything else is pretty much stock. Dealer quoted me a day at least of work to figure out the problem at $150 an hour and I can’t afford that so looking for some insight onto it if anyone else has had this problem or similar. So far I have reset the ecu with no fix, codes come and go. Batteries are at 12.5v which isn’t perfect condition but they seem to work fine. The grounds have been checked and gone over with di electric grease to protect them.

1B815B0F-971D-45F1-A565-B8CB4703A5D8.jpeg
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Original batteries? These problems are typical of failing battery or batteries.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
What these guys said ^

@Rhinebeck01 can tell you in much better detail than anyone else on the forum, but your voltage and lights all point to BOTH of your batteries in need of replacement.

OP
OP

CaptainHook

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Original batteries? These problems are typical of failing battery or batteries.
Battery is dated 08/19 and I purchased it used in March 2020

Sponsored

lolly4115

First Name
Krystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon w/ Sky One-Touch
My 2019 Jeep Rubicon has been at the dealership since August 30th and they are still trying to find out what is causing those same issues. They replaced the transmission shifter, thought that was good, we picked it up and when we dropped off our rental and I got back in the Jeep with my husband, it started going crazy again with the exact same issues. We called the dealership and they sent someone to pick us up and had to have the Jeep towed back to their service department. Still have it now. Called last week saying they think it might be my after market light bars, wench, but I have documentation that the service shifter had came on twice before those were installed. But they disconnected them all anyway, and the problems are still occurring. Now, the technician is working with a someone from Chrysler, but they have to communicate by chat or email. So they said it is taking a while, since the dealership technician has to answer questions & wait for the Chrysler technician to respond and vice-versa. I’m at my wits end!!!! Is it this ESS that is causing the problems or the
Ok so I’ve been fighting this problem with my Jeep where it will drive fine for a day and then the next day it is undriveable. Transmission is locked in park, getting 40 engine codes, ABS light, Traction control light, my gas gauge goes wild and I have no range listed. I do some grid road driving as I live out in the country. I just lost my warranty 4 months ago. I have a 2.5” lift on 35’s and a couple light bars but everything else is pretty much stock. Dealer quoted me a day at least of work to figure out the problem at $150 an hour and I can’t afford that so looking for some insight onto it if anyone else has had this problem or similar. So far I have reset the ecu with no fix, codes come and go. Batteries are at 12.5v which isn’t perfect condition but they seem to work fine. The grounds have been checked and gone over with di electric grease to protect them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Service shifter, ABS, Traction control and CAN C Bus problems 1B815B0F-971D-45F1-A565-B8CB4703A5D8

lolly4115

First Name
Krystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2019 Jeep Rubicon has been at the dealership since August 30th and they are still trying to find out what is causing those same issues. They replaced the transmission shifter, thought that was good, we picked it up and when we dropped off our rental and I got back in the Jeep with my husband, it started going crazy again with the exact same issues. We called the dealership and they sent someone to pick us up and had to have the Jeep towed back to their service department. Still have it now. Called last week saying they think it might be my after market light bars, wench, but I have documentation that the service shifter had came on twice before those were installed. But they disconnected them all anyway, and the problems are still occurring. Now, the technician is working with a someone from Chrysler, but they have to communicate by chat or email. So they said it is taking a while, since the dealership technician has to answer questions & wait for the Chrysler technician to respond and vice-versa. I’m at my wits end!!!! Is it this ESS that is causing the problems or the 2.0Turbo engine!

lolly4115

First Name
Krystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Btw, the first time we lost power steering was Aug 26th while doing Poughkeepsie in Colorado on vacation. We had done Black Bear the previous day. But it ruined the following days of our vacation. Thank goodness we always trailer our Jeep now . Learned that lesson with my 2008, when my break line broke. Had to pinch it off to stop the leak. Finished jeeping the rest of the trip, but had to drive it all the way back to Oklahoma. Big Tex Trailer was bought shortly afterwards and they are trailered from now on! 😆

lolly4115

First Name
Krystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What these guys said ^

@Rhinebeck01 can tell you in much better detail than anyone else on the forum, but your voltage and lights all point to BOTH of your batteries in need of replacement.
They told me it wasn’t my batteries, when mine did this.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CaptainHook

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
My 2019 Jeep Rubicon has been at the dealership since August 30th and they are still trying to find out what is causing those same issues. They replaced the transmission shifter, thought that was good, we picked it up and when we dropped off our rental and I got back in the Jeep with my husband, it started going crazy again with the exact same issues. We called the dealership and they sent someone to pick us up and had to have the Jeep towed back to their service department. Still have it now. Called last week saying they think it might be my after market light bars, wench, but I have documentation that the service shifter had came on twice before those were installed. But they disconnected them all anyway, and the problems are still occurring. Now, the technician is working with a someone from Chrysler, but they have to communicate by chat or email. So they said it is taking a while, since the dealership technician has to answer questions & wait for the Chrysler technician to respond and vice-versa. I’m at my wits end!!!! Is it this ESS that is causing the problems or the 2.0Turbo engine!
I ended up finding out what the problem to mine was, it was my command start. I disconnected it and all my problems have went away and hasn’t come back in 2 weeks. I did some research on the starter that was installed ( bought the Jeep used I did not have it installed) and it is a starter made for Kia’s and it clearly was not installed properly (looks like a kid installed it) anyways that had fixed my problem. Best of luck with yours!

Mack.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport LJ
Battery is dated 08/19 and I purchased it used in March 2020
You have gotten far more time out of those batteries than most people ever do. Put cheap batteries in there and you will live to regret it. The low voltage can cost a ton in damage to the modules, they fail when starved of power. Most batteries are 1 year warranty junk and can be the death of your MANY modules. The best way to destroy your power tools is to use a long extension cord due to the voltage drop at the end of the long extension. The same goes for all electronics. My over-equipped Jag can drain the battery completely in 2 weeks if not driver. All the electronic memories are a constant drain on the battery, same with the upscale all-power Jeeps. If you like your car get a battery tender on it if you don't drive it 2 days a week.

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS 2.0
Just posting to say that, if this happens to you, check all the fuses, wiring, and electrical/computer connections you can find before you let the dealership or a shop lead you down the rabbit hole of replacing this, that, and the other module, or even a battery.

I've got a 2019 JLU 2.0T. I had a highway collision with a large runaway tractor tire -- it hit my front left tire, no body damage, but enough of an impact to irreparably damage my axle. Starting that day, the Jeep was frequently refusing to go into gear upon crank, throwing as many as 20 P- and U-codes, showing Service 4WD, Service Shifter, Service ABS, Service ETS, Service Stop/Start. Once it cut the power steering pump while driving, and on another occasion or two the TCM forced an engine stop. This was every single day, all day.

Axle was replaced, rear regeared to match the new front. But the computer problems persisted. The shop kept telling me it was my batteries, especially with the finnicky aux setup on these things. But I had seen the battery gremlins before, and while this was vaguely similar, I knew it wasn't that.

So one afternoon I had a few beers at home and got pissed about a still-undrivable vehicle with a brand new axle. I went out in the driveway and started pushing fuses, tugging on and moving wiring that looked a little too close to hot metal inside and underneath. I also pulled out the glove box and pushed on the CAN bus connectors back there (very easy to do, no tools needed), since one of the persistent codes had been the med-speed CAN. I really did not know what I was doing, but I was determined to check and poke, gently, on everything I could get to in a hot minute.

Guess what? After two and a half months of constant hell, the CEL immediately went off, and it has been totally fine for the last 500 miles - whereas it used to freak out about every 10-20 at a minimum.

So, I have no idea which of the fifty things I pulled and pushed on was the problem, but one of them was! Only thing I can think of is that the collision must've knocked something just a little loose. Check your wires and plugs, I tell ya. That very well could be the issue, and even a minor loose connection is enough to make the whole vehicle go nuts.

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS 2.0
Just posting to say that, if this happens to you, check all the fuses, wiring, and electrical/computer connections you can find before you let the dealership or a shop lead you down the rabbit hole of replacing this, that, and the other module, or even a battery.

I've got a 2019 JLU 2.0T. I had a highway collision with a large runaway tractor tire -- it hit my front left tire, no body damage, but enough of an impact to irreparably damage my axle. Starting that day, the Jeep was frequently refusing to go into gear upon crank, throwing as many as 20 P- and U-codes, showing Service 4WD, Service Shifter, Service ABS, Service ETS, Service Stop/Start. Once it cut the power steering pump while driving, and on another occasion or two the TCM forced an engine stop. This was every single day, all day. It required frequent battery resets just to get the computers to cooperate for one trip at a time, most days.

Axle was replaced, rear regeared to match the new front. But the computer problems persisted. The shop kept telling me it was my batteries, especially with the finnicky aux setup on these things. But I had seen the battery gremlins before, and while this was vaguely similar, I knew it wasn't that. Nearly all the trouble codes had to do with wheel and brake sensors, for one thing. I thought it might be a bad sensor -- except that, given the array of codes, it would have to have been several, not just one, which seemed unlikely. And for another, this crap directly coincided with my collision, and it went on for far longer than any dying battery should've lasted before showing further symptoms or giving out entirely.

So one afternoon I had a few beers at home and got pissed about a still-undrivable vehicle with a brand new axle. I went out in the driveway and started pushing fuses, tugging on and moving wiring that looked a little too close to hot metal inside and underneath. I also pulled out the glove box and pushed on the CAN bus connectors back there (very easy to do, no tools needed), since one of the persistent codes had been the med-speed CAN. I really did not know what I was doing, but I was determined to check and poke, gently, on everything I could get to in a hot minute. I never saw anything that looked or felt obviously screwed, just some stuff that seemed to be routed funny, and lots of fidgety little pin connectors and such that I just casually went over even though they looked okay to me.

Guess what? The CEL immediately went off, no more codes or warnings or weird mid-course shutdowns, and it has been totally fine for the last 500 miles - whereas it used to freak out about every 10-20 at a minimum. After two and half months of daily hell, it apparently boiled down to wiggling a few things around and repositioning a few easy-to-reach harnesses.

So, I have no idea which of the fifty things I pulled and pushed on was the problem, but one of them was! Only thing I can think of is that the collision must've knocked something just a little loose. A hard knockaround on the trail could do the same thing in some cases, most likely. Check your wires and plugs, I tell ya. That very well could be the issue, and even a single short or a minor loose connection is enough to make the whole vehicle go nuts, the way the computers are in these things.

Last edited:
OP
OP

CaptainHook

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

I've got a 2019 JLU 2.0T. I had a highway collision with a large runaway tractor tire -- it hit my front left tire, no body damage, but enough of an impact to irreparably damage my axle. Starting that day, the Jeep was frequently refusing to go into gear upon crank, throwing as many as 20 P- and U-codes, showing Service 4WD, Service Shifter, Service ABS, Service ETS, Service Stop/Start. Once it cut the power steering pump while driving, and on another occasion or two the TCM forced an engine stop. This was every single day, all day.

Axle was replaced, rear regeared to match the new front. But the computer problems persisted. The shop kept telling me it was my batteries, especially with the finnicky aux setup on these things. But I had seen the battery gremlins before, and while this was vaguely similar, I knew it wasn't that.

So one afternoon I had a few beers at home and got pissed about a still-undrivable vehicle with a brand new axle. I went out in the driveway and started pushing fuses, tugging on and moving wiring that looked a little too close to hot metal inside and underneath. I also pulled out the glove box and pushed on the CAN bus connectors back there (very easy to do, no tools needed), since one of the persistent codes had been the med-speed CAN. I really did not know what I was doing, but I was determined to check and poke, gently, on everything I could get to in a hot minute.

Guess what? After two and a half months of constant hell, the CEL immediately went off, and it has been totally fine for the last 500 miles - whereas it used to freak out about every 10-20 at a minimum.

So, I have no idea which of the fifty things I pulled and pushed on was the problem, but one of them was! Only thing I can think of is that the collision must've knocked something just a little loose. Check your wires and plugs, I tell ya. That very well could be the issue, and even a minor loose connection is enough to make the whole vehicle go nuts.
Hey man, I’ve been going on a couple years of it acting up still, I’ve done an aux delete, replaced the CAN behind the dash, I’ve pulled and pulled and pushed on wires and connections to no success but I just remember from when I bought it that mine had a front left collision as well before my purchase so it may be related? I have not found a fix but since the weather has changed again recently and has been more cool out it hasn’t had that issue again but in the summer heat it was every day and lost power steering as well a couple times and with 35’s it makes it more difficult to drive the Jeep safety wise. I haven’t checked everything yet to see what it was that had semi fixed but if I find anything I shall post it
Sponsored