Sponsored

Out-of-state purchasing. Making sure I don’t get screwed on taxes.

Come2elmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chev 2500 HD, 16 Chevy Burb
Thank you for that link from the DMV. That feels much better seeing that officially.

The dealer called me Monday and said they had my 392 and if could fly out the next day. I said hell yeah I can be there. I said you got MY 392 in early? The sales rep was like no we got a stingray one but you can have it. I’m like well it’s not my 392 so no thank you. It’s shit like that which creates distrust.
Wow. Just Wow.

Excuse me waiter...I ordered the ham and cheese and you brought me a warm tuna fish on rye. Yes sir. Is there a problem? It isn't what I ordered. Well we found it behind the paper towels in the back room and thought you would like it better.
Sponsored

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
I am picking up my 392 a week from Friday. I live in California and I will be buying the car in Scottsdale Arizona.

I’ve heard of people getting screwed on the taxes, whether the dealer intentionally pulled one over or they messed up accidentally, I just want to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong.

This is the information I received from the sales manager. Can someone clarify what she means?

454FBA7C-26FF-4422-B07B-46B396705718.jpeg
Don't know how it works out west, but I live in Arkansas and have bought many vehicles in a different state. I have bought multiple vehicles in Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas. Each time they told me the same thing: I was a resident of Arkansas and registering in Arkansas, so sales tax was between me and the state of Arkansas. None of the dealers collected any taxes, title, or fees (other than doc. fee under $100) from me and I paid all this when I registered at my local Dept. of Revenue and Administration (what most would call the DMV).

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Wow. Just Wow.

Excuse me waiter...I ordered the ham and cheese and you brought me a warm tuna fish on rye. Yes sir. Is there a problem? It isn't what I ordered. Well we found it behind the paper towels in the back room and thought you would like it better.
Yeah really don’t like dealers. It’s a hit or miss especially with the people who work there.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Don't know how it works out west, but I live in Arkansas and have bought many vehicles in a different state. I have bought multiple vehicles in Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas. Each time they told me the same thing: I was a resident of Arkansas and registering in Arkansas, so sales tax was between me and the state of Arkansas. None of the dealers collected any taxes, title, or fees (other than doc. fee under $100) from me and I paid all this when I registered at my local Dept. of Revenue and Administration (what most would call the DMV).
This is the general consensus that I’ve heard from many forum members as well. But it does sound like there are some differences if you’re buying between California, Nevada and Arizona. I am going to call both DMV‘s today.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Essentially same thing in GA. One thing I definitely learned in law school is that the laws of California, especially relating to tax, income, etc, are radically different than the rest of the country. And not in a good way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Essentially same thing in GA. One thing I definitely learned in law school is that the laws of California, especially relating to tax, income, etc, are radically different than the rest of the country. And not in a good way.
Trust me brother most of my family has already moved to Texas and I looked at Franklin Tennessee but my business is here and that’s what I’m growing right now. Maybe when I sell it in 10 years.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks brother I’m really stoked. Still have not seen a single 392 anywhere in Southern California. Maybe that’s because the ADM here is absurd. Seeing lots of 4Xe’s locally though.
I’ve seen a few 4xE’s drive around and two 392’s on a dealer lot and that’s it. Not one 392 on the road which is good, the rarer the better.

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
Bought a jeep out of South Dakota a couple weeks ago, AAA said they could handle the California Registration. We didn't pay any taxes in SD.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I hate buying here in AZ, thats why I ordered from CO. dealers here are known to add in charges.

on a side note, if you want to hit a fun close trail to test out the Jeep let me know. Its a quick one that can be done under an hour but will really let you test everything.

feel free to message me on here and ill give you my cell number.
Agreed! I’ve never bought a Wrangler in AZ for just the reason you mentioned. I bought all of my Wranglers (6) in the Denver metro area with the exception of the new 4xe. I bought that in ID because they offered a smoking deal.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Agreed! I’ve never bought a Wrangler in AZ for just the reason you mentioned. I bought all of my Wranglers (6) in the Denver metro area with the exception of the new 4xe. I bought that in ID because they offered a smoking deal.
There are no added charges. It is a fully loaded (except for the half doors) 392 Rubicon in Hydroblue. I snagged the order from my friend since he had placed it in November and I did think it was going to be here sooner, thus I jumped on it.

Trust me the dealers here in Southern California are even worse. Yeah I lose a little bit of money on the local taxes, but I’m getting the jeep at MSRP exactly the way I want it and it’s already at the dealer. Who knows where I would be at if I would have ordered in the middle of June.

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Wow, I'm shocked at that simply because many Denver dealers seem to take the attitude of "This is Colorado, we don't deal on Jeeps."

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Wow, I'm shocked at that simply because many Denver dealers seem to take the attitude of "This is Colorado, we don't deal on Jeeps."
I’ve done really well in Denver with the purchase of new Jeeps, that is until I decided I wanted a 4xe. They were just as bad as the AZ dealerships so I went through Peterson in Nampa, ID on the newest addition ended up getting 9.57% below MSRP.

Last edited:

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
This is completely anecdotal so take it for what it's worth. I bought my car (not the Jeep) from a dealer in Massachusetts and shipped it down to Texas. The dealer was part of a larger national dealership group (Sonic) so the dealership in MA worked with a sister dealer here in TX to handle the TT&L portion of it. All I had to do when it arrived was pay for the TX inspection and the TX taxes were covered as part of the down payment I paid to the MA dealer. The sister dealer in TX took care of the registration and tax here and I didn't have to lift a finger.

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
Thank you for that link from the DMV. That feels much better seeing that officially.

The dealer called me Monday and said they had my 392 and if could fly out the next day. I said hell yeah I can be there. I said you got MY 392 in early? The sales rep was like no we got a stingray one but you can have it. I’m like well it’s not my 392 so no thank you. It’s shit like that which creates distrust.
Hold on, yours didn’t show up. I thought they had pictures?
Sponsored