Sponsored

Tazer JL Mini - Dead Battery

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I own a Tazer JL mini. I have always unmarried when taking to the dealer but yesterday my Jeep was completely dead and even after several failed jumps I was able to get it started and drove directly to the Jeep dealer but was unable to unmarry the unit since turning off the Jeep would result in me being stranded. I did unplug the unit. Today I got my Jeep back and noticed the LED settings had defaulted back along with tire size. I know they had to test the battery and may have removed it and they did advise it was depleted when they got the Jeep.

My question is today I hooked the Tazer jl mini unit back up and changed back my tire size and LED to yes. Do you see me having any issues when I go to unmarry the unit for whenever I go for service again? I wasnā€™t sure if I should have unmarried once I got the unit back or if it matters?
Sponsored

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Dos and dont of marrying would be nice... watching thread

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is if you had the Tazer married to the Jeep and left it that way before service it will still work fine but hereā€™s the rub, if the Dealer wrote new software to your system like say applied TSBā€™s and such and then you unmarry it the original system software that is stored on the Tazer will overwrite the newer software the Dealer applied so your going backwards and will have to go back to the Dealer to have it redone.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
I own a Tazer JL mini. I have always unmarried when taking to the dealer but yesterday my Jeep was completely dead and even after several failed jumps I was able to get it started and drove directly to the Jeep dealer but was unable to unmarry the unit since turning off the Jeep would result in me being stranded. I did unplug the unit. Today I got my Jeep back and noticed the LED settings had defaulted back along with tire size. I know they had to test the battery and may have removed it and they did advise it was depleted when they got the Jeep.

My question is today I hooked the Tazer jl mini unit back up and changed back my tire size and LED to yes. Do you see me having any issues when I go to unmarry the unit for whenever I go for service again? I wasnā€™t sure if I should have unmarried once I got the unit back or if it matters?
I only just installed my Tazer a couple days ago and am in the learning curve, but I read in the instructions that whenever you make a change to the settings youā€™ll need to do a ā€œfull rebootā€ or the battery will drain. Not sure if this is the problem you are experiencing or not? Or if itā€™s totally unrelated?

OP
OP
Scarr2k

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
The problem is if you had the Tazer married to the Jeep and left it that way before service it will still work fine but hereā€™s the rub, if the Dealer wrote new software to your system like say applied TSBā€™s and such and then you unmarry it the original system software that is stored on the Tazer will overwrite the newer software the Dealer applied so your going backwards and will have to go back to the Dealer to have it redone.
Yes, that was a concern I had but I donā€™t believe anything was applied this visit (At least I hope not).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Scarr2k

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I only just installed my Tazer a couple days ago and am in the learning curve, but I read in the instructions that whenever you make a change to the settings youā€™ll need to do a ā€œfull rebootā€ or the battery will drain. Not sure if this is the problem you are experiencing or not? Or if itā€™s totally unrelated?
I always do a full reboot but had not read the battery thing. The funny thing was I had just had my jeep in to the dealer two days prior to have a TSB update applied to fix a flickering issue in CarPlay mode and had remove and unmarried the tazer for that visit. So Iā€™m unsure if maybe the jeep was left on in ACC mode or not.after I put the Tazer back in and adjusted my tire/led settings.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that was a concern I had but I donā€™t believe anything was applied this visit (At least I hope not).
You can look at the service ticket to see if any software updates were applied and if no then you will be fine but if yes itā€™s still not the end of the world, with all the positive the Tazer has to offer this one small thing is a pain, there are other programmers like JSCAN that are not affected by this but not a smooth as the Tazer. I have used both and both have pluses and minuses.

OP
OP
Scarr2k

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
You can look at the service ticket to see if any software updates were applied and if no then you will be fine but if yes itā€™s still not the end of the world, with all the positive the Tazer has to offer this one small thing is a pain, there are other programmers like JSCAN that are not affected by this but not a smooth as the Tazer. I have used both and both have pluses and minuses.
Agreed the Tazer is the best IMO by far. Appreciate the responses I think all should be good since Iā€™m not sure they did anything other than test the battery. My only concern was that the settings had defaulted back but thats probably due to the battery being unhooked, etc.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well if your tire size along with a few other settings reverted back to stock then they likely flashed the ECU, it literally only takes them less than an hour to do it and like I said if during that reflash they applied a patch or two itā€™s all built in so they just plug in and give you the latest based on your build VIN and any TSBā€˜s and when you unmarry your Tazer next the updates will go with it because that system info is not stored on the Tazer as your original configuration file is and thatā€™s the one that will be written back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Scarr2k

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Well if your tire size along with a few other settings reverted back to stock then they likely flashed the ECU, it literally only takes them less than an hour to do it and like I said if during that reflash they applied a patch or two itā€™s all built in so they just plug in and give you the latest based on your build VIN and any TSBā€˜s and when you unmarry your Tazer next the updates will go with it because that system info is not stored on the Tazer as your original configuration file is and thatā€™s the one that will be written back.
Well nothing was noted on the service invoice and I chalked it up to the battery probably being unhooked for testing. One thing noted on the invoice was the jeep was showing in ā€ship modeā€ as if it had just come from the factory I guess?? They noted it could have been from the dead battery.

I had just had the jeep in the dealer two days prior for a TSB update for the radio. At this point thereā€™s nothing I can do since I was unable to unmarry it seeing the battery was dead, so Iā€™ll have to roll the dice.

Thanks for your help @WranglerMan !

Last edited:

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
This might be a stupid question, but I'm sure I am not the only one who has wondered.
Do I need to remove (Physically) the connectors from my tazer and connect them as stock, or can I just unmarry the tazer? I dont want them finding the Tazer and screaming warranty void.

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willyā€™s jl
No dealer tech is looking for a tazer. They pay us 2 tenths of an hour (12 minutes) for most software flashes. For me ( $5.60 before taxes)

barely enough time to go get the car, do the flash, complete multi point inspection, fill out work order and return vehicle to the lot

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Dos and dont of marrying would be nice... watching thread
If it is the same Tazer then it shouldn't be an issue. They wouldn't flash the OBD for a Dead battery. I think you are fine. Un marry it and try some options, then marry it and I'll bet its fine.
Sponsored