The clutch gang!

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For me, an automatic in a Jeep was never a consideration. Drove manuals most of my life and I love the driving experience a manual brings to open air driving. Top down and 6 on the floor is the only way to drive.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
For me, an automatic in a Jeep was never a consideration. Drove manuals most of my life and I love the driving experience a manual brings to open air driving. Top down and 6 on the floor is the only way to drive.
You must be young! I had to make it with the top down and 3 on the floor for many years. Believe me, it is doable. Lol

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
My wife @TankGirl and I both have manual JL's. It's just so much more fun to drive on a daily basis... I'm not looking forward to the first time we go Rock Crawling with them, but we've been driving manuals most of our lives so I don't see it being a huge learning curve.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Got the first one ('08) cuz the mileage was so much better and because I got the control of choosing when to shift. Now the auto has mileage that is at least competitive with the manual, but it costs $2200 more and the manual still gives me control.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My wife @TankGirl and I both have manual JL's. It's just so much more fun to drive on a daily basis... I'm not looking forward to the first time we go Rock Crawling with them, but we've been driving manuals most of our lives so I don't see it being a huge learning curve.
You'll have no trouble, especially with the low gearing of that Rubicon in low range. I did Moab in 2014 with my JKUR and the manual wasn't an issue, at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey DanW. I see you are in Davenville, IN. I am in Peoria, IL. Hope we meet sometime to share stories.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey DanW. I see you are in Davenville, IN. I am in Peoria, IL. Hope we meet sometime to share stories.
Sounds great!

SUP N

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Agreed, manual was the only way I'd purchase the Rubicon. Had to order it because dealer didn't (and still doesn't!? have any. Much more interactive and requires you to actually "drive" and become more in touch with your vehicle. IMO that's very important (and fun!) when off road.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
I have triplets that just got their licenses and I didn't want them to drive my Jeep. Haha. True sort of - my wife and I both love manuals. This is my third manual. We had a manual 2000 Jeep Cherokee and loved it. One of my kids totaled my CX-9 within a month of me getting the Jeep so manual was the right choice.

I only got to test drive an auto, but based on the reviews (thanks @DanW ) I purchased it out of state without driving it. No regrets. I like the reverse position.

Jaysjeepycreepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
My JLU Sahara is my first Jeep, I would not buy a car unless it was manual. It was hard to find, but I found mine on a dealer lot just had to drive a couple hundred miles to get it. My local dealer did not have a single JL in manual for me to even test drive. Once you get a manual, it’s the only way to drive. Auto’s are too boring. My previous car was an audi, so I was very impressed on how smooth the JL is too shift.

Sponsored

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
I love the new Aisin transmission! It’s so much smoother than my ‘07 JKU. I must confess that I test drive an auto too but just couldn’t justify the two grand. I can do a lot of shifting for two grand!
There were only two manual JLU Sport S’s in town when I purchased mine. Stangely, there were probably 4 or 5 Sahara’s with manuals but I didn’t want a Sahara. My original plan was to order a Sport S with the dual top group with a manual but then I heard about dual top delays and honestly I didn’t know how much longer my 3.8 JKU was going to make it without major repairs. It was using a quart every 1000 miles. I decided to buy off the lot instead of wait and take a chance. I didn’t get the soft top that I wanted. They’re even more rare than the manuals around here.
I’ve only had owned two automatic cars in 30 years of driving. My first car was a ‘58 Chevy Delray with a three on the tree. My first jeep was a ‘53 Willy’s M38a1 that I drove all the way through college at 45mph with no heater and manual windshield wipers!

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:movember:So there are about 15 of us with MT ( that responded) and it seems only Dirt 32 from the East Coast.

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
When I did a search on Jeep.com there are only roughly 10% of all jeeps in 150 mile radius with Manual transmissions

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
East coast, manual. Love it. BUT how in the hell do you drive a manual without a clutch? I've been driving a stick for a longgggg time. I have no clue what everyone is talking about.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a purist.
I want my kids now 15 and 17 years old to learn a manual.

I kind of wish I had an old carbureted vehicle that doesn't idle with a manual so my kids could learn that fancy heel toe foot work.
Boyo you are in luck checkout my Craigslist add lake texoma jeep w/toys 1979 cj5 304 v8 w/4 spd
Sponsored