Sponsored

Useful beginners' tools for the new jeep.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I've learned a lot from this forum, and highly respect the mechanical/electrical/software-ical acumen of its members. Thank you all. (Well, the helpful ones at least)

I've enjoyed being able to tinker with an automobile again, and throughly enjoy the "What have you done to your jeep today?" thread, even if many of those modifications are beyond my means, or scope of usefulness even.

Many modifications you can perform/adjust/add/remove with just a basic wrench, driver, clamp, and/or hammer, combined with extreme determination and minor bloodshed. But sometimes, (more and more) it seems you'd be better off with a specific tool that many people might not have heard of. (A large, torque-wrenched crow's foot is one that was recently needed. Not uncommon, but not very common either. Used an adjustable wrench and adapter instead.)

This post is for tools that have made things easier/more fun for modding jeeps.

Now personally, I've tons of tools already. Too many even. That, or just enough tools to let me realise that I don't have enough tools.

But many people here are just starting out, and may not even yet know the difference between Phillips 1 , P2, or "please, please, please, use the correct driver for this, or it will be stripped forever P3". So let's recommend some slightly uncommon tools, new or old, that have been especially useful in the jeep.

My personal recommendation, even though everything in the jeep is supposedly metric now, is to still get an SAE socket set. Tooling tolerances in both the jeep fasteners and your tools are all probably a bit off, so always see what fits best. E.g. the oil plug. And maybe get a few extra 10mm sockets.

Also, a thing that has brought me a surprising amount of happiness is this cheap interior panel kit:
Jeep Wrangler JL Useful beginners' tools for the new jeep. 20210902_231016

When running wires everywhere, this is great for prying panels off willy-nilly, stuffing wires, and popping clips, without undo damage.

What other common or uncommon tools have you all found useful? My wallet can be angry at you later.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
6 point socket sets are a must have. 12 point sockets will get you into trouble on things like oil drain plugs or body to frame bolts or anywhere locktite has been used.

Cotter pin puller for cotter pins and sometimes other things you need a hook like tool for.

Magnets used to hold a tool I'm using close by so it doesn't fall if I bump it. I attach a magnet near where I'm working in an awkward spot and stick my tools to it so they stay handy. Just remember to remove it when done lol. I know they have those magnetic trays but they are not always the best choice. May not be as easy to use magnets on our aluminum jeep parts these days lol.

Extendable swivel mounted small mirror for getting a view of a tight area not visible otherwise.

Magnet mounted on an extension for retrieving bolts, sockets, screws or etc... that's fallen into an area your hand won't fit.

I don't currently have one but I've used those steps that hang on a tire to give you better under hood access or even at the rear tire to reach things in a rack. Especially a good idea for those that have lifted their Jeeps.

Last edited:

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
A good set of wobble extensions. Before I owned a jeep I never knew how useful they could be. Definitely a must have.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the 3.6L V6 without e-Torque and need to remove the serpentine belt, you’ll want a 1/2” breaker bar. Problem with that is there’s something in the way that prevents you from using that breaker bar. I used 550 cord to hold up whatever that thing was that was in my way so I didn’t have to completely remove it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Useful beginners' tools for the new jeep. 9E9D71F6-4604-45A4-8D4D-426E08CF3672

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
does ratchet strap counts? I used it to quickly align control arms after unbolting them to install control arm skids. Also a small prybar + scissor jack, used the scissor jack to compress shocks and prybar to align with bolt hole (was too lazy to get the jack and stands and taking the wheel off, drooping axle etc...)

The best tool. Not uncommon but finally bought an electric wrench at harbor freight. It saves hours. hours of my life, that thing is amazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
If you have the 3.6L V6 without e-Torque and need to remove the serpentine belt, you’ll want a 1/2” breaker bar. Problem with that is there’s something in the way that prevents you from using that breaker bar. I used 550 cord to hold up whatever that thing was that was in my way so I didn’t have to completely remove it.

9E9D71F6-4604-45A4-8D4D-426E08CF3672.jpeg
Wait, isn't that the 3.6 oil filter?

How many miles on your jeep that you're changing the serpentine already?

Last edited:
OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Magnets used to hold a tool I'm using close by so it doesn't fall if I bump it. I attach a magnet near where I'm working in an awkward spot and stick my tools to it so they stay handy. Just remember to remove it when done lol.
Random magnets are a great tool.

I use a 55lb magnet on the oilpan to capture metal shavings. I should probably stick some to the pumpkins as well.

(Magnets help to retain loose metal shavings, that would otherwise degrade your mechanical bits by swinming about and wearing things down.

I've no photo here, but for giant trawling magnets, you probably want a big cheater bar of some sort.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not new and not a secret, but my Mac daddy impact would be hard to live without. When my old impact crapped out, I decided to give this one a try. Game changer!

I use it on my scissor jack to lift the Jeep to change a tire. I used it on the pitman nut when I did the sector shaft brace, spun that nut off in about 5 seconds. I use it as much as possible. I’ve got to where I can torque lcas to with it to within an eighth of a turn with torque wrench to finish them off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Useful beginners' tools for the new jeep. D44DCC73-FC18-4DAF-A54E-048D6151B86C
Jeep Wrangler JL Useful beginners' tools for the new jeep. 36F1CA71-D01F-4FAA-B0E1-BB9FC3504136

When I’m installing lifts, I think this has cut my installation time in half, which is significant because I’m borderline psychotic ocd when it comes to dialing in a suspension....:facepalm:

I also have the m12 3/8 ratchet and 3/8 stubby impact. Love these tools.......:)

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It’s not new and not a secret, but my Mac daddy impact would be hard to live without. When my old impact crapped out, I decided to give this one a try. Game changer!

I use it on my scissor jack to lift the Jeep to change a tire. I used it on the pitman nut when I did the sector shaft brace, spun that nut off in about 5 seconds. I use it as much as possible. I’ve got to where I can torque lcas to with it to within an eighth of a turn with torque wrench to finish them off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Useful beginners' tools for the new jeep. 36F1CA71-D01F-4FAA-B0E1-BB9FC3504136

When I’m installing lifts, I think this has cut my installation time in half, which is significant because I’m borderline psychotic ocd when it comes to dialing in a suspension....:facepalm:

I also have the m12 3/8 ratchet and 3/8 stubby impact. Love these tools.......:)
🤣I almost included my “big boy” 1,000lb/ft 20v dewalt in my post. Definitely a game changer.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
My credit card.
Sponsored