Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My question of the PCR disconnection from N3 and removal of the PCR from my vehicle was more or less answered by you with your statement; as long as N1 is powered it will crank and not think the ESS battery is dead.

What I meant by "lockdown" is the inability of the vehicle to crank or start because it sees no power at N1. This would force me to have my vehicle towed to a dealer where they would have to do a reflash.

My reasoning of not wanting to jump N1 to N2 has nothing to do with the 40 amp fuse not being sufficient to handle the current load; there is nothing wrong with going this route. I like to keep things as simple and tidy as possible with the removal of unused components, ESS aux battery, PCR, when mods are accomplished. I just believe the most direct approach with the least amount of complication, is connecting the main battery to N1 & N2 as long as there are no cranking problems and dashboard code errors appearing from using this method.

Another step in this procedure we haven't talked about, I assume, the IBS would have to be unplugged as well? Thanks again for all your help and knowledge.
Ultimately you own any changes you make to your vehicle and you don't seem very sure of what to do. Some of what gets posted here confuses me. For now I would recommend this thread as I think it will help you accomplish what you want with the least amount of changes or risk. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-management.60034/
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Added this update to post #1. I was concerned that people would only read the first post only and not be aware of this updated information.

6/26/2021 Update - Many have reported that the 30A fused jumper shown in this picture has not been adequate for their JL. Use the highest capacity fused jumper you can find and make sure the fuse is not rated too high for the wire, otherwise the wire will melt before the fuse blows.

Als@Ohio

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97, 15, 18 Wranglers
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L ESS Aux Battery Bypass PXL_20210708_125334738

Instead of the fused jumper could a circuit breaker like this be used? It's a 50amp ,12-48 VDC breaker, I use them at work for wiring in hoists to our work trucks. You then can use a heavy gauge wire and lugs.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L ESS Aux Battery Bypass PXL_20210708_125334738

Instead of the fused jumper could a circuit breaker like this be used? It's a 50amp ,12-48 VDC breaker, I use them at work for wiring in hoists to our work trucks. You then can use a heavy gauge wire and lugs.
I used something very similar. No issues

correfe

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL SAHARA UNLIMITED
Added this update to post #1. I was concerned that people would only read the first post only and not be aware of this updated information.

6/26/2021 Update - Many have reported that the 30A fused jumper shown in this picture has not been adequate for their JL. Use the highest capacity fused jumper you can find and make sure the fuse is not rated too high for the wire, otherwise the wire will melt before the fuse blows.

Would this 100 AMP fuse be overkill to use as a bypass. ?

https://www.amazon.ca/Inline-100amp...45191&pd_rd_wg=rZAmF&pd_rd_i=B08227DGCN&psc=1

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 10.07.40 PM.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure those lugs won't fit on the N terminals. Post #488 is a better idea. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/post-1499871
Another benefit of this solution is that if the N3 fuse gets blown (which is not uncommon). you can move the jumper from N3 to N4 (as long as nothing is attached to N4) until the fuse array gets replaced.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Well, like clockwork my 7/18 build JLR has been getting the ol "Aux switches unavailable battery charging” message so, got the handy jumper out & taped off the lil battery connector
Jeep starts up, still has the message. :(
Will test the Main & see how much time she has left :crying:

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L ESS Aux Battery Bypass 0B4BDF2E-DB6B-40E2-80FA-FDD7625873AA

Last edited:

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well, like clockwork my 7/18 build JLR has been getting the ol "Aux switches unavailable battery charging” message so, got the handy jumper out & taped off the lil battery connector
Jeep starts up, still has the message. :(
Will test the Main & see how much time she has left :crying:

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L ESS Aux Battery Bypass 0B4BDF2E-DB6B-40E2-80FA-FDD7625873AA
Mine threw same message when I disconnected the Aux to test out the ability to start with Main only (TSB/software update). I had to disconnect both batteries for 10-15 minutes, reconnected and code was gone.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Mine threw same message when I disconnected the Aux to test out the ability to start with Main only (TSB/software update). I had to disconnect both batteries for 10-15 minutes, reconnected and code was gone.
Alright. Well, after disconnecting the Main & waiting a while, I go to reconnect Positive then Negative, and sparks are popping on negative touching. Ever get that? Not sure what to do here. Disconnected Positive again, and letting it sit for now.
The aux jumper is still on, and its negative is still isolated & taped off
@Rhinebeck01

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright. Well, after disconnecting the Main & waiting a while, I go to reconnect Positive then Negative, and sparks are popping on negative touching. Ever get that? Not sure what to do here. Disconnected Positive again, and letting it sit for now.
The aux jumper is still on, and its negative is still isolated & taped off
@Rhinebeck01
I get it every time. Very disconcerting, but normal.

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

I get it every time. Very disconcerting, but normal.
Okay, I suppressed the caveman SPOOKY SPARK BAD feeling and went ahead and tightened it up anyway. Jeep started with maybe the slightest lag. The Aux switches/charging message is gone. UConnect is all screwy, no backup camera etc. Assume it will right itself over time.
Battery voltage when driving is 14.2
Think we are good. Tyvm for the help! :fist bump:

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
If battery voltage is 14 or higher while driving longer than 30 min, then your battery is low or dying. a good battery should start at 14, drop to mid 13's, then even to low 13's. This is the adaptive charging system. the higher the voltage, the more it's trying to charge your battery. The longer that the voltage stays high, the worse off your battery is.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If battery voltage is 14 or higher while driving longer than 30 min, then your battery is low or dying. a good battery should start at 14, drop to mid 13's, then even to low 13's. This is the adaptive charging system. the higher the voltage, the more it's trying to charge your battery. The longer that the voltage stays high, the worse off your battery is.
This is generally true, but it's not necessarily a problem. It can be due to your driving habits. I ran 14+ volts for three years before my main battery needed replaced.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Hey uh, while Aux battery is bypassed like this, battery tender still clamps onto Main battery positive & negative, yeah? Same with battery pack jump-starter I assume
Sponsored