First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
Only had the hazard-lights-turn-on issue twice. I just repositioned the way I gripped the shifter. Never had an issue with the window switches. I either drive with the AC on all the time, the top off and windows down or the doors off. If I have to roll down my windows while driving, it's either at the drive thru or a toll booth. The cup holder placement sucks with the manual. Anything bigger than a medium drink and you're either hitting the straw or the lid, so I put the drink in the rear most holder. I, for one, like the ring/lock out for reverse. First is ridiculously short and when cold, it bucks but if you upshift to stop the bucking, the engine pings (though putting in 89 or higher octane seems to have cured this) so you deal with the bucking or the pinging until it's warm. I haven't re-geared and I'm running 35's with a 3.5" lift. I have to rev it in each gear to get any type of performance and like others, 6th is all but useless unless I'm running on flat roads or at 65mph +
Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
it basically had to do with incremental cost of having to substitute 4.10s into manual vehicles on assembly line when when automatics are getting 3.45s (or whatever).
I hadn't thought about it that way, and that probably does explain why they just slap 3.45s into everything. Less inventory to manage, more streamlined build process.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Love my MT whips.... that hazzard button gets hit about once a month.

More recently I did a WOT test in 4th. I noticed that even though I was on a flat stretch of road going about 50MPH i did not feel any umph from the electronic throttle that really push me to 60 fast enough. hmmmm.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
For reference, here's a gear/tire chart.

gear chart M.jpg

Would love to see a JLR on 44's
Not sure I would want to drive a JLR on 44's at 70 MPH though.
Take careful note of that 'rock crawling and higher elevations' note in blue and the recommendations. I installed 37'' tires and immediately went on a trip up at 10k-13k elevation. It was so bad I had to use 4lo to reverse at ANY angle and anything forward more than 15 degrees.

5.13's solved that.

Sponsored

jcr97703

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR ( ordered 9/24/19), 2016 Porsche Cayenne, 2017 Audi e-tron
Like most of you, I feel gear ratios are too tall 3rd-6th gears and reverse. Also I get a engine stumble occasionally at 2800 rpm in 3rd gear. Iā€™ve heard others with manuals have experienced the stumble too. I donā€˜t hit the flashers accidentally ever (12k miles)but agree the windows are hard to use (especially up). Overall love the manual most of the time!

Malachi

First Name
Malachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Harley FXDB, 2021 JL Willys Manual
Hit the hazards just once by accident

Window controls are downright bizarre, yet logical given the removable doors

What gets me in the craw is 1st and reverse, mainly the clutch bite position and "width". I swear someone needs to get me a helmet and call me Matt Damon because I feel like a god damn martian floating in space trying to find that engagement point.

I hope fiddling with that clutch cylinder pushrod doesn't void the warranty...

Still, 3 pedals is just too awesome. Would do it again.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JLUS, 2008 JLUX, 2018 JLUR
Like most of you, I feel gear ratios are too tall 3rd-6th gears and reverse. Also I get a engine stumble occasionally at 2800 rpm in 3rd gear. Iā€™ve heard others with manuals have experienced the stumble too. I donā€˜t hit the flashers accidentally ever (12k miles)but agree the windows are hard to use (especially up). Overall love the manual most of the time!
You're the first person I've heard mention the stumble in 3rd (not that I've been looking hard). I thought I was the only one. I assumed mine was something related to burning the clutch when towing someone out of a ditch long ago... the smell lasted for DAYS. So, the stumble is not unique to my JL... hmmm.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
You're the first person I've heard mention the stumble in 3rd (not that I've been looking hard). I thought I was the only one. I assumed mine was something related to burning the clutch when towing someone out of a ditch long ago... the smell lasted for DAYS. So, the stumble is not unique to my JL... hmmm.
I feel it too, both when I had my 2018 JL and now with my 2021, mainly when climbing a long hill in 3rd you can feel a stutter around 2800 rpm...

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I generally like the manual, but
  • The flip up cover of the USB when in up position hits my had or close to it when shifting into 5th
  • The ring pull up to get into reverse is nice but I worry often I will subconsciously move in the wrong direction as I like pulling it up or naturally pull it up when not required
I never hit the emergency lights. I wonder if the Jeep performance will be acceptable once I put on the 37ā€ tires. It was fine on my manual JK Rubicon on road and off road.
Sponsored