First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
To the OP I say that I understand where you are coming from. But as a technician at a Cat dealership, the crap that Stellantis techs get away with is absolutely ridiculous. I have had so many issues with getting a dealership to cover things on a completely stock Jeep, that I just quit trying. Known issues like the steering box, and the axle lockers, defrost wires, radio, paint, etc. The only thing that I'm still pursuing is the paint, because I can't do that myself very well. And the last dealer that was supposed to fix the paint made it worse. 2 different colors and the corrosion was painted over...
Sponsored

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
To the OP I say that I understand where you are coming from. But as a technician at a Cat dealership, the crap that Stellantis techs get away with is absolutely ridiculous. I have had so many issues with getting a dealership to cover things on a completely stock Jeep, that I just quit trying. Known issues like the steering box, and the axle lockers, defrost wires, radio, paint, etc. The only thing that I'm still pursuing is the paint, because I can't do that myself very well. And the last dealer that was supposed to fix the paint made it worse. 2 different colors and the corrosion was painted over...

I have the corrosion issue on one of my hinges and I'm afraid to have it fixed. My dealership doesn't have a body shop, and Sting gray is a very hard color to match.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
As someone who has had issues getting warranty work done on a bone stock, low miles Wrangler, I’m going to bite my tongue.

I do appreciate the honestly and perspective. Many buyers would probably benefit from a one page TLDR checklist of common mods and situations that could negate the warranty. Something laminated, and small enough to be kept in the glovebox for easy review.

BTW, absolutely agree with photograph tip. Photos and videos go a long way in getting problems diagnosed and resolved.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Possibly, this issue is linked to a corporate brand's philosophy on the matter of managing warranty claims?

I say this because our Honda dealer has volunteered to warranty a few odds and ends through the years that we weren't aware of [as being an issue], or didn't think elevated itself to the level of a warranty claim. So, in that sense, we've had a good experience. This excludes the Takata airbag fiasco, which of course we did want remedied in a prompt manner (the backorder wait time was beyond the dealer's control, which we understood.)

I'll be content to stay on the outside, looking in at threads like this one, for as long as possible. :) As my 2021 JLU 2.0T dates from Sept/Oct 2020, it seems like I just dodged a warranty bullet, too.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I have the corrosion issue on one of my hinges and I'm afraid to have it fixed. My dealership doesn't have a body shop, and Sting gray is a very hard color to match.
All it takes is a spray out. Compare those to the paint and go with the one that is closest. The body shop manager at the dealership kept blaming the factory paint and saying that there was variance from top to bottom and left to right. I replied, "Well, wouldn't that be a warranty issue then?"

Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Thanks OP. I get what you are saying. I have no reason to bash my dealer servicing as I haven't taking it in yet. But on my previous TJ I had good service, unfortunately that dealership is over an hour away now.

Just out of curiosity, I've see some horror stories of warranty claims being dismissed because they considered the Wrangler to be taken off-road and/or abused. Without pulling out my warranty information, wouldn't it be covered, as it's trail-rated and off-roading is shown in all advertising by Jeep Wrangler HQ? I'm not talking, body damage, paint stripes and tire damage. I'm talking damage to components caused by off-roading which is what the Jeep was built and should be warranted for. Can someone chime in on this?

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The incompetence goes beyond the service department. I bought my wrangler with the hard top. A few weeks ago I picked up a used soft top from a local seller. The foam tape on one of the door surrounds was kind of worn out, so I wanted to replace it to make sure I get a good seal. There is a replacement part for it. I couldn’t find it on Amazon, and it was out of stock at quadratec. I went in to my local dealer and they wanted my vin to verify the parts. The guy at the counter told me that his computer told him that a soft top won’t fit on my Jeep. I pointed at my Jeep parked right outside the window with the soft top installed. All I got was the deer in the headlights look and a repeat of “my computer says the soft top won’t fit your Jeep.” I didn’t know how to respond to him after that.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Before I type anything I want to say that this is not for bashing dealers, MOPAR, Stellantis, Salesman, or Service Writers. If you have a problem with any of them, start your own post.

I work for a GM/CDJR store, and have for 22 years. My JLUR has a 3.5 Metalcloak lift, Fox 2.5's and 37" Beadlocks. I knew doing all this stuff would cause some warranty issues. That being said Stellantis has all the control over warranty issues, not the dealer. They are a photo company. If something is broke the dealer has to send pictures of the part, and the vehicle in then they decide if it is warranty or not. Now, that's not for every part. If I come in with a broke driveshaft they have to send pictures, and it will not be covered because of the lift height and other things. Stellantis has said they will not warranty driveline parts if a vehicle has over a 2" lift. My guess it because that's the biggest they offer. While I do agree some of the rules suck it's not our fault. Just like my Jeep. I do maintenance by the book including diff, transmission, and engine oil. Probably go a little overboard actually, but that's just how I am. It does suck that someone who did no modifications can do something stupid and get it covered under warranty, but I can't because of lift. The reason for this is I see a lot of people bashing dealers and acting like it's our fault. Believe me, most dealers want warranty repair. It's how we make money. Yes customer pay is better, but something is better than nothing. At least that's how we are here. Unfortunately If they say they won't warranty it, there is nothing we can do to change there mind. Once we send pics in, and they deny the claim we are screwed. Then it's our fault, and we don't want to work on your Jeep and so on. GM, Ford, and many other manufacturers are the exact same way. Only difference is we drive the most modified vehicle made. 98% of all Wranglers have some accessory on them. Several Billion dollar a year industry for just Jeeps. I do see both sides, we pay X dollars for something and expect it to work. Now, if something electrical goes wrong I'm covered still, but not much as far as powertrain goes. Anyway, just wanted to say that it's not always our fault. I do my best to help everyone, but I can only do what's allowed. After that it's out of my hands.
Oh give me a F#*%ing break. Take a picture. Really. This is the bullshit we are supposed to believe is reasonable. I spent less on my Porsche 911 and have Never had a problem with anything being warranted. I can go on but I’m not going to waste anymore time talking about the pathetic ways Jeep treats their customers.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Whats worse is when the dealership hires people who you think never saw a car before.

i told the guy at the desk that my mirrors lost power ever since the first time i took the doors off, and now blindspot monitoring no longer works….

he came back with the explanation that i should adjust my mirrors BEFORE I take them off the jeep, because they lose power when you unplug them….What?!?!?
Lol I went for an oil change years ago, before I knew about the 6 qts crap. And they told me it'd be 3 hrs, even though I had an appointment and online it said 15 minute job. So I asked why would it take so darn long. And the service representative told me because it is like when you go to the doctor, it takes more than 15 minutes because the doctor is a professional.

Why dont just tell me, because we have a shit ton of customers on line before you, instead of making it sound like oil change is surgery.

They suck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The incompetence goes beyond the service department. I bought my wrangler with the hard top. A few weeks ago I picked up a used soft top from a local seller. The foam tape on one of the door surrounds was kind of worn out, so I wanted to replace it to make sure I get a good seal. There is a replacement part for it. I couldn’t find it on Amazon, and it was out of stock at quadratec. I went in to my local dealer and they wanted my vin to verify the parts. The guy at the counter told me that his computer told him that a soft top won’t fit on my Jeep. I pointed at my Jeep parked right outside the window with the soft top installed. All I got was the deer in the headlights look and a repeat of “my computer says the soft top won’t fit your Jeep.” I didn’t know how to respond to him after that.
In fairness, Wrangler now boasts five different sets of fenders (Sport/Willys, Sahara, Rubicon black, Rubicon painted and High Altitude), three different sets of bumpers (Sport/Willys, Sahara/Rubicon and steel), five different types of grilles (Sport color matched, Sport satin black, Willys, Sahara/Rubicon color matched and Sahara/Rubicon satin black). There are countless interior combinations (black cloth, tan cloth, black factory leather, saddle factory leather, Mopar black leather, Mopar Saddle leather, High Altitude black quilted leather and gray quilted leather). Each cloth and leather configuration uses different combinations of dashboard covers, door panels and even rear seats. And the list goes on and on...shock absorbers, axles types, axles widths, brakes, coil springs, transfer cases, etc., etc., etc.

On top of all that, every time Jeep adds a new powertrain like Ecodiesel, 4Xe, 392, to accommodate the new motor FCA makes on-the-fly mid-year changes to things like engine mounts, fuel tanks, skid plates, etc., etc.

And this is just for Wrangler. Add to that Gladiator, Ram pickup, Grand Cherokee, Challenger and Charger, Pacifica, Cherokee, Durango, Compass, Renegade. It is a miracle dealer parts people can find any parts at all.

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I would say I think there is a problem with a Dealership when the nearest appointment you can get is 1.5 months out!!!!! That there is just ridiculous! Unacceptable........ Close the doors now because that is bad business and about to get worse!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Well, y'all better quit your collective bitching. According to the latest JD Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS), which measures quality in the first 90 days of ownership, Jeep owners fare better than most. https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

IQS is intended to measure the level of quality coming out of the assembly plants and out of the showrooms. According to the press release, phone connectivity is now the No. 1 complaint among recent buyers.
Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty Heads Up.  Not Always Dealers Fault 1630451080809

Jeep Gladiator topped Midsize Pickup, Ram topped Fullsize Pickup. Wrangler didn't win squat.
Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty Heads Up.  Not Always Dealers Fault 1630451061227

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
HOWEVER, when it comes to customer satisfaction with their dealership, Jeep and Ram do very poorly.

Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) surveys 3-year old vehicle owners to measure satisfaction with their dealership.

JD Power reports mass and luxury brands separately. These are mass brands only.
Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty Heads Up.  Not Always Dealers Fault 1630451201953

Bottom line is: JEEP DEALERS SUCK!

You can resume your bitching now.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
According to the latest JD Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS), which measures quality in the first 90 days of ownership, Jeep owners fare better than most. https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

Jeep Gladiator topped Midsize Pickup, Ram topped Fullsize Pickup.

Wrangler didn't win squat.
In your pantheon to marketing esoterica, do you have a bar graph that illustrates, by order of ranking, the marques that enjoy the best resale valuations?

Darn it, we Jeepers have to win something.

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well, y'all better quit your collective bitching. According to the latest JD Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS), which measures quality in the first 90 days of ownership, Jeep owners fare better than most. https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

IQS is intended to measure the level of quality coming out of the assembly plants and out of the showrooms. According to the press release, phone connectivity is now the No. 1 complaint among recent buyers.
1630451080809.png

Jeep Gladiator topped Midsize Pickup, Ram topped Fullsize Pickup. Wrangler didn't win squat.
1630451061227.png
But what about all the Tacoma owners that say Jeeps are junk and Toyotas are the most reliable off-road rigs you can buy? I guess this study is fake news to them?
Sponsored