Sponsored

“Service Axle Locker System” Light On

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A few days ago, I got the flashing icon in the upper left hand corner and the rear locker LED light flashing. Uconnect indicated the rear locker was locked but it drove normal so I’m assuming it was actually unlocked. Today, both stopped flashing. I never got the service locker message. Any idea? I have an appointment scheduled with the dealer, but I should probably cancel so they don’t charge a service fee. Thoughts?
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
A few days ago, I got the flashing icon in the upper left hand corner and the rear locker LED light flashing. Uconnect indicated the rear locker was locked but it drove normal so I’m assuming it was actually unlocked. Today, both stopped flashing. I never got the service locker message. Any idea? I have an appointment scheduled with the dealer, but I should probably cancel so they don’t charge a service fee. Thoughts?
What you are describing is the beginning of your sensor starting to fail and it sounds like it's the one in the rear axle. Dealer won't do squat unless the sensor is showing issues on your screen when you take it to them.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What you are describing is the beginning of your sensor starting to fail and it sounds like it's the one in the rear axle. Dealer won't do squat unless the sensor is showing issues on your screen when you take it to them.
Is it too late to remove that one, clean it out, then pot it? Maybe it can still be saved?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is it too late to remove that one, clean it out, then pot it? Maybe it can still be saved?
IMO it's a roll of the dice. Once they start to flake out it's a crap shoot if you could clean them out enough. At this point, IMO, play the dealership game where they give you a brand new axle and deal with all that BS or just buy the Z Automotive harness.
I'm in the same boat. One of mine has failed again and I'm just going to get the harness and be done with it.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
As long as you have the warranty to cover it get it done free they replace the bad axle and potentially wiring harness. Until the next time it fails as they are not fixing the inherent problem. I wanted to keep this jeep until it was the end of it’s life but I will definitely trade it before the warranty is up as there’s way too many problems with 2021s. Mine failed with out ever having used them.

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
There is no need to use them to have the problem. The oil enters the part and for that it is enough to simply drive... unbelievable that such a problem is not yet solved in 2021 on the new ones coming out of factory!
As I said before, putting the Jeep brand in the hands of FCA broke a real legend :angry:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is no need to use them to have the problem. The oil enters the part and for that it is enough to simply drive... unbelievable that such a problem is not yet solved in 2021 on the new ones coming out of factory!
As I said before, putting the Jeep brand in the hands of FCA broke a real legend :angry:
As frustrating as this can be, it isn't that bad because there are other routes to a solution. There's an easy preventative fix and a workaround for if it fails. In the annals of Jeep problems, this is pretty small. The last thing I'd do with this problem is take it to the dealer, unless I was fine with living without the Jeep for awhile waiting on an axle. Either pot them or get the ZAuto harness and don't worry about it.

In the meantime, I and another forum member are pursuing a work-around through channels in Stellantis that we hope will result in a solution. No promises or timeline, but this WILL be getting into the right hands very soon to take a look at it, if it is not there already. While that is happening, I have a ZAuto harness in my glove box, at the ready.

I did inspect the sensors on mine at 49k and there appeared to be no oil intrusion, so my guess is that most of these little boxes are holding up just fine and it should not be causing anxiety.

Having owned and driven AMC, Chrysler, and Mercedes Jeeps, FCA's iteration beat the hell out of them, hands down, in every way except affordability. But I can't blame Stellantis for profiting as much as the market will bear. That's why they are in business.

Hopefully, ultimately, this little sensor will be available in the Mopar parts catalog, or even in the aftermarket, if the business case makes dollars or sense.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
As frustrating as this can be, it isn't that bad because there are other routes to a solution. There's an easy preventative fix and a workaround for if it fails. In the annals of Jeep problems, this is pretty small. The last thing I'd do with this problem is take it to the dealer, unless I was fine with living without the Jeep for awhile waiting on an axle. Either pot them or get the ZAuto harness and don't worry about it.

In the meantime, I and another forum member are pursuing a work-around through channels in Stellantis that we hope will result in a solution. No promises or timeline, but this WILL be getting into the right hands very soon to take a look at it, if it is not there already. While that is happening, I have a ZAuto harness in my glove box, at the ready.

I did inspect the sensors on mine at 49k and there appeared to be no oil intrusion, so my guess is that most of these little boxes are holding up just fine and it should not be causing anxiety.

Having owned and driven AMC, Chrysler, and Mercedes Jeeps, FCA's iteration beat the hell out of them, hands down, in every way except affordability. But I can't blame Stellantis for profiting as much as the market will bear. That's why they are in business.

Hopefully, ultimately, this little sensor will be available in the Mopar parts catalog, or even in the aftermarket, if the business case makes dollars or sense.
While you’re at it see if you can get them to fix the 2021 steering box as well. Replaced mine once already and can tell not so great. It had according to Jeep a “bade valve” inside. Was that a bad valve or is there really something called a “bade” valve. It was at Jeep for 23 days. I practically have PTSD thinking about going In for my first oil change. My brothers was same tune. His is 2020 and got a 2021 box and it’s worse than my 2021 original one — wanders all over and pulls to the right. When will the poor quality show end? Grateful I have a big warranty. It’s 8 months old and about to take its first big trip. Any 2021 I see posting up on the steering box I share my Tech sheet as many dealers like mine said “the 2021 steering box is new design, therefore it can’t possible be bad. Really do I look like that much of a moron. Jeep called when they finally replaced my original 2021 one and said “Mam it was just like you said. The steering box was bad.” It took dropping a lemon lawsuit after 23 days to push them to finally swap it out. It’s still wandering at higher heat on the freeway, but at least it drives straight now. You would think driving straight down the freeway would be a given for a new vehicle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
While you’re at it see if you can get them to fix the 2021 steering box as well. Replaced mine once already and can tell not so great. It had according to Jeep a “bade valve” inside. Was that a bad valve or is there really something called a “bade” valve. It was at Jeep for 23 days. I practically have PTSD thinking about going In for my first oil change. My brothers was same tune. His is 2020 and got a 2021 box and it’s worse than my 2021 original one — wanders all over and pulls to the right. When will the poor quality show end? Grateful I have a big warranty. It’s 8 months old and about to take its first big trip. Any 2021 I see posting up on the steering box I share my Tech sheet as many dealers like mine said “the 2021 steering box is new design, therefore it can’t possible be bad. Really do I look like that much of a moron. Jeep called when they finally replaced my original 2021 one and said “Mam it was just like you said. The steering box was bad.” It took dropping a lemon lawsuit after 23 days to push them to finally swap it out. It’s still wandering at higher heat on the freeway, but at least it drives straight now. You would think driving straight down the freeway would be a given for a new vehicle.
Sorry you are having trouble with that. Sounds like you need a new dealership. First think I'd do is take a close look at the installation and check the torque on the mounting bolts. My dealership did the swap with no fuss and I wasn't even having problems yet with the original aluminum box.

The friend I have is in power train and not involved with steering or suspension, unfortunately. Besides that, it isn't a design issue, so he wouldn't be much help if he was. It's intirely possible the replacement box was bad or adjusted out of spec. But that kind of issue could also be something else in the chain.

Hope you are able to get that dealership interested in solving the problem for you.

Last edited:

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Sorry you are having trouble with that. Sounds like you need a new dealership. First think I'd do is take a close look at the installation and check the torque on the mounting bolts. My dealership did the swap with no fuss and I wasn't even having problems yet with the original aluminum box.

The friend I have is in power train and not involved with steering or suspension, unfortunately. Besides that, it isn't a design issue, so he wouldn't be much help if he was. It's intirely possible the replacement box was bad or adjusted out of spec. But that kind of issue could also be something else in the chain.

Hope you are able to get that dealership interested in solving the problem for you.
They are the new dealership. Original one was worse. Original one charged me for the free Jeep Wave program among other fraudulent tactics. Had to go to corporate to get that refunded. Corporate made that right financially. One would think a vehicle that cost me more than if I bought a Lexus RX would at least be of the same quality. I’ve owned 9 cars in my life. All of them except for one I took to 150,000+ miles and NEVER had a major part fail like swapping axles, wiring harness or steering box ever within warranty or up to the time I sold the vehicles at 150k miles. This is my first American vehicle purchased. After owning many Toyota’s and a Subaru now which is my daily driver; Jeep definitely has a quality issue. My stock 2021 steering box was defective from the factory. The new one at high heat (Think Arizona) - driving at 100° to 122° the new steering box is loose and wanders on freeway. When it’s cooler out it is better. That’s a design issue. Thank you any way. I am encouraging all who post up about the 2021 steering box to file on NHTSA so this gets visibility. I see online complaints about jeep dealers particularly telling women, I don’t see the men post this up…., to women the box “can’t be bad because it’s the new design”. Working for my career in systems design, it’s done by humans, and humans are not infallible; yes the new design can have a flaw in it. That’s why Agile process is used to do iterations to perfect the design so it’s as it should be.

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Well, my dealer tried to fix this... saying that the part could be ordered and so I waited the 1 month lead time and dropped it off on Monday morning for the repair. I picked it up Monday evening with them saying that it was done and the message was cleared and the tech operated the front locker several times successfully.

I went out and started it up, and there the alarm light and service axle locker message is again. I checked the paperwork, and they just changed the locker actuator, not the sensor. Ugh!

I have to make up my mind here. I have the MaxCare lifetime warranty. So I can have them try again and again and again, etc.... or do I just work around it, either with the Aux switches or with the zauto adapters... hmm.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Well, my dealer tried to fix this... saying that the part could be ordered and so I waited the 1 month lead time and dropped it off on Monday morning for the repair. I picked it up Monday evening with them saying that it was done and the message was cleared and the tech operated the front locker several times successfully.

I went out and started it up, and there the alarm light and service axle locker message is again. I checked the paperwork, and they just changed the locker actuator, not the sensor. Ugh!

I have to make up my mind here. I have the MaxCare lifetime warranty. So I can have them try again and again and again, etc.... or do I just work around it, either with the Aux switches or with the zauto adapters... hmm.
2021 Rubicon. Same happened here. The wiring harness is also bad. Took them 21 days to replace both axles and my wiring harness. The pins also get damaged when manufacturing the Jeep. Yes it’s intermittent make sure you video it. I gave them several videos so they could not argue and did Star cases. If this is a new jeep check the lemon law statute for your state. You may find you may have to drop a buyback or lemon law to force them to fix it quicker. I have no clue why Jeep takes so long to do repairs compared to other manufacturers. I’ve never experienced this anywhere else except Jeep where it takes weeks to get your vehicle fixed.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I have no clue why Jeep takes so long to do repairs compared to other manufacturers. I’ve never experienced this anywhere else except Jeep where it takes weeks to get your vehicle fixed.
Mine was in the shop for just over 30 days for the steering box.

Question for all about the sensor failure. Are these lights coming on only when you are using the lockers or can the warning pop up at anytime?

I don't use my lockers much since I live in the middle of a city with not many places to off-road. In fact I've only used them twice and that was when I first got the Jeep, like under 100 miles on it. First time I activated them, I had to make a sharp turn to avoid a tree and the "Service Axle Locker" notification came on in my gauge screen when I did. Got out of the woods, disengaged everything, re-engaged everything, and the message was gone. Just under 20K miles now and it hasn't come back on since, but I also haven't used my lockers since. Is my Jeep just waiting on me to use the lockers again so it can give me the warning?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Question for all about the sensor failure. Are these lights coming on only when you are using the lockers or can the warning pop up at anytime?

I don't use my lockers much since I live in the middle of a city with not many places to off-road. In fact I've only used them twice and that was when I first got the Jeep, like under 100 miles on it. First time I activated them, I had to make a sharp turn to avoid a tree and the "Service Axle Locker" notification came on in my gauge screen when I did. Got out of the woods, disengaged everything, re-engaged everything, and the message was gone. Just under 20K miles now and it hasn't come back on since, but I also haven't used my lockers since. Is my Jeep just waiting on me to use the lockers again so it can give me the warning?
The warning has nothing to do with using or not using the lockers. Many have gotten the warning with super low miles and never haven used the lockers.

Once the warning comes up you're pretty much done, meaning, you've got oil in the sensor so you either need to pay the $75 and get the Z harness and take care of it yourself or suffer at the hands of the dealership and get a replacement axle WITH THE SAME FAULTY SENSOR IN IT and pray the new sensor doesn't fail.

For now you would be wise to unplug the harness from your rear diff. On rare occasions the lockers have self engaged, I know for a fact first hand.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito

The light will be on when it goes bad regardless if you have the lockers activated or not.
Sponsored