Let talk 2 door JL

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
The Jeep Wrangler has always been a Toy for me, I never thought of it as a family vehicle, nor would I want one for that reason. I always think of a Jeep as a Jeep and not what many have made them into, but I do realize that the 4 door is used as a dual vehicle in todays family needs, it just doesn't work for me.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I'm torn between a 2-door and a 4-door. We have 2 big dogs, and often load up the car for weekend trips. The 2-door would probably be fine a lot of the time, especially if we take the rear seat out, but I have a feeling we'd take 4-door instead of the 4runner more often if we go with a 4door JL. Plus the extra range from the larger fuel tank seems nice on the 4door.

But day to day, the size of the 2door just seems nice. I had a 2door explorer and loved it. That nostalgia keeps bringing me back to the 2door JL.
If you dont need the rear seats you dont need the 4 door really. Plenty of space back there. then you can always carry a few extra items on the top.

Why do you think youll use the 4 door more often?. The 2 door is nimble, simple, it is a lot of fun specially off road. And you can get away with smaller tires.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The Jeep Wrangler has always been a Toy for me, I never thought of it as a family vehicle, nor would I want one for that reason. I always think of a Jeep as a Jeep and not what many have made them into, but I do realize that the 4 door is used as a dual vehicle in todays family needs, it just doesn't work for me.
At this stage of life having a vehicle purely as an accessory just isn't financially an option. Maybe in the future, but for now it has to be one size fits all activities. But the idea gives me something to work towards!

If you dont need the rear seats you dont need the 4 door really. Plenty of space back there. then you can always carry a few extra items on the top.

Why do you think youll use the 4 door more often?. The 2 door is nimble, simple, it is a lot of fun specially off road. And you can get away with smaller tires.
I'm just thinking about how often we use the 4runner for road trips. Once we have the 2 dogs back there (70 and 85 lbs) and then add a cooler and a couple bags I'm thinking it will be a little cramped. It all easily fits in the 4Runner though. A rooftop cargo area could help with that too I guess. And it's not like were getting rid of the 4Runner. But if we want to go camping with the dogs, I'd hate to have the Wrangler but still default to the 4Runner for the sake of stuff.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
For my up comming road trip I am removing the passenger seat(4 bolts) and installing a platform. A big ice chest will be straped on it and tool bags below. No need to waste the space with an empty seat and it's easy to put back when I return. 4drs. for one person, why?
Jeep Wrangler JL Let talk 2 door JL JL in Fall colors

40.772758, -110.884235

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
At this stage of life having a vehicle purely as an accessory just isn't financially an option. Maybe in the future, but for now it has to be one size fits all activities. But the idea gives me something to work towards!

I'm just thinking about how often we use the 4runner for road trips. Once we have the 2 dogs back there (70 and 85 lbs) and then add a cooler and a couple bags I'm thinking it will be a little cramped. It all easily fits in the 4Runner though. A rooftop cargo area could help with that too I guess. And it's not like were getting rid of the 4Runner. But if we want to go camping with the dogs, I'd hate to have the Wrangler but still default to the 4Runner for the sake of stuff.
Yeah. I wouldn't know cause I don't have dogs. But Ive taken 4 people on trips and I am ok with it. You'll be sitting up front so you wont even notice

Last edited:

Sponsored

kharland17

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I've had both 2 doors and 4 doors. I currently have a 2 door Rubicon, I love everything about it. yes there isn't much space (remove the rear seat) but every time i hop into my jeep i have nothing but a huge smile on my face.

Now I have 2 dogs and a newborn coming. I'm Hoping the other half lets me keep it. I would love to save it and pass it onto my child in the future but i know a 4 door is coming back into the picture.... Hey at least it's still a wrangler.

image10.jpeg

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I had a 2door explorer and loved it. That nostalgia keeps bringing me back to the 2door JL.
So I have to ask, is the nostalgia you feel really just for the 2-door, or is it for a time before dogs, wives, and whatever else you have that you're not going to have room for if you get a 2-door?

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
So I have to ask, is the nostalgia you feel really just for the 2-door, or is it for a time before dogs, wives, and whatever else you have that you're not going to have room for if you get a 2-door?
Haha, it's strictly for the 2 door. Had one of the pups with the old 2 door Explorer, and we just got married last year. We actually pushed back the big wedding to be a one year anniversary that's coming up in a couple months. Very happy with that life choice all the way around.

I think it's more that I've always talked myself into a more practical vehicle, and now I've pretty much decided for my next vehicle I want a car that I actually want (within reason). I originally was dead set on a 4 door, but I keep thinking back to my old 2 door, and thinking that just seems more fun to drive. But I have a little more literal baggage in life now, and I'd hate to finally get a fun car just to have it sit out most trips because it doesn't quite have enough space for certain things.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I think it's more that I've always talked myself into a more practical vehicle, and now I've pretty much decided for my next vehicle I want a car that I actually want (within reason).
Maybe "within reason" is a YJ beater for fun, instead of dropping $40K+ on a new JL toy that sounds like it will spend most of its days parked because of practical demands.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
I have both. They are different. With the back seat out there is more room than the back of a 4 door. Obviously not if you put the seats down in the 4 door. With the back seat folded up in the 2 door there is about as much room as the back of the 4 door. I have a hitch mounted cargo carrier when i need more space in the 2 door. They drive differently. The 2 door gets pushed around by air a bit more and the shorter wheel base gives you more of a "Jeep" ride. They both drive and ride great you really cant go wrong with either. Before we bought the 4 door we had 2 2 doors as our only vehicles. We still would but one was destroyed in an accident. It worked out well but yes there are times the bigger vehicle is nice. I have 4 Golden Retrievers that was one of the reasons we bought the 4 door.

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Maybe "within reason" is a YJ beater for fun, instead of dropping $40K+ on a new JL toy that sounds like it will spend most of its days parked because of practical demands.
That's certainly an option, but I think I'd personally prefer to have a 4 door that serve every need compared to having a 3rd vehicle.
But if a 2 door can fit our lifestyle, that sounds pretty appealing :)

I have 4 Golden Retrievers that was one of the reasons we bought the 4 door.
This guy gets it :LOL:
We have a yard... for our dogs.
I'm considering a 4 door... for our dogs.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
That's certainly an option, but I think I'd personally prefer to have a 4 door that serve every need compared to having a 3rd vehicle.

Easy.

4 door jeep = 4 dogs
2doors + 2 doors = 2 dogs + 2 dogs
2doors = 2dogs

You should be good, it is math.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Easy.

4 door jeep = 4 dogs
2doors + 2 doors = 2 dogs + 2 dogs
2doors = 2dogs

You should be good, it is math.

Wow, 4. I can barely keep 1 happy. We lost my girl Jun 2020, and just have my boy now. He demands soooo much attention it is crazy. Good thing we have so many kids in my cul-de-sac, if it were not for them I would not be able to wear him out as easily. But would not trade him or any other puppy I have ever had.

yogi.jpeg

gweber

First Name
george
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
I love my two door. I don't have small children and can't see a need to haul anything larger than a very small lunch box.
Sponsored