Sponsored

When the dealership checks to see if youve abused your jeep…

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Every car company is probably guilty of that at one time or another. Chevy, Porsche, BMW, Subaru, Ford, etc, all advertise cars as track capable machines. Until something related ot not fails.
There’s a difference, though. Most automakers will show a fully equipped vehicle on the track.

FCA is one of the few that actively promotes aftermarket lifts, oversized tires, winches, and then turns around and punish you for installing any of it on your Jeep.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I was not clear. Techs get whatever they are handed. The Owner, general and service manager worry about the billable rates and cash flow. A service manager will almost always take in a retail customer over a warranty claim if they need to make their monthly quotas.
I had techs play judge and jury in determining when something was or wasn’t covered by warranty.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I didn't say drive it like a grandma....A Jeeps is simply the last thing that comes to my mind for burnouts...Like I said before, sorry to be the a$$hole but felt others had to be curious also...It's your Jeep and enjoy it by all means!!! And NO, hard driving is not abuse!!! I'm on your side on that one.
No i fully understand, i dont see how youre being an ass. Youre simply stating the truth when you say i bought the wrong vehicle for my type of driving. However, Ive had my share of cars but the jeep is the best vehicle ive ever owned. Getting a car would be a complete downgrade!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hmmm....speak for yourself. We are a "working class" household and far from assholes. Never owned a Prius because they are UAF.
IMG_1116.jpeg
Hate to tell you this guy, but you’re probably not “working class”.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
As long as they don't have access to the pics or videos I've posted to my local Jeep group, I think I'm OK.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where I live both the Tesla and Prius drivers are of the virtuous elitist club and purposely drive under the speed limits because they are assholes...LOL

I just sold a house the other day that the sellers had installed their Tesla charger in the garage. You would not believe the hoopla they made over whether or not it was staying and they were sure to make a big deal about it being there. My working class buyers didn't care a whit about the charger, it is of no use to them, none of us were impressed.
I installed a Tesla charger for a neighbor in exchange for a case of beer. He bought the $150 in materials too. Told me 3 quotes from electrical contractors came back at around $1,500 for the install. That's probably they were making a big deal over it....

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I installed a Tesla charger for a neighbor in exchange for a case of beer. He bought the $150 in materials too. Told me 3 quotes from electrical contractors came back at around $1,500 for the install. That's probably they were making a big deal over it....
1500 for the install!? All theyre doing is cutting in a 4x4 and running 12 gauge to the garage panel, right? I havent looked at what an install is like but I cant see it being more than just that. Either way I hope you got more than beer. Most people ask me to do side work and I tell them I hate electrical so much I wouldnt even take 50/hr

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1500 for the install!? All theyre doing is cutting in a 4x4 and running 12 gauge to the garage panel, right? I havent looked at what an install is like but I cant see it being more than just that. Either way I hope you got more than beer. Most people ask me to do side work and I tell them I hate electrical so much I wouldnt even take 50/hr
I did it in 2 hours. Pretty easy since the panel was in the garage. That was the "friends and neighbor" rate.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I had techs play judge and jury in determining when something was or wasn’t covered by warranty.
Same here. There are definitely incompetent or lazy techs. Nothing like seeing "performs as intended" or some other BS on the service ticket when you pick up your vehicle.

That can happen because the tech is the first gate keeper and expert opinion for the car company. A tech might try sweeping a warranty issue under the rug to avoid it until later. Usually the solution to a bad call by a incompetent or lazy tech is to try another dealer.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There was a company with a booth up at the Chicago Auto Show this year. First time I ever saw them. They specialized in installing chargers for EVs. There minimum rate for a basic install was $3500! The guy said the average rate was probably $5000. I suspect all they were doing was subcontracting out the work after giving a estimate? :LOL:

It depends on how fast you want to charge, where you live, building codes, how long of a run, how difficult the run is, is it a Union building, and if your building has enough capacity. Copper, Union labor, fees can be expensive expensive.

Canada is probably different. The US, States, cities, villages are all different. Then there are different home owners associations or buildings. Many in large cities require bonds, proof of insurance, plans, permits and other requirements. Certain cities, villages, towns require permits and inspections. It can cost $300-$500 just for local permits. Some cities or villages require metal pipe because Romex or BX is not allowed per building or city code, etc. All that adds to cost.

I have friends who had Tesla fast chargers installed. On average the cost was $1200-$2000 in Chicago. Plus $500 for the Tesla fast wall charger. One friend who lives in a older building needed more capacity for the fast charger and their cost was $4500. That involved running in a new service and having the electric company run new line to the meter.

Last edited:

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
When you all say “charger”, do you mean just the 220 outlet or the outlet AND the plug in charger? Ours came with a charger and we just had to get the outlet installed. Same outlet as a dryer outlet. Cost us $350. The $1000+ prices you all are quoting are beyond ridiculous. And if we move, the outlet will stay, we take the charger. That’s an idiot/stingy move to actually want to rip the outlet out.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
When you all say “charger”, do you mean just the 220 outlet or the outlet AND the plug in charger? Ours came with a charger and we just had to get the outlet installed. Same outlet as a dryer outlet. Cost us $350. The $1000+ prices you all are quoting are beyond ridiculous. And if we move, the outlet will stay, we take the charger. That’s an idiot/stingy move to actually want to rip the outlet out.
The "permanent" chargers are wired directly behind the wall. You can get a bit more amperage doing that rather than using a plug (if you run big enough wire), whether it makes a difference in your life?

We charge our Tesla off the mobile charger and a 240V outlet. Think we paid something like $500 to have it ran.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
The "permanent" chargers are wired directly behind the wall. You can get a bit more amperage doing that rather than using a plug (if you run big enough wire), whether it makes a difference in your life?

We charge our Tesla off the mobile charger and a 240V outlet. Think we paid something like $500 to have it ran.
Oh....ok

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every location is going to be different. So cost will vary a lot.

$350 to run a 240VNEMA 14-50 outlet is probably right if it's very close to the box. Your service box probably is very close to the garage. And you had enough capacity in your box. My friends had to add 50A breakers, run pipe and the 220V outlet the Tesla fast charger plugs into. The Charger was a additional $500 from Tesla. Has wifi and some other features.

Personally any electrical work is part of the house if I were to sell. I can see someone wanting to take the Tesla charger with them when they moved. Kind of like taking a window A/C unit or something. Would I make a big deal out of leaving or keeping a charger if the buyer wanted it? Nope. They can have it if that was the hold up with the sale.

Faster higher capacity chargers generally cost more than a slower 110 charger.
Sponsored