First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JK
Occupation
Writer, editor, nature lover
Hi Maggie, I just came back from a 2000 mile trip on a 2018 JL Sport (crank windows and door locks). It’s a two door with the 2.0T Etorque, auto, and a soft top. We had the AC on all the time, speeds of 80/85 and averaged 27.7mpg. It was a very comfortable ride, and yes it’s a wrangler and yes there are crosswinds sometimes, but that happens with any smaller car too. The soft top handled well, it is incredibly sturdy, but I’m sure the hardtop would be quieter, and probably gain you a couple mpg more. Last year I did a mountain trip to Vermont in the fall and average 30mpg (ac was off).

Coming from a 1980 CJ5 you’ll find the wrangler a “drive” in the park, and you’ll probably handle it better than most of us combined too.

I never had a JK, and hear the JL was a big improvement. I’m sure whichever you choose will be great, and both engine options (3.6 and 2.0) have proved to be very reliable - I wanted peppy and mpg so I went with the 2.0, but that really depends on your personal preferences and budget. Good luck!

PS: I bought mine used last year, it’s my daily driver and wouldn’t trade it for any bathtub on wheels made for the highway 🙂
LFMS - Great thoughts. I don't mind comfort at all. My other vehicle is an Audi A4. But if I can find a decently comfy Jeep for these long trips, I'll be thrilled. I've always loved Jeeps, and do want a newer one than the CJ5, which has been a blast, but is a bear to drive on the highway. But yes, I can drive pretty much anything, including our John Deere 4010, a motorcycle, and anything with a manual transmission, so I'm pretty sure I'll love a newer Jeep, while enjoying it immensely. Thanks!
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You're getting tons of good info to digest @MaggieGirl
I know it's a slightly different world then when we ordered our 2019 JL but just some tidbits. With the tread lightly discount combined w/ 5% below invoice pricing on ordered vehicles (from Jim Marsh in Las Vegas) we paid about 32K for our JL Sport w/ AT, hardtop, and S pkg (power windows, locks, ugly wheels). But that said the kbb value is now around 34k w/ our 22k miles on it.

In Iowa you may be within a reasonable drive from a dealer that has good discounts on ordered Jeeps. I think this thread is updated w/ a list of those dealers
https://sites.google.com/view/wranglerdeals/home

Maybe other members can chime in w/ their good dealer dealings :)

And FWIW, the JK is a good platform, but if you want an AT the 8AT in the JL is worth every hard earned penny you can save, it really is a game-changer. The 5AT in the JK isn't in the right rpm range in a lot of cases and hunts for the right gear quite a bit, also the mpg takes a hit. The 8AT in the JLs has lightning quick shifts (and shifts hard) and adapts much better to your driving patterns. It's rarely in the wrong gear at the wrong time. I've always preferred manual transmissions but this AT is superb and makes the lack of a clutch pedal much easier to live with (and I'm old so there's that, lol)

OP
OP
MaggieGirl

MaggieGirl

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You're getting tons of good info to digest @MaggieGirl
I know it's a slightly different world then when we ordered our 2019 JL but just some tidbits. With the tread lightly discount combined w/ 5% below invoice pricing on ordered vehicles (from Jim Marsh in Las Vegas) we paid about 32K for our JL Sport w/ AT, hardtop, and S pkg (power windows, locks, ugly wheels). But that said the kbb value is now around 34k w/ our 22k miles on it.

In Iowa you may be within a reasonable drive from a dealer that has good discounts on ordered Jeeps. I think this thread is updated w/ a list of those dealers
https://sites.google.com/view/wranglerdeals/home

Maybe other members can chime in w/ their good dealer dealings :)

And FWIW, the JK is a good platform, but if you want an AT the 8AT in the JL is worth every hard earned penny you can save, it really is a game-changer. The 5AT in the JK isn't in the right rpm range in a lot of cases and hunts for the right gear quite a bit, also the mpg takes a hit. The 8AT in the JLs has lightning quick shifts (and shifts hard) and adapts much better to your driving patterns. It's rarely in the wrong gear at the wrong time. I've always preferred manual transmissions but this AT is superb and makes the lack of a clutch pedal much easier to live with (and I'm old so there's that, lol)
I'm going for an automatic this time around. For long trips, I want the comfort of that. Thanks.

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I recently traded my 4 Door Willys for a 2 Door and have been pleasantly surprised with the ride of the 2Dr. I expected it to be considerably worse but so far I’m very happy.

Having said that if you are doing a lot of long distance trips I would check out the Grand Cherokee as well. We have a 2020 GC and it’s one of if not the most comfortable riding vehicle we have ever owned, especially on a long trip. Good luck on your search!

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I never understood the idea that modern Wrangler is bad for road trips. Even in my 2014 JK I would drive non-stop from Anchorage to Valdez few hundred miles nonstop over 6ish hours and never had any pains. It may be one of the most beautiful drives in the world but roads are less than ideal in many places. Maybe I just don't cramp or hurt as much as others not sure. Just popping the freedom tops off and rolling is better than any sunroof I ever had.
Well, I can tell you that in certain parts of the country, there are lots of vehicles that drive better. I do a road trip from Denver to Iowa and back to visit the folks. Driving across the prairie in Nebraska with the high winds is challenging in a huge box of a vehicle. Especially a 2 door. I've done the trip in regular cars and it's much easier on the driver.

The ideal road trip vehicle isn't a wrangler. But if you want to road trip in a wrangler, there are certain ones that are better than others.

That being said, I bought my diesel Rubicon with the intent of doing some multi-day road trips around the country rather than get a "better" road trip specific vehicle.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I bought a Sahara 2.o turbo for just the same reason. It is my daily driver and gets me through the New England winters. I just got back from a MA to NH to Vermont north country trip last week. Highway. back roads to gravel roads. This thing is better riding than any truck I have owned. Comfortable, plenty of pep. (for what it is it's a rocket ship]. I do run premium fuel but just got 26.7mpg at the pump. Not one complaint, I love this thing. 13k+ and not a hiccup.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
gato, what year is your JLU? I'm just learning the lingo for the newer jeeps; all my experience is with older Willys (we have a 1961) and CJs (we have 2). I'm assuming JL is the model and U is for Unlimited. Thanks. This is good info.

Oh, one more question. So, pre-2016 Wranglers can't really be driven at night? Is that what you're saying?
Look at my signature for the model, year and mods. It is a 2021 JL Unlimited (4-door) Rubicon. But prior to that I had a 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon and loved it just as much.

My 2016 was better set up for road trips with an AEV relocation bracket that set the suspension angles better for road trips. You can get a 2016/2017 JKU for a lot less (40%-50% less) than a 2021 JLU.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. It's really just what you can afford and how well maintained they were (if buying used).

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
All I can tell you is that I have a manual 6-speed Rubicon 4 door with aftermarket wheels and 35 inch tires that are 12.5 inches wide. I wouldn't have it any other way, but anything longer than an hour's ride is torture. Luckily for me, Montauk is exactly 1 hour east and Manhattan is exactly 1 hour west so I rarely have to drive longer than one hour.
My buddy has a JLUR Sahara automatic with stock tires and suspension and it is much smoother.
My brother-in-law has a Gladiator Sport with the stock 31 tires and that thing is unbelievably smooth on long trips (maybe because of the longer wheelbase?)...it's almost like a regular sedan. H

OP
OP
MaggieGirl

MaggieGirl

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I bought a Sahara 2.o turbo for just the same reason. It is my daily driver and gets me through the New England winters. I just got back from a MA to NH to Vermont north country trip last week. Highway. back roads to gravel roads. This thing is better riding than any truck I have owned. Comfortable, plenty of pep. (for what it is it's a rocket ship]. I do run premium fuel but just got 26.7mpg at the pump. Not one complaint, I love this thing. 13k+ and not a hiccup.
Wkaz - this is great to hear. Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MaggieGirl

MaggieGirl

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Look at my signature for the model, year and mods. It is a 2021 JL Unlimited (4-door) Rubicon. But prior to that I had a 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon and loved it just as much.

My 2016 was better set up for road trips with an AEV relocation bracket that set the suspension angles better for road trips. You can get a 2016/2017 JKU for a lot less (40%-50% less) than a 2021 JLU.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. It's really just what you can afford and how well maintained they were (if buying used).
2016/2017 JKU - I'll look into this. Thank you! I love these specifics.

OP
OP
MaggieGirl

MaggieGirl

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
All I can tell you is that I have a manual 6-speed Rubicon 4 door with aftermarket wheels and 35 inch tires that are 12.5 inches wide. I wouldn't have it any other way, but anything longer than an hour's ride is torture. Luckily for me, Montauk is exactly 1 hour east and Manhattan is exactly 1 hour west so I rarely have to drive longer than one hour.
My buddy has a JLUR Sahara automatic with stock tires and suspension and it is much smoother.
My brother-in-law has a Gladiator Sport with the stock 31 tires and that thing is unbelievably smooth on long trips (maybe because of the longer wheelbase?)...it's almost like a regular sedan. H
Beaching 631 - I like the Gladiator, but it's a little pricey. I may have to test drive one anyway. Thanks. But the JLUs are looking good to me right now.

OP
OP
MaggieGirl

MaggieGirl

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I recently traded my 4 Door Willys for a 2 Door and have been pleasantly surprised with the ride of the 2Dr. I expected it to be considerably worse but so far I’m very happy.

Having said that if you are doing a lot of long distance trips I would check out the Grand Cherokee as well. We have a 2020 GC and it’s one of if not the most comfortable riding vehicle we have ever owned, especially on a long trip. Good luck on your search!
Namakan, no Cherokee for me, but I'll give the newer Willys a look too. (We have a '61 Willys, but I assume that's not what you're talking about :) .)

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If you are dead set on a Wrangler for your long road trips, your choices are:
1 - In the $5K-$10K range a 2004-2006 Wrangler Unlimited LJ (long wheelbase TJ)
2 - In the $20-$35K range a 2012-2018 JKU 4 Door Wrangler 5-speed auto
3 - In the $30K-$75K range a 2018-2021 JLU 4-door automatic Wrangler

The JKU is a huge step over the LJ.

The JLU is a little step over the latter models JKU.

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and thinking about getting another Jeep. I currently have a 1980 CJ5 which I'll be selling so I can get something more road-worthy, as in long road trips. I have no idea where to start, but I do love the looks of the Wrangler, so am thinking this is a good place to ask: which might be best for long trips (1000 miles back and forth), not as much noise on the interstate, more comfort, and a reasonable price. I don't need a ton of bells and whistles, but reliability is necessary. I will make sure it has regular maintenance. Also, which year (nothing new)? The longer wheel base of the 4 doors may be a better fit too. I won't use it off-road that much, and when I do it'll be for light off-roading, nothing heavy. Then why a Jeep? Because I do love Jeeps & because I want one. To me, that's enough of a reason. Why have something you don't love?
We have had a 2 door yj, a 4 door jl, and now a 4 door jl. My experience suggests a 4 door with the diesel engine in whatever price range you want.
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and thinking about getting another Jeep. I currently have a 1980 CJ5 which I'll be selling so I can get something more road-worthy, as in long road trips. I have no idea where to start, but I do love the looks of the Wrangler, so am thinking this is a good place to ask: which might be best for long trips (1000 miles back and forth), not as much noise on the interstate, more comfort, and a reasonable price. I don't need a ton of bells and whistles, but reliability is necessary. I will make sure it has regular maintenance. Also, which year (nothing new)? The longer wheel base of the 4 doors may be a better fit too. I won't use it off-road that much, and when I do it'll be for light off-roading, nothing heavy. Then why a Jeep? Because I do love Jeeps & because I want one. To me, that's enough of a reason. Why have something you don't love?
Sponsored