UPDATE ON dealer already claiming that it may not be covered under warranty

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
The dealer has good cause to be hesitant to commit to you that it would be covered under warranty.

You have modified things that could have an effect on the TPMS. Take responsibility for your modifications.
I agree with this. You modified stuff and now it’s screwed up. The sensors had to be removed and applied to the new wheels. I hear this a lot…Jeep isn’t standing by their warranty or my Jeep doesn’t drive right. Yet, those same people put on a lift, new wheels, re-geared, had the ecu flashed etc. If you take your Jeep beyond factory specs then expect Jeep to question.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Modifying tires and lift does not void the sensors or the sensor system. Diagnostics has nothing to do with parts unless said parts are no longer oem. The sensors are oem and so is the system. They will try to tell you your lift puts them out of range which is just as dumb as any other logic that denies the parts to be serviced.
A. You're assuming the sensors are oem, they may not be.
B. Some aftermarket wheels are much thicker than oem and can interfere with signal
C. They were removed and installed by a tire shop, maybe damaged in the process. The tire shop would be on the hook for the sensor at that point, but obviously fca would not.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
OK, back on December 22nd I took possession of my 2021 JLU Sport S. In January I had bronze wheels, 35's and a 2.5 inch lift installed at an excellent shop (not dealer installed or Mopar). Now about 5-6 weeks ago the light came on saying that the front drivers side tire has zero tire pressure while I was driving. I stopped, got out checked the tire and it was fully inflated. I took it to an amazing tire place where I have bought my tires for at least 25-30 years and they checked it all out and said there is no problem with tire pressure, in fact all 4 tires and spare are perfect. I was at the dealer getting the oil change and had them check out the pressure issue, obviously it's an issue with the diagnostic computer system, not the tires. They came back to me and first words out of their mouth was, "did you have the lift installed by us?" and "if it wasn't installed by us it is probably not covered by warranty". I am calling BULLSHIT! I feel like they are already trying to avoid having it covered by warranty and have me pay out of pocket before they even try to diagnose why the tire pressure light will not go off even though all the tires are properly inflated. Anyone else have the same problem with the tire pressure light and what do you all think? Did I void the warranty by not going through them for the bronze wheels, 35's and 2.5 lift? (it's a Rubicon lift BTW)
Unfortunately this is true - and it isn’t about “getting out of having to pay warranty”, it is about what a warranty is and what it isn’t.

A warranty is intended to cover a manufacturers defect. It is covered by the manufacturer, and the dealer (as the authorized service Center) will fix it at cost if it can be demonstrated that the manufacturer is at fault. If you f#%k with a manufacturers OEM equipment, PROVING it is a manufacturers defect is now 100% on you. Manufacturers won’t take your word for what was done or wasn’t, they would need to investigate for themselves, and that is something Jeep won’t pay the dealer to do.

This is they way it is throughout industry, btw. It is not a policy restricted to the automotive world.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
I think the Op's point is that the dealership immediately assumed the wheels/lift are causing the issue without any attempt to confirm. I'd be upset too, even if it turned out to be a bad after market TPMS sensor and I'd then be on the hook for the repair.

I had a similar situation with my 2015 JKU - aftermarket wheels, tires, and leveling kit. The EVIC would throw a "Check TPMS System" error whenever it rained outside or someone was sitting in the passenger seat. Dealer checked all sensors and modules and determined there was a fault in the wiring harness - under direction of FCA (Star case) they were told to run another wire from the rear sensor mounted on the differential to the PCM under the hood.

All under warranty. Not once did they ever even mention that my wheels/tires/lift might be the issue. Find another dealer.

Sponsored

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
A. You're assuming the sensors are oem, they may not be.
B. Some aftermarket wheels are much thicker than oem and can interfere with signal
C. They were removed and installed by a tire shop, maybe damaged in the process. The tire shop would be on the hook for the sensor at that point, but obviously fca would not.
A. That’s a safe assumption. Not many people buy new sensors when their like new ones are installed for free at most shops.
B. You are incorrect, even full walled beedlocks do not block the transmission.
C. Assuming that they are broken then yes it would be on the tire shop, however they know nothing of how the tires/rims were installed.

most people who buy wranglers have decided on rims and/or tires before they have even started talking about prices. Fca knows this and covers these types of things on the regular. It’s the dealerships who are lazy, useless, price gouging and generally unconcerned for their guests and loooooooove to do anything to avoid warranty work due to the payment process. If the sensors broken fca will replace it, getting the dealership to do the work is the problem.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
OK, back on December 22nd I took possession of my 2021 JLU Sport S. In January I had bronze wheels, 35's and a 2.5 inch lift installed at an excellent shop (not dealer installed or Mopar). Now about 5-6 weeks ago the light came on saying that the front drivers side tire has zero tire pressure while I was driving. I stopped, got out checked the tire and it was fully inflated. I took it to an amazing tire place where I have bought my tires for at least 25-30 years and they checked it all out and said there is no problem with tire pressure, in fact all 4 tires and spare are perfect. I was at the dealer getting the oil change and had them check out the pressure issue, obviously it's an issue with the diagnostic computer system, not the tires. They came back to me and first words out of their mouth was, "did you have the lift installed by us?" and "if it wasn't installed by us it is probably not covered by warranty". I am calling BULLSHIT! I feel like they are already trying to avoid having it covered by warranty and have me pay out of pocket before they even try to diagnose why the tire pressure light will not go off even though all the tires are properly inflated. Anyone else have the same problem with the tire pressure light and what do you all think? Did I void the warranty by not going through them for the bronze wheels, 35's and 2.5 lift? (it's a Rubicon lift BTW)
Could be just an issue with the tire sensor. Also let them know you will not be back for any future maintenance. Especially no oil changes. The dealership I purchased my Jeep from wouldn’t warranty my battery that is only 2 years old. Funny thing when I reminded them of word of mouth advertising they didn’t even care. Find a new dealership, that is what I did and move on.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I think the Op's point is that the dealership immediately assumed the wheels/lift are causing the issue without any attempt to confirm. I'd be upset too, even if it turned out to be a bad after market TPMS sensor and I'd then be on the hook for the repair.

I had a similar situation with my 2015 JKU - aftermarket wheels, tires, and leveling kit. The EVIC would throw a "Check TPMS System" error whenever it rained outside or someone was sitting in the passenger seat. Dealer checked all sensors and modules and determined there was a fault in the wiring harness - under direction of FCA (Star case) they were told to run another wire from the rear sensor mounted on the differential to the PCM under the hood.

All under warranty. Not once did they ever even mention that my wheels/tires/lift might be the issue. Find another dealer.
If the sensor turns out to be aftermarket or damaged by the tire shop, you'd be on the hook for the diagnostic time AND the repair. I'd rather have them warn me up front that this may not be a warranty issue so I'm prepared to pay out of pocket before they show up with the bill for diagnostics and the estimate for the repair. If you came to me with aftermarket wheels and tires telling me that the sensor inside the non-factory parts isn't working, I'd say odds are it was your installer, but that's just me I guess?

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Rotate the tires. See if the issue moves with the tire or not.

This. If it moves then it’s most likely the TPMS module in the tire. If it’s an aftermarket TPMS then it’s probably been on a shelf for awhile and the battery died or it’s a cheap module and broke. They aren’t terribly expensive. It’ll cost more in labor to replace it more than likely. It’s the part plus the dismount and remount of the tire.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
While I agree with you that it is not likely an issue caused by your aftermarket modifications, I also don't fault the dealer for not covering it under warranty.

A third party shop handled/touched/installed aftermarket/non-OEM parts possibly related to the issue you're reporting. The second the dealer decides to cover it under warranty or investigate it as such, it can be argued that they essentially now assume responsibility for it. Imagine if they did that every time a third party shop installed aftermarket parts which actually caused problems with customer cars. They'd be out of business!

Oh, and I'm guessing the excellent shop stopped being so excellent when you brought this issue to their attention? I know, because I've been there before with previous non-Jeep cars. This is not CDJR specific. Taught me (the hard and VERY expensive way) to not make any significant changes to any vehicle covered by a warranty without being ready for that warranty to be voided as a result. So for now, I'm enjoying stock wheels and stock height 33's on my stock height JLUR. Good luck, but don't hold your breath.
That’s completely flawed logic.
First: If the TPMS was working when he left the tire shop - they didn’t damage anything.
Second: If you apply your logic, the dealer would rarely need to cover anything. Paint peeling? Sorry. You got it washed somewhere else. Rod knock? Nope. You changed your own oil. Radio died? Sorry again, you’re phone cables aren’t from us.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
That’s completely flawed logic.
First: If the TPMS was working when he left the tire shop - they didn’t damage anything.
Second: If you apply your logic, the dealer would rarely need to cover anything. Paint peeling? Sorry. You got it washed somewhere else. Rod knock? Nope. You changed your own oil. Radio died? Sorry again, you’re phone cables aren’t from us.
There's cause and effect. Changed your own oil, but refilled it with atf? On your own with the rod knock. Phone cables caused a short that fried the radio? Not a warranty repair either. Sensor failed after being removed and installed by someone else? Tire shop would be on the hook not the factory warranty.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
I would have to side with the dealer on this one. First off Chrysler warranties are voided by any lift over 2”. This may be why they were asking (I doubt it) knowing the 2” mopar lift gives you more than 2”. Changing the rims and type of tire are factors that will affect the performance of the system not to mention the question of if factory parts were used and if a mopar certified mechanic did the work. Lifts 2” and under only void the warranty if they can be shown to be the cause of the problem. Don’t get me wrong, I am not a fan of dealer service centers but this lands on their side of the fence.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The dealer was being up front about telling the OP it may not be covered by warranty. He was stating that if they look into it and find that there is a problem caused by the modifications, they will charge for the diagnosis as well as the repair. That's a fair and honest.

The OP made the conclusion " obviously it's an issue with the diagnostic computer system, not the tires. ". While it was clear the tires aren't the problem, the TPMS sensors within the wheel could be a problem. The OP may or may not be correct. But the dealer is trying to be fair and honest to all involved IMO.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Well the good thing is, Mopar now sells the Yukon package, with 35's.
Personally, I just need a stock height Willys, with a 392.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I don’t think TPMS sensors stretch when you drop the axle, just brake lines. But if they do, they might have a valid deny if the harness was stretched. Easy enough to prove, but it’s on them to prove the install broke the part.
Tpms sensors are inside the tires and are not effected by lift or tire size.
Sponsored