Sponsored

When the dealership checks to see if youve abused your jeep…

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I had the common problem many on this forum had. Rear end gears start shredding themselves
With that in mind, I wonder if gear burnishing is worth discussing.

I paid for a burnishing service to extend the service life of the rear end gear set in a first generation Honda CR-V. That vehicle was driven with care, and did not suffer from a surplus of horsepower, so I'm wondering the need to do so could be walked back to the quality of the parts used.
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Except Tesla has by far the worst customer service experience of any vehicle manufacturer ever. You go in to buy a vehicle and they don't pay attention to you. You go to buy a used vehicle through their website, they offer you a different vehicle then condescend to you that it's not the one (either range or performance options) you want or need - and then try to refuse to refund the deposit. You go to buy a new S online before they make the shit design change they currently are - you get assurances from 5 different 'Managers' that you will get the one you ordered, and then 8 months after the original delivery date (never once getting told about the delay until you call a week after) get told that they're waiting on the redesign to finish and you will get one of those. Go to cancel and then get condescended to and deposit refused.... And they pull the same bullshit "easy" experience where there are no discounts, no negotiation, no give-a-f about anything other than profit and if you try to ask for out-the-door pricing they pull the same "it's this much after estimated savings" that their website does.

I have tesla-owning friends who have had repair claims refused for even more ridiculous reasons - one whose battery COMPLETELY FAILED (not fire, but just got a "Unable to charge - Disconnect cable and retry" error every time even at superchargers) and was denied because his in-home charger wasn't connected to wifi for them to get diagnostic information. One had their aero skirt on the bottom fall off because the clips weren't the normal clips (early model) and the dealer tried to charge them $8k saying that it was from them scraping on some of the long speed-bumps around their house - on a Model X which has PLENTY of clearance.

If manufacturers go the way of Tesla, then you will all dream of returning to the worst dealers of today...
you never realized you are complaining the bad until you had experienced the worse.

I used to complain to my friend Mercedes and Land Rover dealer had horrible services UNTIL I bought my first Jeep….

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
Most Tech's hate warranty work because they are deprived of the opportunity to make more money at the retail level.

The warranty repair labor rate is predetermined by the car manufacturer. These rates are not the same as what a retail customer would pay. Most warranty work is billed and paid at a much lower rate than what a retail customer would pay. Then there is cash flow. Cash flow is the most important tool for dealers. A retail customer pays for the repair/service the day the vehicle is completed and picked up. Warranty reimbursements can take a lot of time to process. A busy service department will give higher priority to better paying customers if they are behind.
yes, I agree. I am not talking about the individual tech. I am talking the service department in general makes money from Warranty work. No, it is not gravy. Well sometimes it is. But for the most part it is not gravy, but it is work. Part of a tech's job is to take some bones along with the gravy. If we all only did the stuff we liked at work, we would never get anything done.

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
Except Tesla has by far the worst customer service experience of any vehicle manufacturer ever. You go in to buy a vehicle and they don't pay attention to you. You go to buy a used vehicle through their website, they offer you a different vehicle then condescend to you that it's not the one (either range or performance options) you want or need - and then try to refuse to refund the deposit. You go to buy a new S online before they make the shit design change they currently are - you get assurances from 5 different 'Managers' that you will get the one you ordered, and then 8 months after the original delivery date (never once getting told about the delay until you call a week after) get told that they're waiting on the redesign to finish and you will get one of those. Go to cancel and then get condescended to and deposit refused.... And they pull the same bullshit "easy" experience where there are no discounts, no negotiation, no give-a-f about anything other than profit and if you try to ask for out-the-door pricing they pull the same "it's this much after estimated savings" that their website does.

I have tesla-owning friends who have had repair claims refused for even more ridiculous reasons - one whose battery COMPLETELY FAILED (not fire, but just got a "Unable to charge - Disconnect cable and retry" error every time even at superchargers) and was denied because his in-home charger wasn't connected to wifi for them to get diagnostic information. One had their aero skirt on the bottom fall off because the clips weren't the normal clips (early model) and the dealer tried to charge them $8k saying that it was from them scraping on some of the long speed-bumps around their house - on a Model X which has PLENTY of clearance.

If manufacturers go the way of Tesla, then you will all dream of returning to the worst dealers of today...
Tesla drivers are the old Prius drivers. Still assholes, but now more upscale assholes. Like Prius drivers they drive 10-15 mph over any posted speed limit, and think everyone is beneath them. Thinking they are saving the planet gives them a feeling of moral superiority, when all they really are is assholes who can't follow the the law.

Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Abuse... Interesting.
Let's see how the Jeep is marketed on the Jeep.com website

Jeep Wrangler JL When the dealership checks to see if youve abused your jeep… JG

The above shows driving over rocks, fording a muddy creek, lifting a tire in the sand.
None of those could be abuse.
Jeep would never abuse one of their own vehicles to get us to buy them.

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2Dr
"Why do you have a lift? Is it for off-roading in any way? Off-roading is completely unacceptable."
Response: ‘As a trail-rated vehicle, I only go on official Jeep-endorsed “Badge of Honor” trails rated 5-8.’

(Points to badging under the factory trail-rated badge … pulls out BoH app … starts showing highlight pix like a new proud father … delves into trail stories like we’re drinking buddies 🤩😱)

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Tesla drivers are the old Prius drivers. Still assholes, but now more upscale assholes. Like Prius drivers they drive 10-15 mph over any posted speed limit, and think everyone is beneath them. Thinking they are saving the planet gives them a feeling of moral superiority, when all they really are is assholes who can't follow the the law.
Hmmm....speak for yourself. We are a "working class" household and far from assholes. Never owned a Prius because they are UAF.
Jeep Wrangler JL When the dealership checks to see if youve abused your jeep… IMG_1116

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Hmmm....speak for yourself. We are a "working class" household and far from assholes. Never owned a Prius because they are UAF.
Everyone has a different opinion of working class. My parents would argue they are working class, despite owning an airplane (typically cost less then any of those vehicles) since I was in 8th or 9th grade and my mom hasn’t worked since her late 30’s. I would say they are middle, bordering on upper. By your garage picture, I would say the same about yourself and certainly not working class. Don’t discredit your hard work!

Last edited:

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
Jeep Wrangler JL When the dealership checks to see if youve abused your jeep… IMG_1116
Well around here in New Hampshire, people from Massachusetts come up here for vacation, and they think we are all toothless rednecks who only live to save them while they are on holiday. Many have Teslas. It used to be the Prius crowd, and now it is the Teslas. The ones I see like the prius owners of before drive like assholes.
You say you are far from assholes. There is truth in that statement. The assholes are all in the North East, far from Texas.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Where I live both the Tesla and Prius drivers are of the virtuous elitist club and purposely drive under the speed limits because they are assholes...LOL

I just sold a house the other day that the sellers had installed their Tesla charger in the garage. You would not believe the hoopla they made over whether or not it was staying and they were sure to make a big deal about it being there. My working class buyers didn't care a whit about the charger, it is of no use to them, none of us were impressed.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Abuse... Interesting.
Let's see how the Jeep is marketed on the Jeep.com website

JG.jpg

The above shows driving over rocks, fording a muddy creek, lifting a tire in the sand.
None of those could be abuse.
Jeep would never abuse one of their own vehicles to get us to buy them.
Yeah. That right there shows the hypocrisy between Jeep’s marketing and FCA refusing warranty coverage for doing any of the things Jeep constantly shows in its marketing.
Sponsored