UPDATE ON dealer already claiming that it may not be covered under warranty

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
OK, back on December 22nd I took possession of my 2021 JLU Sport S. In January I had bronze wheels, 35's and a 2.5 inch lift installed at an excellent shop (not dealer installed or Mopar). Now about 5-6 weeks ago the light came on saying that the front drivers side tire has zero tire pressure while I was driving. I stopped, got out checked the tire and it was fully inflated. I took it to an amazing tire place where I have bought my tires for at least 25-30 years and they checked it all out and said there is no problem with tire pressure, in fact all 4 tires and spare are perfect. I was at the dealer getting the oil change and had them check out the pressure issue, obviously it's an issue with the diagnostic computer system, not the tires. They came back to me and first words out of their mouth was, "did you have the lift installed by us?" and "if it wasn't installed by us it is probably not covered by warranty". I am calling BULLSHIT! I feel like they are already trying to avoid having it covered by warranty and have me pay out of pocket before they even try to diagnose why the tire pressure light will not go off even though all the tires are properly inflated. Anyone else have the same problem with the tire pressure light and what do you all think? Did I void the warranty by not going through them for the bronze wheels, 35's and 2.5 lift? (it's a Rubicon lift BTW)
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
They maybe assuming aftermarket wheels, most likely aftermarket TPMS installed (unless they used the originals). If aftermarket was installed with the new wheels and they are the problem, then no that’s not on the factory warranty. If the sensors in the wheels are determined to be the problem, then a diagnostic fee and replacement cost is reasonable (Hopefully if they did that, it fixes it and if not good luck getting a full refund or partial).

Some dealers are great with modifications, others are not. If they are mentioning possibly denying claims before looking based on a quick visual appearance. I would look for another dealer… This dealer will certainly write this up to be denied and aim to have you pay (your rate is higher then what warranty work pays). Advisors work on commission.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Even if they are the factory sensors, someone had to remove them from the originals wheels and reinstall them in the new ones. In that instance I can understand why they wont warranty it. Jeep won’t pay them if they do. Take it back to the shop who installed the lift, wheels and tires and see what they can do.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
They maybe assuming aftermarket wheels, most likely aftermarket TPMS installed (unless they used the originals). If aftermarket was installed with the new wheels and they are the problem, then no that’s not on the factory warranty. If the sensors in the wheels are determined to be the problem, then a diagnostic fee and replacement cost is reasonable (Hopefully if they did that, it fixes it and if not good luck getting a full refund or partial).

Some dealers are great with modifications, others are not. If they are mentioning possibly denying claims before looking based on a quick visual appearance. I would look for another dealer… This dealer will certainly write this up to be denied and aim to have you pay (your rate is higher then what warranty work pays). Advisors work on commission.
^^^ this!

The tire shop might have used Mickey Mouse TPMS sensors on those wheels, in which case it won’t be covered by the warranty.

But the dealer expressing concern about the lift is a sign that it is blatantly looking to skirt responsibility without even lifting a finger.

I’d try the tire shop first...and use a different dealer altogether.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
While I agree with you that it is not likely an issue caused by your aftermarket modifications, I also don't fault the dealer for not covering it under warranty.

A third party shop handled/touched/installed aftermarket/non-OEM parts possibly related to the issue you're reporting. The second the dealer decides to cover it under warranty or investigate it as such, it can be argued that they essentially now assume responsibility for it. Imagine if they did that every time a third party shop installed aftermarket parts which actually caused problems with customer cars. They'd be out of business!

Oh, and I'm guessing the excellent shop stopped being so excellent when you brought this issue to their attention? I know, because I've been there before with previous non-Jeep cars. This is not CDJR specific. Taught me (the hard and VERY expensive way) to not make any significant changes to any vehicle covered by a warranty without being ready for that warranty to be voided as a result. So for now, I'm enjoying stock wheels and stock height 33's on my stock height JLUR. Good luck, but don't hold your breath.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
You need to determine what the cause of the problem is first. I think the highest likelyhood is a bad TPMS sensor. So as mentioned it depends on whether or not your wheels contain the factor sensors or aftermarket versions. In either case it is likely legitimate to deny because either you have aftermarket sensors or factory sensors fitted to aftermarket wheels. You are probably on the hook for a new sensor.

If it is a software issue in the Jeep and all of the factory sensors were used in the wheel/tire swap, and test good, that is probably the only case where warranty work will apply.

So you either pay to swap out a sensor or buy a tazer and stop using the TPMS system but that likely gets you back in hot water if you need warranty work later. They MUST show that what you changed to aftermarket was the cause of the issue to deny the claim according to the Magunson Moss warranty Act.

MudHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon (Bright White)
Rotate the tires. See if the issue moves with the tire or not.

I had a similar issue with my JKU many years back. I rotated the tires and drove for a few days several times, but the driver's side front sensor constantly showed no tire pressure on the dashboard. Took it to a dealer and they wanted to charge me to look at it. I called bullshit because it didn't move with the tire. If it was a TPMS sensor issue in the tire, it should have followed it. I just used my tuner to shut the TPMS off. It wasn't worth arguing with another dealer and I always manually checked my tires anyway since I was airing them down and up so often.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You already took it to the dealer so it's a little late, but swapping the spare on to the location that's not reading will tell you immediately if it's the sensor in the wheel. If that fixes it you know it's just a sensor and can either use that one as your spare and never replace it, or have it replaced by any tire shop for far less than the dealer will charge. Obviously aftermarket wheels (and sensors installed in them) are not covered by the factory warranty.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
OK, back on December 22nd I took possession of my 2021 JLU Sport S. In January I had bronze wheels, 35's and a 2.5 inch lift installed at an excellent shop (not dealer installed or Mopar). Now about 5-6 weeks ago the light came on saying that the front drivers side tire has zero tire pressure while I was driving. I stopped, got out checked the tire and it was fully inflated. I took it to an amazing tire place where I have bought my tires for at least 25-30 years and they checked it all out and said there is no problem with tire pressure, in fact all 4 tires and spare are perfect. I was at the dealer getting the oil change and had them check out the pressure issue, obviously it's an issue with the diagnostic computer system, not the tires. They came back to me and first words out of their mouth was, "did you have the lift installed by us?" and "if it wasn't installed by us it is probably not covered by warranty". I am calling BULLSHIT! I feel like they are already trying to avoid having it covered by warranty and have me pay out of pocket before they even try to diagnose why the tire pressure light will not go off even though all the tires are properly inflated. Anyone else have the same problem with the tire pressure light and what do you all think? Did I void the warranty by not going through them for the bronze wheels, 35's and 2.5 lift? (it's a Rubicon lift BTW)
The same thing happened to me. One of the tires always trips the system and reads weird numbers. They tried to write it off to my life and oversized tires. I fought it and they replaced the module that relays the info. Problem solved for a few weeks. Now it’s doing it again and they won’t even take a look at it. They basically told me I’m no longer welcome to be in the service bay at their dealership. It’s always the same tire so I just reset the system and check it. Sooner or later I’ll replace the sensor in the tire to fix the problem.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The dealer has good cause to be hesitant to commit to you that it would be covered under warranty.

You have modified things that could have an effect on the TPMS. Take responsibility for your modifications.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
The dealer has good cause to be hesitant to commit to you that it would be covered under warranty.

You have modified things that could have an effect on the TPMS. Take responsibility for your modifications.
Modifying tires and lift does not void the sensors or the sensor system. Diagnostics has nothing to do with parts unless said parts are no longer oem. The sensors are oem and so is the system. They will try to tell you your lift puts them out of range which is just as dumb as any other logic that denies the parts to be serviced.

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I had similar issues with the TPMS and have a 2.5” lift, 35’s and after market wheels. The sensors from the OEM wheels were put in the new wheels. The dealer said it was a software problem and fixed it. My dealer, although far from perfect, has never given me any problem regarding warranty issues. They also replaced the steering box without questions. Good luck.
Sponsored