Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
LLumar makes a film called Platinum Extra. It’s a 10mil PPF product designed for extreme use vehicles. Has all the same properties as the regular Platinum - 10 year warranty, self-healing as well as being thicker to handle more impact. Of course, it won’t stop your vehicle from getting dented, but it will help protect against some impacts that standard PPF would not.
11.5mil I have it on my jeep on my fenders
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

those are for JK's only.... JLU is aluminum and magnesium. no magnetic properties for this to stick too

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Suntek and Llumar now have PPF that is ceramic coated right out of the box now. Nothing sticks or stains. Insects come off with a quick spray.

They also have 11.5m thick films for the high impact areas on the jeep for the rear fenders and the door hinges.

waxes and polishing don't protect your paint from pitting and rock damage.
Repainting is a terrible option.
Which is why i had dad’s rubi ppf’d with Suntek reaction & cermaic’d with opticoat!!👍🏼👍🏼

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
In late 2002 I bought a brand new Rubicon and took it on it’s first wheeling trip a month later.
It looked like I used a garden rake to polish it the next day. Wheeling became much more relaxing after I got the first thousand scratches out of the way.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
In late 2002 I bought a brand new Rubicon and took it on it’s first wheeling trip a month later.
It looked like I used a garden rake to polish it the next day. Wheeling became much more relaxing after I got the first thousand scratches out of the way.
My friends wheeling in edmonton say the same thing. It only hurts the first time. LOL

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
How likely is it that the doors and tub will get scratched...within reason? I know if you sideswipe a rock it's going to show. :) I'm talking about driving down overgrown forest trails.

I have a ride planned in about a month. They gave a warning that the trail is much narrower now, especially for the JK/JL. They warned that you will get scratches and some will be permanent. I don't care about my fenders or the hardtop...more of the doors and tub.

I'm thinking about the mek magnet panels, but that's a lot of money to swallow. The other option is Mother's CMX, which people rave about. The last option is to roll the dice and see what happens...

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
How likely is it that the doors and tub will get scratched...within reason? I know if you sideswipe a rock it's going to show. :) I'm talking about driving down overgrown forest trails.

I have a ride planned in about a month. They gave a warning that the trail is much narrower now, especially for the JK/JL. They warned that you will get scratches and some will be permanent. I don't care about my fenders or the hardtop...more of the doors and tub.

I'm thinking about the mek magnet panels, but that's a lot of money to swallow. The other option is Mother's CMX, which people rave about. The last option is to roll the dice and see what happens...
I been in and out of Ocala a lot. I have scratches down the tub and doors. They would easily polish out though. My fenders take most of the beating.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I been in and out of Ocala a lot. I have scratches down the tub and doors. They would easily polish out though. My fenders take most of the beating.
OK thanks! My fenders are already scratched so I don't care about those. They're also items that can be replaced. It's more the doors and tub that I care more about.

I'm pretty good and polishing and fixing clear coats now. :D It sounds like I should save the $600 and just hope for the best. Thank You!

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
OK thanks! My fenders are already scratched so I don't care about those. They're also items that can be replaced. It's more the doors and tub that I care more about.

I'm pretty good and polishing and fixing clear coats now. :D It sounds like I should save the $600 and just hope for the best. Thank You!
If you have a soft top, I suggest going topless if possible. The windows scratch by just breathing on them and the repair is replacement.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have a soft top, I suggest going topless if possible. The windows scratch by just breathing on them and the repair is replacement.
Thanks for the tip. I have a hardtop so it's one less thing to worry about.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
FYI MEK makes "magnetic" panels for JL and JLU. They aren't really magnetic but they keep the same name because of JKs. They have a gel backing which sticks better than the magnetic ones do on the JK (from what I've been told).
JLU – MEK Magnet
(35) MEK Magnet New Armor Features - YouTube
SO, stupid question: can these be put on, the day before a trail ride, and then be taken off again and stored? Or are they a "stick 'em on and they're there until you peel them off" option?
I read their website but can't figure out if it's meant to be removable on the regular or if it's meant to stay

mcgunny

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
I have the MEK Magnet product on my 392 - first, they aren't magnetic, it's a thick plastic product with a very sticky inner layer that adheres to the paint quite well. Only problem I've encountered is that they don't handle wet weather very well - a real problem living up here in the Pacific Northwest (the moisture seeps under the panels and causes them to loose adhesion in the corners).

But they do look good.

Jeep Wrangler JL Magnetic Paint Protection Panels 2C0B793C-BC61-4B41-8933-621BE6424B3B_1_201_a

mcgunny

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
SO, stupid question: can these be put on, the day before a trail ride, and then be taken off again and stored? Or are they a "stick 'em on and they're there until you peel them off" option?
I read their website but can't figure out if it's meant to be removable on the regular or if it's meant to stay
They can be peeled off - but it isn't by any means "easy" - they stick pretty good - I don't think you would damage your paint or anything like that, but I could see damaging the panels (causing creases in the panel) when removing them.
Sponsored