I love my manual Jeep, but...

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
Pardon the click bait title. I just want to commiserate with other 6MT owners. I love it, and would order it again, but there are a few head scratchers.

1. Emergency flashers are directly in front of third gear. How many times am I going to hit that? Time will tell, but the count is rising.
2. Wrist dislocation is required for any window adjustment. If you are going to put the window controls (with the "safety switches") behind the shifter, at least make them auto up/down.

What are your thoughts? Any first-world problems I missed? Any other complaints about a brand new (or nearly new) car that you'd like to share with the internet?
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I can’t speak to the window switches as I had manual windows, but that hazard flasher button is definitely in a bad spot. I was constantly hitting that. Also, who’s idea was it to mate that manual gearbox with a 3.45 axle? 6th was useless from the factory.

OP
OP
TheDukeofLark

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
Yeah, I've heard that ratio is pretty brutal. Someone will probably come in with a bunch of math and tell me they are exactly the same in the end, but I feel like its perfectly mated to the 4.10s and 33s. Even then 6th is still a stretch. It's pretty much an 80mph flat or downhill cruise gear. I'm in 5th daily on the highway, no problem. Most days I never hit 6th. Some part of me thinks those ratios are there because they know most jeep owners, regardless of OE tire size, are going bigger. Rubicon XR now comes with 35s from the factory? Well, I'm getting 37s! 40s! TRACTOR TIRES FTW!!!

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I only hit the flashers once. The windows have auto down, actually took me a bit to discover that oddly they don’t have auto up... I really dislike reverse though and will bitch every chance I get.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yeah, I've heard that ratio is pretty brutal. Someone will probably come in with a bunch of math and tell me they are exactly the same in the end, but I feel like its perfectly mated to the 4.10s and 33s. Even then 6th is still a stretch. It's pretty much an 80mph flat or downhill cruise gear. I'm in 5th daily on the highway, no problem. Most days I never hit 6th. Some part of me thinks those ratios are there because they know most jeep owners, regardless of OE tire size, are going bigger. Rubicon XR now comes with 35s from the factory? Well, I'm getting 37s! 40s! TRACTOR TIRES FTW!!!
I feel personally attacked. lol, I just sold my 6MT for a JLUR XR 🤣

bet I get 37s too

Sponsored

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I haven't had too many issues with flashers, but dang those windows. I hate that my gorilla fists make it impossible to put them down while in gear. Still pretty much hate reverse, especially when towing the boat. Not sure I'll ever like it, I always stall at least twice while backing it into the garage.

Deleted member 59498

I haven't had too many issues with flashers, but dang those windows. I hate that my gorilla fists make it impossible to put them down while in gear. Still pretty much hate reverse, especially when towing the boat. Not sure I'll ever like it, I always stall at least twice while backing it into the garage.
Reverse too high and 1st gives whiplash!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep got the automatic. I got a manual transmission in the Spider: the shifting is short, precise and silky smooth.

The only thing I dislocate is my hip getting in and out... 😫

Jeep Wrangler JL I love my manual Jeep, but... 3FDFB7B2-FA21-476F-A45E-F943C2E2D27E

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I wanted a three pedal Wrangler, and tried hard to like the 6MT during the test drive. It didn't take long to realize that FCA fudged any number of the details, though, ergonomics not being the least among them.

I can't say enough good things about the 850RE in my JLU, but there are still those days when I miss rowing my own.

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
I've had one instance where my drink (tall) was in the front cup holder and it bothered me shifting to or from 4th so I just put my drink in the rear cup holder now. Creeping up on 500 miles here in approx. 10 days. Love it!!

OP
OP
TheDukeofLark

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
My Jeep got the automatic. I got a manual transmission in the Spider: the shifting is short, precise and silky smooth.

The only thing I dislocate is my hip getting in and out... 😫

Jeep Wrangler JL I love my manual Jeep, but... 3FDFB7B2-FA21-476F-A45E-F943C2E2D27E
In case anyone questioned whether or not it was an Abarth...Is there one on the hood, too?

All jokes aside, that looks fun as hell, and (as always IMHO) way better looking than its cousin Mr. Miata.