Sponsored

JeepHER needing advice 😬

Deleted member 71542

She’s plain for now. The only thing I’ve done is get new tires and throw some decals on. But I am FINALLY lifting my 2019 JL next week and I need to buckle down and order some wheels and tires. I’m really wanting 20” wheels on 37s but I don’t know if we should look into regearing or changing a lot to acquire the 37s. I also am so torn on the looks of a Beefy Jeep with 37s or more of a Sleek Jeep with 35s. PSA, I went ahead and ordered a track bar and steering stabilizer because I learned my lesson the first go around with my first lifted Jeep.

Does anyone know if their Jeep also needed regeared once you threw 37s on? PLEASE help!

Also, this Jeep IS my daily driver but on the weekends we take it in the hills and it sees a lot of off road and well beaten-up paths! 😬

This is Jeep #3 for me, and my last JK was on a 2.5” lift and 35s but the death wobble was THE WORST. Can anyone tell me if they’ve experienced it with the lifted JLs?

6FB817AA-83AE-48EF-ADB3-D9BB13958E03.jpeg
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Since you go offroad, I would not install wheels larger than 18". I do not know which powertrain you have, so can not answer about regearing. Personally, I would not install tires larger than 35". You have to be selective when changing wheels, tires and suspension because is it very easy to end up with drivability issues.

You have a nice Jeep. It looks great. You could leave it as is.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I have a ‘20 Sahara on 35s and Mopar lift. No death wobble for me. Currently setting at around 38k miles.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
If you have the auto, drive it for a while before considering a regear. I’ve heard lots of people do fine up to 37” as long as they reprogram the tire size.
If you have a manual, it is a bit inevitable. You can live with it a while, but budget it in for later.
As for DW, the lift install should make sure everything is torqued right. Maybe ask that they check the lower ball joint torque to get ahead of a potential problem. After that, with an alignment properly done you should be good. If DW shows up, there’s really only the upper ball joints left to check. Maybe re-check tie rod ends.

Digiwolf

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
She’s plain for now. The only thing I’ve done is get new tires and throw some decals on. But I am FINALLY lifting my 2019 JL next week and I need to buckle down and order some wheels and tires. I’m really wanting 20” wheels on 37s but I don’t know if we should look into regearing or changing a lot to acquire the 37s. I also am so torn on the looks of a Beefy Jeep with 37s or more of a Sleek Jeep with 35s. PSA, I went ahead and ordered a track bar and steering stabilizer because I learned my lesson the first go around with my first lifted Jeep.

Does anyone know if their Jeep also needed regeared once you threw 37s on? PLEASE help!

Also, this Jeep IS my daily driver but on the weekends we take it in the hills and it sees a lot of off road and well beaten-up paths! 😬

This is Jeep #3 for me, and my last JK was on a 2.5” lift and 35s but the death wobble was THE WORST. Can anyone tell me if they’ve experienced it with the lifted JLs?

Jeep Wrangler JL JeepHER needing advice 😬 6FB817AA-83AE-48EF-ADB3-D9BB13958E03
That's a very nice set of "tires".

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'd recommend that you do a 2-3" simple lift that has good on road performance and zero maintenance (e.g. Mopar, AEV, Synergy, Metalcloak). For Mopar and AEV an adjustable front trackbar (which you already ordered is recommended).

If you go off road, you should stick with 17 or 18 (what you current have on your Sahara) wheels. !7" is best.

For Tires, I suggest you use a small/light 37" tire with excellent road manners and snow rating - e.g. BFG KO2 37x12.5. It is slightly bigger than other 35s and still lighter. It has zero noise on the highway, and is so light and small, that you may get by without any regear given that you have the 8-speed auto.

Good luck.

OP
OP

Deleted member 71542

Since you go offroad, I would not install wheels larger than 18". I do not know which powertrain you have, so can not answer about regearing. Personally, I would not install tires larger than 35". You have to be selective when changing wheels, tires and suspension because is it very easy to end up with drivability issues.

You have a nice Jeep. It looks great. You could leave it as is.
Thank you for the feedback and advice. I have a 4.0T Auto with my new one. My old one was a 6speed V6. This Jeep ain’t nothing compared to my old one when it comes to looks. Which I miss, all of the time :(

71E2EEAE-4B67-4DF4-8547-BF1E9991A9C2.jpeg

OP
OP

Deleted member 71542

I'd recommend that you do a 2-3" simple lift that has good on road performance and zero maintenance (e.g. Mopar, AEV, Synergy, Metalcloak). For Mopar and AEV an adjustable front trackbar (which you already ordered is recommended).

If you go off road, you should stick with 17 or 18 (what you current have on your Sahara) wheels. !7" is best.

For Tires, I suggest you use a small/light 37" tire with excellent road manners and snow rating - e.g. BFG KO2 37x12.5. It is slightly bigger than other 35s and still lighter. It has zero noise on the highway, and is so light and small, that you may get by without any regear given that you have the 8-speed auto.

Good luck.
I’ve ran KO2s for the past four times now when it’s time to buy tires and I was trying to look into another option because I have never looked into any other ones before. Right now my wheels are 18s so I’ll keep 17s in mind while shopping tomorrow!

OP
OP

Deleted member 71542

If you have the auto, drive it for a while before considering a regear. I’ve heard lots of people do fine up to 37” as long as they reprogram the tire size.
If you have a manual, it is a bit inevitable. You can live with it a while, but budget it in for later.
As for DW, the lift install should make sure everything is torqued right. Maybe ask that they check the lower ball joint torque to get ahead of a potential problem. After that, with an alignment properly done you should be good. If DW shows up, there’s really only the upper ball joints left to check. Maybe re-check tie rod ends.
I have the 4.0T Auto but I should’ve mentioned I have an old camper that I will be hauling so I’ll probably have to stick with 35s 🙈

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet looking Sahara!

From one Sahara owner to another, this is what I would do:
  1. Pick a contrasting color for your Jeep. Luckily, anything goes with black: white, bright red, yellow, orange, silver, neon green, are just a few possibilities --I picked white for my Firecracker red
  2. Get some big, bold hood decals in the color you picked above --I got mine from PixelDecals to read SAHARA; you can have them read anything you want
  3. Get some vinyl overlays for the JEEP badges in the same color
  4. Get a 2-inch lift --I went with Mopar; AEV is also quite popular
  5. If you get the Mopar lift, to make sure your Jeep drives as close as stock as possible, get an adjustable track bar (I got YETI), a beefier steering damper (I got Fox 2.0), and a wheel alignment
  6. I'd keep the stock Sahara wheels you have, and get a set of 285/75R18 all-terrain tires. You can get GoodYear Duratrac, Falken Wildpeak AT3W in this size, among others
This is what my Jeep looks like now. I replaced the wheels; I am still torn between these wheels and retaining the Sahara wheels. I like them both.
Jeep Wrangler JL JeepHER needing advice 😬 1630002586694

This is what a fellow forum member's Sahara looks like with Sahara wheels and 285/75R18 Duratracs
Jeep Wrangler JL JeepHER needing advice 😬 1630002264501

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thank you for the feedback and advice. I have a 4.0T Auto with my new one. My old one was a 6speed V6. This Jeep ain’t nothing compared to my old one when it comes to looks. Which I miss, all of the time :(

Great looking JK. Your JL will look better than that very soon with very little in mods.

If you want to try something different than KO2s, in 37s that are also snow rated and much cheaper, try the Kanatis - I have never tried them myself, but people who have seem to like them. If you stay with 35s there are more options with snow rating and good road manners (e.g. Goodyear). Another one to keep an eye out on are the new Goodyear Territories that come in the Bronco Sasquatch.

Just a nit-pick. We all wished we had a 4.0T engine, but sadly you and me have a 2.0T :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 71542

You never know. She may have gotten an

I don't know. She might be running stock, but there also could be some aftermarket augmentation. Hard to tell from just a single picture....

....of her Jeep, guys. Of her Jeep.
Yep, there is more going on under the hood lol my old Jeep was a turd so I opted to put more money under the hood before I went for a lift. 😝

OP
OP

Deleted member 71542

Sweet looking Sahara!

From one Sahara owner to another, this is what I would do:
  1. Pick a contrasting color for your Jeep. Luckily, anything goes with black: white, bright red, yellow, orange, silver, neon green, are just a few possibilities --I picked white for my Firecracker red
  2. Get some big, bold hood decals in the color you picked above --I got mine from PixelDecals to read SAHARA; you can have them read anything you want
  3. Get some vinyl overlays for the JEEP badges in the same color
  4. Get a 2-inch lift --I went with Mopar; AEV is also quite popular
  5. If you get the Mopar lift, to make sure your Jeep drives as close as stock as possible, get an adjustable track bar (I got YETI), a beefier steering damper (I got Fox 2.0), and a wheel alignment
  6. I'd keep the stock Sahara wheels you have, and get a set of 285/75R18 all-terrain tires. You can get GoodYear Duratrac, Falken Wildpeak AT3W in this size, among others
This is what my Jeep looks like now. I replaced the wheels; I am still torn between these wheels and retaining the Sahara wheels. I like them both.

This is what a fellow forum member's Sahara looks like with Sahara wheels and 285/75R18 Duratracs
Sharp looking Jeep! I definitely want to get some black wheels, I think I’ve decided on 18s and 35s. I have a Leopard Jeep decal on my Jeep badges and I plan to take off the Trail Rated ones soon! Hoping to get a new bumper and side steps for Christmas 🤪

E04C710F-8ACD-4DB6-894D-E2BECA376F92.jpeg
Sponsored