Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey Friends,

I left my Rubicon 2.0L Turbo Unlimited in the garage for a month while I went on vacation up north (I know, I know). When I came home I discovered a slippery fluid under the front differential (see attached). Anybody know what this is from or has it happened to you?

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If the fluid has the distinctive scent of gear oil, then I'd check the bolts on the differential cover. Provided they're all properly snug, a new gasket may be in order; this is possibly a warranty item through your dealer.

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
Definitely take it in to the dealer. Could be a leaking seal at the front driveshaft. Or bad gasket on the diff cover. Either way, not right...

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the fluid has the distinctive scent of gear oil, then I'd check the bolts on the differential cover. Provided they're all properly snug, a new gasket may be in order; this is possibly a warranty item through your dealer.
Thanks James! I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow. The funny thing about this is it hasn't leaked since I've been back now for about a week.

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely take it in to the dealer. Could be a leaking seal at the front driveshaft. Or bad gasket on the diff cover. Either way, not right...
Thank Aaron!

Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Thanks James! I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow. The funny thing about this is it hasn't leaked since I've been back now for about a week.
If you drove since you have been back, the diff heated up normally and the seal swelled as it naturally does.

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you drove since you have been back, the diff heated up normally and the seal swelled as it naturally does.
Thanks for the info Somedude! Yes as you said, after I drove it it stopped leaking.

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would make sure you show them the pictures so you don't get a "can't replicate complaint"
Thanks for the feedback Matt! I took it into the dealer this morning and they just replaced the front diff seal because it's still under warranty.

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Aaron, I seen you live in Perrysburg, OH. I used to live in Toledo and my sister was a Maumee police officer.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
It looks like a shart. At least how I imagine a shart would look, I wouldn't know from first hand experience of course.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
It might have been "JL tears" showing how much it missed you! It's important to bond with your ride man!

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It might have been "JL tears" showing how much it missed you! It's important to bond with your ride man!
Noted Charlie though I think I may have bonded too much as my wife just filed for divorce Lol!

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK Jeepsters,

Here's the update to my front differential leak issue... I took my Rubicon into the dealer last week 8/25/2021 and they replaced the front differential cover gasket. Fast forward 5 days and it (or some other component) is leaking in the same spot AGAIN!

Additional things that bother me are as follows:

1.) They used red gasket sealant that stands out like a sore thumb.
2.) The service person left a nice red hand print on the diff cover.
3.) If you look at any Mopar/Jeep publication that shows a picture of the front differential cover it looks smooth, shiny new and spotless. My differential cover looks like somebody poured paint down the front (See attached). Where is the quality and customer care?

Note: It was parked in slightly different spots.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fluid Leak Under Front Differential 2nd Leak.JPG
Sponsored