Jeep caught in heavy rains..

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Well, it finally happened.. With less than a 20% chance for rain, I decided to drive the wifes truck to work & leave the Jeep outside the garage, in the driveway w/ no top..

I have the T'eyes head unit & a powered sub under the drivers seat..

The wife sent me this pic:

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep caught in heavy rains.. sub

Any idea if this thing is fried? I told her not to start it & I would pull the floor plugs when I get home tomorrow morning..
Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
hard to tell how high the water is in the photo, but looks to be past the bottom of the amp housing? It's likely it hasn't touched the pcb. If it was me I would *not power anything on* and get it out and remove the cover and inspect it and get everything dried out. Having had my first similar experience recently, the bigger priority is pulling the carpets and getting the seats dried out quickly. An amp/sub are easily fixable/replaceable. Funk smell can be devastating from what I've read.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Oh man, that sucks. If it were me, I'd disconnect the battery, then remove the whole unit and try to dry it out. With fresh water, there's at least a chance it might dry out functional. I've had a digital camera, full of sensitive electronics, flood before and managed to save it. Pull the whole thing, let it dry completely. If it's completely inundated, you may need to get a little fancy with the drying out. Once it's dry for several days, see if you can get it to power on. And hope for the best.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
the bigger priority is pulling the carpets and getting the seats dried out quickly. An amp/sub are easily fixable/replaceable. Funk smell can be devastating from what I've read.
Totally agree here. I had a leak in an old Mustang in Florida that went unnoticed for a long time. The rear floorboard carpet was completely destroyed and the mold was almost impossible to remove once it started circulating. And mold is the real enemy in a hot, humid climate. That stuff can make you sick if it gets well established and flourishing in your AC system.

OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Thanks.. That's kind of what I was thinking for the amp. Pull it & let it dry for a handful of days..

as for the seats & carpet, with this south Louisiana heat & sun, it should dry out pretty fast tomorrow - provided it's sunny. Lol..

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Thanks.. That's kind of what I was thinking for the amp. Pull it & let it dry for a handful of days..

as for the seats & carpet, with this south Louisiana heat & sun, it should dry out pretty fast tomorrow - provided it's sunny. Lol..
That's good news. When mine got hit with rain a few weeks ago it was the beginning of several days of rain which meant no sun-drying

The carpets are *really* easy to remove and there are drain plugs underneath and a lot of water gets trapped between the carpets and the tub. Even if you have good weather inbound, I'd recommend spending the ~half hour removing them and the few plugs underneath them. I think you'll be surprised how much water is under there.

OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
That's good news. When mine got hit with rain a few weeks ago it was the beginning of several days of rain which meant no sun-drying

The carpets are *really* easy to remove and there are drain plugs underneath and a lot of water gets trapped between the carpets and the tub. Even if you have good weather inbound, I'd recommend spending the ~half hour removing them and the few plugs underneath them. I think you'll be surprised how much water is under there.

Yeah, I'll definitely be removing the plugs!!

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I used to work at IBM on the desktop call center. I took multiple calls from users who had their computers thrown into a pool (it was always men, so their must be a good story there). In all cases, if they did not power them on until they were fully dry, they worked after a few days …

Today’s electronics are even better sealed than that, so as long as it did not get powered when wet, you should be good.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Yeah, I'll definitely be removing the plugs!!

Pulling the plugs only takes a few minutes. Don't forget the one in the jack storage area, there's a drain plug back there too. Not the cubby. Probably want to dry out/regrease the jack and tools as well.

If there's a lot of dirt and schmutz in that water, (it looks it) look up how to clean electronics with alcohol.

It will dry faster, and prevent all the gunk from drying up and being left behind as residue and short circuits.

Sponsored

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
With these JL's integrated into the BCM w/ radio. I wouldn't put too much to chance on the amp to risk having a gremlin later down the road. I would just buy a whole new amp. In fact I have an amp that i thought i was going to use for subs but ended up repairing the one i had So if it would meet your needs id be happy to part with it.

With the drying part of it, i highly recommend removing the board completely from the unit. Letting it dry then clean with alcohol (both board and internal metal housing) then reapply all film isolaters and thermal compound. Cuz if any of that corrodes, i wouldn't leave it to chance on blowing something proprietary to the actual vehicle.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I got caught too this weekend… nothing to do but smile and keep driving. I pulled the drain plugs after arriving home to dump an inch of water… they’ll be out the next time! So worth it because I took my brother and sister-in-law on their first ever wheelin trip.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep caught in heavy rains.. D5D4AD73-5023-431F-99C2-D7E9D1813593

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Possibly will be OK as long as no attempt was made to power it up and its dried completely.
Years ago when I worked as an ASE mechanic a co-worker was frustrated with the shop desktop computer and took matters in his own hands. He crammed a running water hose into it and let it flood it for a while. I knew that computer was garbage. Next day the shop manager tasked me to fix it since he knew I had a degree in computer science. I disassembled it and dried it out, restored it from the partition. Damn thing worked perfectly for years afterwards lol.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Pull all the wet electronics that you would like to bring back to life.
Go to Costco and buy the big 20lb bags of rice and big tubs, soak all that shit in the rice filled tubs.
Or just go to the Cay Toys store and start over.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Pull all the wet electronics that you would like to bring back to life.
Go to Costco and buy the big 20lb bags of rice and big tubs, soak all that shit in the rice filled tubs.
Or just go to the Cay Toys store and start over.
... and maybe fix the water leak.
Sponsored