OP
char05

char05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Clubs

What rubicon transmission? you mean rubicon suspension?. the willys has rubicon shocks. If you are not offroading the sport S is fine. But do consider the LSD option, it gives you better tires, a dana 44 rear axle and well, the LSD. For only $500 it is a steal. If in the future you decide to improve its offroad capabilities to willys like, thats really easy since youll already have the LSD.
Yeah I'm mostly considering it for the LSD and my apologies about the rubicon transmission thing. Still learning!
Sponsored

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Wow! First, thank you all for the great welcoming and excellent feedback. I learned a lot but have more questions!

Willy vs Sport S

I got a ton of suggestions for the Willy but I don't plan to do any real "off-roading". I just plan to daily drive it and go overlanding on the weekends. Would you guys STILL recommend the Willy (even the Willy Sport) over the Sport S for the LSD/Rubicon transmission or should I be ok with the Sport S being that I'm not doing anything hardcore for now?

Tow Package

Thanks guys!
If you do decide on the Willys which I would recommend, it is pronounced Willis not Willie.It it is named after John North Willys of the Willys-Overland Company that made the original Jeeps. It is often mispronounced, so much so that Chrysler got so tired of correcting people and explaining it that they said we are just going to let our people say it wrong.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2...is-name-willis-local-jeep-historian-says.html

OP
OP
char05

char05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Clubs

If you do decide on the Willys which I would recommend, it is pronounced Willis not Willie.It it is named after John North Willys of the Willys-Overland Company that made the original Jeeps. It is often mispronounced, so much so that Chrysler got so tired of correcting people and explaining it that they said we are just going to let our people say it wrong.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2...is-name-willis-local-jeep-historian-says.html
Thank you for the short history lesson and proper pronunciation! I'll look into this more.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hey guys, I'm new to the community and the Jeep life. I wanted to ask some questions to validate what I've learned from reading past threads.

I'm looking to buy a 2021 Jeep Wrangler with the goal of it being my daily and weekend camping vehicle. Originally I was looking to get the one sky touch but settled down into choosing a 3 piece hard top because it made more sense financially and for all the roof rack mods (campers and etc).

Wrangler Talk

So here's what I'm thinking in terms of what I want:

• Jeep Wrangler Sport S (because it comes with the upgraded 7" infotainment and allows for more upgrades than the standard Sport)
  • 4 Door (is that called unlimited?)
  • 3 Piece Hard Top
  • Trailer Tow Group (for the additional aux switches and to facilitate future mods/towing)
  • Automatic with the V6 etorque engine
Questions

From what I hear the v6 eTorque is superior to the factory default v6 in the Jeeps since it's a lot smoother. is it as reliable?
Is the LED Headlamp/Fog Lamp upgrade worth purchasing or would you guys recommend just getting an aftermarket kit for $200-500?
I'd be mostly driving this in the city. Do you guys recommend the safety group? The Advanced safety seems unnecessary but thoughts on this would be great.

The biggest question:

This seems like a pretty standard Jeep. Should I wait for a similar spec to come across a dealers lot pre-built and try to get a deal on it or should I custom order it with a Jeep dealership? I don't mind going out of state to pick it up. I saw you guys highly recommending Gupton and that's something I might look into since South Florida dealerships are insanely expensive.

Camping

I'd like to eventually use the Jeep to go off the grid with my pup on the weekends. I've seen tons of these youtubers set up their Jeep/camp in the middle of nowhere and it looks amazing.

Question is, how do you know where you can set up? Assuming it's not private property how would I know it's safe to sleep there overnight. Maybe there's a policy/booklet/website for this stuff that you guys can recommend.

Thank you! Your posts have been really helpful and I'm hoping to meet some cool people within the community.
My two cents.

The Sport S is still very capable off road. Although you don't think you'll be doing heavy duty off roading now, once you're comfortable in your Jeep and know it well you will consider terrain that is inconceivable to you now. Once you get the itch, you'll scratch it. I'd recommend going one step up from what you think you want now. The Willys.

Test drive the 2.0 turbo. Don't think that 6cyl is guaranteed better than 4cyl. On paper they're almost identical. Practically speaking, they have two different attitudes. The 4cyl is "zippier" and could be better for city driving. The 6cyl is smoother steadier power. See which one suits you better. You might be surprised. The 2.0t is far better at altitude but you don't have that in FL.

Get the LED package. Far better lighting. Their only downside is that they don't get warm enough to melt snow that accumulates in the headlights. Again, not a problem in FL.

Tow package is great to have for beefier alternator and aux switches alone. Even if you don't plan on towing anything, it's available. Don't forget about trailer hitch accessories like bike racks.

I have advanced safety. I really like it but it loses a lot of its usefulness on a manual. It's great for crowded highways.

Camping.
The image of the Jeep/camp in the middle of nowhere is called Dispersed Camping. There are many sites to look at but that's the term you should search for. You'll find tons of information online so I won't get into that. You're a bit limited as to where you can dispersed camp in FL but out west there is no shortage. For example, over 70% of Utah is open to dispersed camping. If you can, grab a Jeep and take a long road trip out west. It will be an experience you will fondly remember for the rest of your life.

In regard to safety, the primary risk is the wilderness itself and the difficulty of getting assistance. People generally aren't a problem, especially if you get away from the riff-raff and go deeper off road than a POS Corolla can go. The dispersed camping sites will be the best source of information about what to do and bring.

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
  • Jeep Wrangler Sport S (because it comes with the upgraded 7" infotainment and allows for more upgrades than the standard Sport)
  • 4 Door (is that called unlimited?)
  • 3 Piece Hard Top
  • Trailer Tow Group (for the additional aux switches and to facilitate future mods/towing)
  • Automatic with the V6 etorque engine
Sounds like the perfect build accept for the hard top. If can see no benefit to having a hardtop unless theft/break-in is an issue, especially since you live in FL. Beauty of a softtop is you can put it or or down in 5 min max, which allows you to adapt to fast changing weather conditions.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Test drive the 2.0 turbo. Don't think that 6cyl is guaranteed better than 4cyl. On paper they're almost identical. Practically speaking, they have two different attitudes. The 4cyl is "zippier" and could be better for city driving. The 6cyl is smoother steadier power. See which one suits you better. You might be surprised. The 2.0t is far better at altitude but you don't have that in FL.
Second this - I'd HIGHLY recommend you put your foot on the pedal of both engines before you buy. I came from a 4.6L Chevy V8, and had a *really* hard time wrapping my head around going down to a 4-cyl. All the threads, however, said it was amazing, so I went and test drove both it and the v6.

The V6 is nice, but more similar to my V8 in terms of a bit slower power curve (in my opinion). It felt a bit like driving my 15-year-old pickup, which...I didn't really want in a new car. The 2.0L (which is what I bought) is peppy as hell. Even just on the test drive I noticed the difference in shift points, passing power, etc. Even when I'm at 70mph on the freeway, it has no trouble jumping up to 80 if I need to zip by someone, and it handled just fine in the offroad park, as well.

Sounds like the perfect build accept for the hard top. If can see no benefit to having a hardtop unless theft/break-in is an issue, especially since you live in FL. Beauty of a softtop is you can put it or or down in 5 min max, which allows you to adapt to fast changing weather conditions.
If you think you'll ever want a hard top, get it from the factory. Doing so includes the wiring/tubing for the rear windshield wiper. If you get a soft top only from the factory, they don't install it, and you'll have to put it in if/when you get a hard top.

I would, however, highly, highly, highly recommend budgeting for the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtops. You can get it from the factory now (might even be an order option) and it's a total no-brainer. It replaces the Freedom Panels for a little bitty soft top that covers just the front seats. It's so ridiculously convenient, and doesn't add too much road noise either. Plus then you can leave those bulky Freedom Panels at home in storage where they belong.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
You've got some great advice already! Here's my 2cts.

LED Package - Yes
Tow Package/Aux Switches - Yes
Willys for the Limited Slip...it's a Jeep and you traction - Yes
Test drive the 2.0L. It will surprise you...totally transforms the Wrangler - Big Yes

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new Jeep✌🏻

-Steven

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
As a relatively new Willys owner I've discovered a few things that might be of some use to you.

The Willys package I purchased has the 2.0L I4 turbo, 8 spd auto, 8.4N head unit & steering wheel controls, USB & AUX media center hub, rear camera & sensors, the single top package with Freedom panels, Dana M186/M220 F/R differentials, Command-Trac, Brake Lock Differentials (BLD), the LED package, skid plates for the trans-fuel tank-Xfr case, configurable instrument display and the list goes on. My point is that the Willys is very off-road capable and is a great option package with quite a few features that you get for little additional money over a bare Sport package.

Don't overlook the Turbo I4. It actually makes more HP & torque at lower RPMs than the V-6. It also mates up very well with the 8 spd trans with spot on shifts for cruising or those occasional WOT blasts.

LED package - Yes! Great light package front and rear. The reverse lights could use some upgrading however. The light is OK but I'm used to a bit more when backing.

BLD differentials. Your stock differentials are open units. While BLD is not a replacement for a full locking differential such as you would find on a Rubicon or aftermarket modification, BLD is part of Jeep’s brake traction control system that controls wheel speed side to side across a driven axle. Fully locking differentials require the transfer case be in 4-Lo. The BLD feature is an automatic process and is active when in 4H or 4L modes. When it senses one wheel spinning and the other not, it automatically applies the brake to the spinning wheel. This means that more torque is now required in order to get the “braked” wheel to spin. It's a great alternative to full locking differentials and should be more than adequate for most uses unless you come across that boulder field you just can't resist. :LOL:

Do you buy now or order? Well, inventory is way down as is the availability of some packages. There are a few Jeeps on lots but you may find yourself picking through the leftovers. Ordering is preferable but at this time the order portals are down pending 2022 model year availability. Receiving your order may take some time due to order backlog & parts availability. But an order does help you get exactly what you want within the option package selections available.

Camping is fun. Knowing where you want to go, how to get there and where you are while on the trail requires some tools. I use onX, a GPS based mapping tool, to find trails, map trails and download the trail information to my tablet. Coupled with a Garmin Inreach Mini satellite unit helps me find my way. You can also use the app on your cellular phone.

Good luck with your choices and I hope you get to start Jeeping soon!

Jeep Wrangler JL Before I Buy My Jeep Questions Hazman Render 01

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The V6 is nice, but more similar to my V8 in terms of a bit slower power curve (in my opinion). It felt a bit like driving my 15-year-old pickup, which...I didn't really want in a new car. The 2.0L (which is what I bought) is peppy as hell. Even just on the test drive I noticed the difference in shift points, passing power, etc. Even when I'm at 70mph on the freeway, it has no trouble jumping up to 80 if I need to zip by someone, and it handled just fine in the offroad park, as well.
Exactly. I went in thinking the 3.6 was a no-brainer. But I'm at 5-11k altitude. I couldn't believe how much more power the 2.0t had up there. And it's fast (by Jeep standards). I came out realizing the 2.0t was the no-brainer for me and the 6cyl was a complete dud.

Plus you have the added bonus of saying your Jeep has the same engine as a Masarati. (It's true, the 2.0t is in 2021 Maserati hybrids.)

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

Thats actually true for quite a few things. I don't know how true it is but I once read that Butterflies were originally called "Flutterbye's and changed over the centuries.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Thats actually true for quite a few things. I don't know how true it is but I once read that Butterflies were originally called "Flutterbye's and changed over the centuries.
I can see where that could be true. It’s probably happened more than we could imagine.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Flutterbyes...I love that!

-Steven

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Dude this is awesome! Thanks for the insight. Got me pumped over here haha. What has been some of your favorite places in FL and surrounding states to camp? Looking for some places to get started with
Been quite a few years since I camped in the area, to be honest. I left about nine years ago, before I bought my JK. And save for a short few-month stint last year that didn't give me any chance to hit the Jeep trails, I haven't been back much. So I can't be too much help there, unfortunately.

I hit a lot of state parks in the pre-Jeep days and places I got to via kayak. Wekiwa, Bahia Honda, Hontoon Island, various spoil islands in the Indian River, etc. (Man, I really miss those parts of Florida.) None of it would really fit the 'overlanding' thing that is more common out West. But I'd check out the local Florida forums on here for the best Jeep-accessible sites. They probably have way more up to date info to offer.

Check out Tennessee, too. I have a friend up there who is constantly posting pics of his amazing Jeep trips.

And if you ever come out West, I've got a ton of more current recommendations!

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Just for clarity: eTorque must be viewed as 2018-2020 and 2021 and after. The 2018-2020 implementation used a second Lead Acid battery that was not totally up to the task. In 2021 a 40 V Lithium battery replaced the "motorcycle" Lead Acid unit and the alternator was replaced with a generator. This configuration is the BSG (Belt-driven Starter Generator) The 2021 implementation provides and additional 70 Ft/Lbs of torque to the engine during the first half rotation of the tires. This is possible because the 40V Lithium battery powers the generator making it a motor which transmits the power via the belt connected to the main crank pulley. All electronics are powered off the 40V battery and there is regenerative braking which allows additional "drag" when slowing and puts some charge into the 40V battery. The 8 speed transmission uses the 40V battery to power the up and down shift synchronization which is why so many people talk about how smoothly the 8 speed transmission shifts. This "mild hybrid" technology is well proven and is reliable. My opinion is that overall it will be no more expensive to maintain than a Pentastar 3.6L without eTorque.

This is incorrect. You've confused ESS with eTorque.

2018-2020 V6s had regular ESS with the motorcycle battery.

2021 V6s got eTorque, which is the mild hybrid you mention, but also still has ESS, running off the 40V.

2018-2020 2.0T 4-cylinder engines had eTorque and ESS.

Everything had/has ESS.

@char05 Make sure to get a white jeep for the dog in those Florida summers! (And Spring, Autumn, and Winter)
Sponsored