Sponsored

2DR JL Very Bad News

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
That thread links back to the issue thread on these forums. None of the posts there have any new cases or info to add.
The only real truth is wait and watch. Thanks for the update.
Sponsored

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
Fuck it, I just rented a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth and fell completely in love for 300 miles. I'll go buy one and buy a 2020 JL once they're sorted.
it's a great car. that's my daily driver that one guy. love it. only caution is drive it like it's a motorcycle because PEOPLE DON'T SEE YOU. i've been in two accidents already and that's the prime directive behind which my wife has authorized my JL purchase as a DD. Not selling the abarth. it's a sweet ride. look into tuning it with eurocompulsion for a nice boost up to 200 to 220 hp too.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
it's a great car. that's my daily driver that one guy. love it. only caution is drive it like it's a motorcycle because PEOPLE DON'T SEE YOU. i've been in two accidents already and that's the prime directive behind which my wife has authorized my JL purchase as a DD. Not selling the abarth. it's a sweet ride. look into tuning it with eurocompulsion for a nice boost up to 200 to 220 hp too.
How many miles you got on it? Any problems?

I highly like that Mazda does the real engineering and manufacturing, as I would never buy a "real" Fiat, because I like reliability, which the 500 isn't known for!

It almost, somehow, appears to be a "better" 4th gen/ND Miata, as it has better styling, a well-engineered chassis, and DOESN'T have horrible 6 speed manual of the ND.

I wonder how much of a PITA parts and service would be, though. The 1.4 appearssss reliable.

Last edited:

jeepman18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade Trailhawk. Waiting on JL Rubicon 2.0L

I highly like that Mazda does the real engineering and manufacturing, as I would never buy a "real" Fiat, because I like reliability, which the 500 isn't known for!

It almost, somehow, appears to be a "better" 4th gen/ND Miata, as it has better styling, a well-engineered chassis, and DOESN'T have horrible 6 speed manual of the NC.

I wonder how much of a PITA parts and service would be, though. The 1.4 appearssss reliable.

My 2c. I had a 124 stick shift for a few months, was great. Brother had a 1.4T dart with a lightweight flywheel, boost controller, BOV and ECU. Drove it HARD every single shift. Bouncing off the rev limiter a few times each drive. Sold it with 80,000 miles, never skipped a beat.

That thing was quick too. Stayed right with V8 mustangs / chargers etc.

Sponsored

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
I'm at 20k. very little if any trouble. depending on your local fiat dealer, you may be less impressed by their service and support, even for things like oil changes. but the car is much more reliable so far and fewer rattles and squeaks than my 500 abarth. has been my favorite car i've owned, and i sold a camaro SS2 400+ hp to get it. no regrets. what jeepman said is right on. quick little car and handles the curvies very well. RWD so you can slide her around a corner but she recovers quickly. they are an absolute joyride and i can't believe they only sell 3K a year. far better than the mazdas i think and more fun and top end pricing is more reasonable. only thing negative i can say is that it's not a jeep. and i want my JL

saammm

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and 2018 JL Wrangler
I just talked to jeep this morning. I ordered a 2dr in January as well. They say production will begin for my car in mid-May because i have gotten the premium sunrider top.

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
Hey all. Been watching this thread closely since January, but never posted before. I ordered a 2DR JL 1st week of January, and like many of you have been wondering about when it’s going to be delivered. I have been looking forward to getting this jeep for years, I wanted it just as badly as anyone else. I went to the dealership this week and basically said if I don’t get answers I want to cancel the order. A few hours later I got a call from my dealership who spoke to their rep, who had connection with someone who works at the plant. Needless to say I cancelled my order.
No BS here. But do not expect your 2DR to arrive until OCTOBER. They will not start building until August. I can’t get into much more details, but you heard it here first. Never posted before, but felt like this should be known to everyone. People can call me out or whatever, but this is what I heard from a very legitimate source. Goodluck to all.
Hey not for nothing, but my dealer sent me a screenshot of my order status a few weeks ago for my Saharah and I noticed 2 Sports on the list that were ordered last December and January. I was worried they did not have an estimated ship date meaning mine was still going to be months away. My dealer told me “don’t worry those are two doors and they are not even making those now that’s why they are taking so long”. I don’t know about October, but there could be something to this. This is a bad pic but if you zoom in you can see them.

6256C541-1A52-47F3-B444-CB98EB84199C.jpeg

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR

It almost, somehow, appears to be a "better" 4th gen/ND Miata, as it has better styling, a well-engineered chassis, and DOESN'T have horrible 6 speed manual of the ND.

With regards to Mazda quality, that is part of the reason why I am getting RID of my 2016. Been in the shop 6 times in about three years. 2 of those issues due to new gen 1st year, the rest were not related to 1st year issues. All total those repairs would have cost me around.... 9k? I think.

Fun car though!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
With regards to Mazda quality, that is part of the reason why I am getting RID of my 2016. Been in the shop 6 times in about three years. 2 of those issues due to new gen 1st year, the rest were not related to 1st year issues. All total those repairs would have cost me around.... 9k? I think.

Fun car though!
damn, what was the repair list?

the only major ND miata issue I'm aware of is the manual transmission apparently made of glass.

Sponsored

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
damn, what was the repair list?

the only major ND miata issue I'm aware of is the manual transmission apparently made of glass.
Let's see.....

Headlights (Full assembly) vibrated and needed to be replaced
Two times for the soft top
Brake Calipers had to be replaced
Forward facing camera died, causing my entire dash to light up like a Christmas tree
Check Engine at 14k miles. Cause was carbon buildup thanks to Direct Injection.

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
Fuck it, I just rented a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth and fell completely in love for 300 miles. I'll go buy one and buy a 2020 JL once they're sorted.
Theres the spirit! I've decided to hang on to my BMW convertible for the summer and buy a 2019 JL in the Fall (if they are being produced by then)!

FNP73

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I’m reading a lot of dickish comments in this thread. The guy was sharing his bad experience. While I don’t think I would have just canceled my order before checking into a truly reliable source, what’s it to you if he did? I preordered and received my 4-door JLUR in 38 days. It was shit luck. If someone who’s Jeep’s production has been held up hears this or if they read about a another person’s poor preorder experience and it brings out so much anger or anxiety that there’s a need to mock and be nasty, perhaps they should stop reading the forum...

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I’m reading a lot of dickish comments in this thread. The guy was sharing his bad experience. While I don’t think I would have just canceled my order before checking into a truly reliable source, what’s it to you if he did? I preordered and received my 4-door JLUR in 38 days. It was shit luck. If someone who’s Jeep’s production has been held up hears this or if they read about a another person’s poor preorder experience and it brings out so much anger or anxiety that there’s a need to mock and be nasty, perhaps the should stop reading the forum...
For me it's not an issue of hearing bad news or whatever. Creating a thread with this title and stating "But do not expect your 2DR to arrive until OCTOBER. They will not start building until August. I can’t get into much more details, but you heard it here first." comes across as stating pure fact for everyone, when all he had to go on was third or fourth hand information.

SeanPolarBear

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta
Hey all. Been watching this thread closely since January, but never posted before. I ordered a 2DR JL 1st week of January, and like many of you have been wondering about when it’s going to be delivered. I have been looking forward to getting this jeep for years, I wanted it just as badly as anyone else. I went to the dealership this week and basically said if I don’t get answers I want to cancel the order. A few hours later I got a call from my dealership who spoke to their rep, who had connection with someone who works at the plant. Needless to say I cancelled my order.
No BS here. But do not expect your 2DR to arrive until OCTOBER. They will not start building until August. I can’t get into much more details, but you heard it here first. Never posted before, but felt like this should be known to everyone. People can call me out or whatever, but this is what I heard from a very legitimate source. Goodluck to all.
I just cancelled my 2DR sport and got a 4DR. (Needed a car ASAP, and ordered mine in March. Was told 5 to 6 weeks....)
Sponsored