is $55k otd a good price for a JL?

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
hey! this is my first jeep and i found one i liked at a dealer 40mins from me (i’m in florida). i test drove the car and enjoyed driving it. msrp is $51k and after some haggling we came to $55k flat otd. i put a small deposit but i just want to make sure i’m not getting taken for a ride. i like the color and the leather seats, and my non negotiables are manual and big screen. i wish it had a proximity door sensor but it’s also just another thing to get dirty on the trail.

is $55k okay for this car or should i try to get them down more or just find another car? i’ve been searching and manuals are out there + soon the ‘22s will be coming.

thanks!

EDIT 8/22: got them down to $54,500. they made it clear they would walk at anything less. i’ll take delivery sometime next week.
Jeep Wrangler JL is $55k otd a good price for a JL? BBFFA92D-6F2F-4CEC-9DAF-8F80A4DA5814
Jeep Wrangler JL is $55k otd a good price for a JL? 535D4BF6-76D8-4B43-BF77-2752D0F8FCB4
Jeep Wrangler JL is $55k otd a good price for a JL? 12523B67-44AE-4837-89F9-AA7933ACC3AF
Sponsored

Last edited:

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
Sounds like your paying MSRP +taxes +dealer fees. The way the market is right now. That’s not 2 bad for it being on the lot. I hear a lot of dealerships charging over sticker. Now U can order your Jeep & save thousands. But your gonna have to wait several months. Depends how bad u want it & how soon. U can try haggling with them a bit more to the point they let u walk, then u kinda know u reached your final price point with them, at that point either pull the trigger or walk. Beautiful Rubi by the way, I love Sarge. I would have purchased that or my Sting grey. Good luck!

OP
OP

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
yes. the original price they wanted was over $56k. i got them down to $55k but i’m feeling like i maybe should have held out more. they originally had $1800 markup on it.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
hey! this is my first jeep and i found one i liked at a dealer 40mins from me (i’m in florida). i test drove the car and enjoyed driving it. msrp is $51k and after some haggling we came to $55k flat otd. i put a small deposit but i just want to make sure i’m not getting taken for a ride. i like the color and the leather seats, and my non negotiables are manual and big screen. i wish it had a proximity door sensor but it’s also just another thing to get dirty on the trail.

is $55k okay for this car or should i try to get them down more or just find another car? i’ve been searching and manuals are out there + soon the ‘22s will be coming.

thanks!
Jeep Wrangler JL is $55k otd a good price for a JL? 12523B67-44AE-4837-89F9-AA7933ACC3AF
For a Jeep on the lot that’s not terrible.
There are dealers selling for 6-8% under invoice which would save thousands, but that will take a few months for a custom order and if you’re in Florida picking up in another state.
Completely up to you if that’s worth the trouble for $5-6k.
Given the shortage of new vehicles I doubt your dealer will budge much more on price - given the mead time on a new one they don’t have too. Someone else will buy it for msrp

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
yes. the original price they wanted was over $56k. i got them down to $55k but i’m feeling like i maybe should have held out more. they originally had $1800 markup on it.
well $51k + 7% sales tax upfront if your financing or paying cash = $54,570 + dealer fees. Again with this market right now. I have to say for a Rubi on the lot in a prime color choice, not 2 bad. Try beating them up for another $1500 maybe settle on $1k less.

Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Now is a really rough time to buy a vehicle. Our local dealers are at MSRP + TTL.

I ordered from Gupton. $38K MSRP.
I gave $34K + $500 doc + TTL

That said, I've waited 9+ weeks now and most likely 3 or 4 more.

If you are OK with the deal, that's what counts.

Good luck

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

thanks!
If it checks all or most of your boxes, I’d buy it for that price. It depends on how long you want to wait. But I guarantee it won’t be there very long if you don’t buy it. That’s a sweet rig.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
I paid $41,305 for mine, sticker was $47,385 (JLR, 3.6L, manual, cloth seats, 8.4 in screen w/ premium audio, LED group, tow package, cold weather group, unpainted hard top, plastic bumpers). Yours has steel bumpers, and color-matched fenders and hard top (total of $4,250). That dealer mark up is a bugger!

But, I did order mine and had to wait 3 months for it to come in. I also happened to have a recommended dealer near me who was known to offer a solid discount.

I am not trying to talk you out of the Jeep you found...just letting you know what I paid. Times change quickly these days, and the deal I got a few months ago I might not be able to get now.

Jeep Wrangler JL is $55k otd a good price for a JL? real Jeep 3

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Sweet ride! I certainly wouldn't say you're getting a terrible deal. That said, why not order and get exactly what you want? Yes, you'll have to wait but there are dealers here on the forums doing 5% or more off invoice. That's a pretty significant savings if you're willing to wait.

Sponsored

OP
OP

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
Sweet ride! I certainly wouldn't say you're getting a terrible deal. That said, why not order and get exactly what you want? Yes, you'll have to wait but there are dealers here on the forums doing 5% or more off invoice. That's a pretty significant savings if you're willing to wait.
how is jeep doing on their order delivery times these days?

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392

thanks!
In FL, that's a great price for now. If it's the one you want, I'd buy it. Finding a Rubi for sale is hard enough, let alone with the stick.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
how is jeep doing on their order delivery times these days?
Like @N8213 said, all over the map. Just some non-data driven, arm chair observation from me though: my impression is that high volume dealers seem to be getting their orders more quickly.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE

thanks!
If you absolutely need a car now, this seems like par for the course at the moment - just know that you’re buying in the middle of a global shortage of chips and that’s causing a severe lack of inventory, driving prices way up.

If you order one, you can secure ~6% below invoice which in a $55k Jeep would be something like ~$5000-6000 less depending on the spec.

Keep in mind that as chip shortages stabilize, the auto market is likely to cool and you will have spent that much more for a car that is no longer worth that amount.

So it may be par for the course right now, but right now is not a great time to buy unless you have money to burn.

Ordering will insulate you from the market conditions but take 8-10 weeks and runs the risk of getting delayed further due to those chip shortages,
Sponsored