Sponsored

Safety Group instead of Advanced Safety Group?

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I ordered the ASG on my 21 JLUR. I have it on my 20 Grand Cherokee and really love the adaptive cruise in traffic (live in the DC metro area) and the forward collision has also been a nice feature. It hasn’t had any false alerts and actually saved me from a collision once.

I was driving in traffic at about 45mph and am generally very observant. I was following directions on Waze and I glanced down to see the next turn and the vehicle in front of me happened to brake at the same time for a squirrel. Fcw bleeped and braked quicker than if I was to notice the slow down and brake. It was close but there was no incident.

So while people on here say how observant they are and they pay attention, accidents happen at that split second you look away. And everyone does it, whether to glance down at your speed, look at the name of a road coming up, following nav instructions, to itch an eye, etc. This is when adaptive cruise, forward collision warning, etc. are truly useful.

If you can afford it, get it, and if you find it’s too intrusive, dial it back to alerts only. It may just save you or someone else on the road.
I agree 100%. I have both on my Wrangler, and love it. I would guess I use Adaptive Cruise about 80%-90% of my driving with it. Everyone says they don't want something driving for them, or how fast of reflexes they have. It's called an "accident" for a reason. I'm I firm believer in anything that could save my or my family lives.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My issue is more general and less specific to adaptive cruise control: it is that as technology takes over an increasing number of basic functions, we become complacent, lazy, and often times even rude.

For instance, a growing number of drivers seem incapable of lowering their high beams in urban traffic. They drive around blinding everyone, completely oblivious to their stupidity. Years ago this was considered plain rude; today we just squint and live with it.

As people grow accustomed to having technology do everything for them, they become less involved in the basic act of driving.

I realize technology advancement can’t be stopped. I just don’t think in this case it is a very healthy trend.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Ordered both safety packages on new JL hopefully being built :) Works great on my current JL. No issues.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
My inbound 392 has it. I probably wouldn't have ordered it if given the chance but after reading about it, I think it's pretty useful.

I plan on setting mine to my preferences and can see it being useful for long haul road trips.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Echo everything here - they're handy to have.

HOWEVER, both the front alerts and the adaptive cruise are a little rough, IMO. They could use a few software updates to address the sensitivity.

I've had a few false starts of the front braking, both times when someone is turning off a road into a parking lot or something and I'm coming up behind them. *I* know that they'll turn in before I get to them, but apparently I cut it a little closer than the Jeep is comfortable with, cause I get a 1-2 second brake slam. Not enough to send me skidding out of control, but enough to freak me out unnecessarily.

The adaptive cruise is amazing, but it has a delay in detecting people moving in and out of YOUR lane in front of you. Again, this can lead to abrupt braking unnecessarily. More annoying than dangerous, really. It also takes *forever* to recognize when someone in front of you is taking an off-ramp.

Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I have the ASG.
All techs need to be watched over, any sudden braking is probably human related as the driver should know when a tech should be deployed.
ACC has 4 length settings,I only feel comfortable on the 4 length setting and if I'm in traffic with lots of merging I'll turn ACC off.
Rear proximity cross path is the best feature of them all.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

HOWEVER, both the front alerts and the adaptive cruise are a little rough, IMO. They could use a few software updates to address the sensitivity.

I've had a few false starts of the front braking, both times when someone is turning off a road into a parking lot or something and I'm coming up behind them. *I* know that they'll turn in before I get to them, but apparently I cut it a little closer than the Jeep is comfortable with, cause I get a 1-2 second brake slam. Not enough to send me skidding out of control, but enough to freak me out unnecessarily.

The adaptive cruise is amazing, but it has a delay in detecting people moving in and out of YOUR lane in front of you. Again, this can lead to abrupt braking unnecessarily. More annoying than dangerous, really. It also takes *forever* to recognize when someone in front of you is taking an off-ramp.

I've found you can't rely on it 100%. I use mine quite often. When someone is moving into the turn lane I apply light throttle which overrides the Adaptive Cruise. When I am passed or almost past them I take my foot off the gas, and the cruise resumes.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I ordered the ASG on my 21 JLUR. I have it on my 20 Grand Cherokee and really love the adaptive cruise in traffic (live in the DC metro area) and the forward collision has also been a nice feature. It hasn’t had any false alerts and actually saved me from a collision once.

I was driving in traffic at about 45mph and am generally very observant. I was following directions on Waze and I glanced down to see the next turn and the vehicle in front of me happened to brake at the same time for a squirrel. Fcw bleeped and braked quicker than if I was to notice the slow down and brake. It was close but there was no incident.

So while people on here say how observant they are and they pay attention, accidents happen at that split second you look away. And everyone does it, whether to glance down at your speed, look at the name of a road coming up, following nav instructions, to itch an eye, etc. This is when adaptive cruise, forward collision warning, etc. are truly useful.

If you can afford it, get it, and if you find it’s too intrusive, dial it back to alerts only. It may just save you or someone else on the road.
I have been accident free for over 35-40 years. Knock on wood! But one incident-accident avoided and it basically pays for itself.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the ASG.
All techs need to be watched over, any sudden braking is probably human related as the driver should know when a tech should be deployed.
ACC has 4 length settings,I only feel comfortable on the 4 length setting and if I'm in traffic with lots of merging I'll turn ACC off.
Rear proximity cross path is the best feature of them all.
How does Jeep's Rear proximity cross path work? Will it apply the brakes and stop the stop the vehicle if something is in the path when reversing? Like if someone is backing out of a garage and a car speeds across the rear of the Wrangler backing up? Or if your reversing and do not notice say a fire hydrant. Will it automatically apply the brakes?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This is what I am concerned about. How well it actually works on the Wrangler?

Sponsored

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

I purposely bypast the ASG. I love driving and paying attention. If you need some device to tell you that you have moved out of your lane, stay off the road. Take an Uber!
Yeah, I wish they’d go back to crank starters, no seat belts and metal dashboards too. If people ever stop getting sleepy or turning their head for a second these safety features would never get ordered.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I wish they’d go back to crank starters, no seat belts and metal dashboards too. If people ever stop getting sleepy or turning their head for a second these safety features would never get ordered.

Could you imagine if everyone paid attention like some of these people say they do. We would have no need for safety items. I’m sure they have never took there eyes off the road for a second or almost backed into something. These systems are designed to help us. If more people used them properly and stoped ring so pigheaded about them we might actually have fewer accidents. I’m tired of the “I’ve driven for X years with no accident”. They all fail to understand the definition of accident. You didn’t plan to drop something and look away, or lean over and run off the road or cross the line. That’s what all these help prevent.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

Could you imagine if everyone paid attention like some of these people say they do. We would have no need for safety items. I’m sure they have never took there eyes off the road for a second or almost backed into something. These systems are designed to help us. If more people used them properly and stoped ring so pigheaded about them we might actually have fewer accidents. I’m tired of the “I’ve driven for X years with no accident”. They all fail to understand the definition of accident. You didn’t plan to drop something and look away, or lean over and run off the road or cross the line. That’s what all these help prevent.
While I was being a smart ass 😊, I have both safety packages and they work as designed. The cross path feature is great in parking lots, there is always someone “in a hurry” who has to get by you even though you backed out well before they got near you. Cross path would have helped me at Costco when a guy actually sped up and hit me square after I was completely out of my spot.

The adaptive cruise has worked well for me and especially in the Fastrak/Carpool lanes where you can use the shortest distance setting comfortably.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
How does Jeep's Rear proximity cross path work? Will it apply the brakes and stop the stop the vehicle if something is in the path when reversing? Like if someone is backing out of a garage and a car speeds across the rear of the Wrangler backing up? Or if your reversing and do not notice say a fire hydrant. Will it automatically apply the brakes?
On backup you get the increased beeps and indicator in your display going from yellow to red.
Not sure if it rear brakes...
Cross path is good if your in reverse moving or not and anything breaks the lasers in 120% you get a beep. I've had cars come from almost my sides in a parking lot and i knew they were approaching without seeing them.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I was being a smart ass 😊, I have both safety packages and they work as designed. The cross path feature is great in parking lots, there is always someone “in a hurry” who has to get by you even though you backed out well before they got near you. Cross path would have helped me at Costco when a guy actually sped up and hit me square after I was completely out of my spot.

The adaptive cruise has worked well for me and especially in the Fastrak/Carpool lanes where you can use the shortest distance setting comfortably.

I know you were being a smartass. I love all those features. I hope one day they are standard on all vehicles.
Sponsored