Suggestions for where to "break in" Rubicon JLU in CO, in early May

Shinysideup

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX, JLU soon
When I receive my JLU Rubicon late April (fingers crossed) it will be a good time to take a week off and explore CO. I'm hoping to combine solo hiking, camping, light off roading and nature photography. New to the state, based out of Boulder. Any suggestions of fun drives that will be open? I had Kebler Pass Road and Old Fall River Road on the list, but neither will be open in early May.
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
When I receive my JLU Rubicon late April (fingers crossed) it will be a good time to take a week off and explore CO. I'm hoping to combine solo hiking, camping, light off roading and nature photography. New to the state, based out of Boulder. Any suggestions of fun drives that will be open? I had Kebler Pass Road and Old Fall River Road on the list, but neither will be open in early May.

Looks like you live in Colorado so you’re in the one of the best spots in the country to get out and explore with the amount of trails there. Pick yourself up the Funtreks book for Colorado Backroads and 4wd Trails. You can snag it direct from Funtreks, Amazon or even the digital book.

https://funtreks.com/product/guide-colorado-backroads-4-wheel-drive-trails-3rd-edition/

Cr80108

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser (JL on order)
With a week off I would recommend doing a little of Moab and Alpine Loop (Ouray/Telluride) and save the hundreds of local options for weekends. Otherwise I like the Rainbow Falls & Gulches (Hackett, Longwater & Metberry) areas that are between Woodland Park and Westcreek. The Funtreks app with a subscription has worked out well for planning and using during rides. Note that most all trails are marked with numbers vs. street names. I've yet to find a good mapping tool that shows the CR and FSR numbers so I carry a Forest Service Road map that I printed out and cross reference that with the GPS (when in doubt). I'm so excited about mine that I've planned my sabbatical (six weeks) around the JL and RZR. Have a great time!

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The Youtube site "The Fast Lane Car" is based in Boulder. They have some moderate trails they have taken their new JL Sahara in the vicinity of Boulder.

Homer

First Name
Geral Hasten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK, 2017 Chevy ZR2 diesel
Go to Central City find the back road out to James Peak, go to Nederland right out of Bolder, lots of wheelin there. You should be able to youtube both to find a acceptable trail.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely Ouray area. I'm going campng/exploring first week of May for the 2nd year in a row. Unreal scenary and world class Jeepin.

Homer

First Name
Geral Hasten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely Ouray area. I'm going campng/exploring first week of May for the 2nd year in a row. Unreal scenary and world class Jeepin.
We have been going every year to Ouray since 1979, with added trip to Moab, Leadville and Salida , Dillion and Alaska wheeling. We love the Ouray area it is habit forming. Going again th also, last year we went 2 weeks July and 3 in September all over Colorado.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Check this. Most likely not much of anything open in the ouray area in early May.
This is a pretty good site where you can check and see what has been opening in the past and current.
http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

I think a lot of trails might be open earlier than normal this year, due to a light snowfall.

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
I am offering a free break in service for Jeep Wranglers. Just give me your Wrangler for one week and I will put it thru it’s paces. I will thoroughly test all the drive systems in all 2 wheel and 4 wheel modes, both High and Lo, and I will fully flex the suspension system to make sure it operating properly. I will also make sure all of the skid plates are functional.

I assure you that when I return your Jeep to you it will be completely broken!

CORRECTION: the last line should read “I assure you that when I return your Jeep to you it will be completely broken in!”

Homer

First Name
Geral Hasten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
kkuntz01 thanks for the funtreks link...going to use that for an arizona trip!

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Suggest you might try Four Mile in Buena Vista. Pretty tame but will be open. Nice scenery. Of course you could try Chinaman or Carnage Canyon in Four Mile South. Some body damage is likely to occur on the later.

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Hey Shinyside. I am out of Broomfield just picked up my new JLUR today. Time to break it in. Im new to the area as well. I am up for some wheeling and exploring anytime.

CJ

Strifehero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
We ought to arrange a trip. I spent some time a couple weeeknds ago up Rampart Range and some fun single obstacles, but would like to hit something a bit longer.

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Sign me up for a CO meet up. 37’s will be here this week!! Lift coming from RK! I’ll be ready..
Sponsored