Drastic Improved Steering Feel via Service bulletin is 08-074-20 REV. B

cthomas31

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sport S Manual Soft top
I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to provide my experience with the gearbox swap FCA is offering.

I just had the aluminum steering gearbox replaced with the steel one and it’s unbelievably better. I went from having a couple inches of play in the wheel to maybe a half inch. It obviously doesn’t drive like a sports car but it made a huge difference!

I highly recommend this for anyone that is still having issues with loose steering or is on the fence about getting it swapped out. My local jeep dealer covered it under warranty even with an aftermarket lift and tires.

Service bulletin is 08-074-20 REV. B

I’ve attached the bulletin for reference as well.
Sponsored

Attachments

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to provide my experience with the gearbox swap FCA is offering.

I just had the aluminum steering gearbox replaced with the steel one and it’s unbelievably better. I went from having a couple inches of play in the wheel to maybe a half inch. It obviously doesn’t drive like a sports car but it made a huge difference!

I highly recommend this for anyone that is still having issues with loose steering or is on the fence about getting it swapped out. My local jeep dealer covered it under warranty even with an aftermarket lift and tires.

Service bulletin is 08-074-20 REV. B

I’ve attached the bulletin for reference as well.
Did it on our Gladiator

Easiest description is a night and day difference improvement. However the hell that aluminum box was rationalized is beyond me. I mean, we know it was all based on cost, but how in the world did they convince the decision makers to go with it?

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Did it on our Gladiator

Easiest description is a night and day difference improvement. However the hell that aluminum box was rationalized is beyond me. I mean, we know it was all based on cost, but how in the world did they convince the decision makers to go with it?
Same thing with the aluminum knuckles. Watch those slowly disappear next.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did it on our Gladiator

I seriously doubt the issue is aluminum vs steel. These rolled off the line with the issue. It isn't related to wear. Besides, people with aluminum steering boxes have adjusted it themselves and fixed the issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

cthomas31

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sport S Manual Soft top
I seriously doubt the issue is aluminum vs steel. These rolled off the line with the issue. It isn't related to wear. Besides, people with aluminum steering boxes have adjusted it themselves and fixed the issue.
Not sure if that’s the case or not. It’s interesting that they moved to steel if the type of metal doesn’t matter. If that were the case, why not just stick with aluminum and fix whatever else is causing it? Wouldn’t that be the cheaper option? I’ve also seen videos saying the manual adjustment on the aluminum box helped but later had it replaced with the steel box and made it much better. This guy did one on his gladiator:

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Why in the world would they issue a TSB and replace the whole damn box then? I would imagine if what you're saying is true, then another fix would be cheaper.

To me this was simple:

-New Gladiator - under 4k miles, the steering wandered. It had an aluminum box

-I requested the TSB

- They replaced it with a steel box. Issue corrected.

I see a strong correlation.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to Jeep the box is non-serviceable. Not non user serviceable but non-serviceable at all. I've assumed they changed vendors for the steering box.

If the aluminum was the issue then I would expect to see wear when these people open up the box. If it is flexing rather than wear then I'd expect the thing to shear in half when I'm bashing it against rocks but it drives exactly the same afterwards and the same as it did the day I drove it off the lot.

I wouldn't say I know the exact issue, just saying I wouldn't be so sure it is as simple as aluminum vs steel.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I wouldn't say I know the exact issue, just saying I wouldn't be so sure it is as simple as aluminum vs steel.
If you read the TSB, the aluminum boxes got worse the higher the ambient temperature was. The cast iron box most likely keeps a lot more of its strength. I don't think wearing out comes into the discussion.

I'm still annoyed that the steering could have been as good as it is now from day one, because it was downright dangerous sometimes on the highway with the old box.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I tried. My dealership denied it because my toe alignment was slightly off. Didn’t even offer to align it.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Anyone know if my December 2018 purchased JLUR with less than 17,000 miles might get warranty coverage of the steering box installation?

This thing has been a handful since day one.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know if my December 2018 purchased JLUR with less than 17,000 miles might get warranty coverage of the steering box installation?

This thing has been a handful since day one.
should qualify since still under warranty :like:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I thought the remainder of my warranty was "powertrain"?
I am missing something on your question.

you purchased new in Dec 2018. Main warranty is 3yr 36,000 miles.

Dec 2021 (this year) would be 3 yrs.

you are at 17,000 moles, well under 36,000.

this is before any talk beyond 3yr / 36k what is covered in the powertrain warranty.

what am i missing, why wouldn’t it be covered under the normal 3yr/36k?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase