TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I think what has Jeepers fuming is the arrogance with which Ford went about launching Bronco. Automakers add new competitors every day, but the fixation with which Ford has gone after Wrangler is off the scale.

Within that context, the way in which the Bronco launch has fallen flat on its face comes like poetic justice.
Yeah I agree, especially the way they have those who don't own Wranglers like "well i'm going to get a Bronco anyway so obviously i'll be better than you". But again, those people aren't really referring to rock crawling. They're referring to desirability and it's quite possible that the Bronco may end up being more desirable than the Wrangler. That involves a ton of factors that are difficult to quantify, especially now.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I agree, especially the way they have those who don't own Wranglers like "well i'm going to get a Bronco anyway so obviously i'll be better than you". But again, those people aren't really referring to rock crawling. They're referring to desirability and it's quite possible that the Bronco may end up being more desirable than the Wrangler. That involves a ton of factors that are difficult to quantify, especially now.
Indeed. Anything is possible.

But if history is an indication, usually the vehicle with (1) the better established reputation on the market, and (2) the undisputed performance and capability, wins. Even among those who buy them just for show.

The bottom line is, no matter the product category, few people want to be in the position of having to explain, over and over, why they bought this instead of that.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Having all four tires on the ground and the body level is the safest, easiest, and most comfortable way to wheel.

But hey, if you enjoy the teeter-totter effect, have at it.
It is a non issue people try to make a big deal over. If lifting a wheel off road scares you, you shouldn't be off road. "Safe, easy and comfortable" LOL Real hallmarks of "adventure" right there.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
1st, a quick observation that I'm curious of others thoughts on. During the end scene, with both vehicles angled outward and equidistant from the camera, it seems like the window opening size is very close between the 2, regardless of frame or no frame. The roof of the bronco looks like it wraps around and down to make up the difference of the Wranglers window frames.

And my personal thoughts to counter those who keep on using "most people don't do anything hardcore" to justify the broncos neutered-by-design offroad capability:

Half the value of a Wranglers more robust equipment and capability, is knowing its there if/when you'll need it. A quick analogy, that I know many can agree with, would be when choosing a peppier commuter over a weaker and more fuel efficient one. You don't need to be a generally fast driver to appreciate that extra oomph when merging onto a fast roadway without getting run over. Knowing it's there to tap into on occasion is well worth the tradeoff of a bit more fuel economy.

A more direct example would be a fallen tree or rain washed out section of a forest road. I'd rather be able to tap into capability and climb over or through it, than to have to scrub the mission and turn around.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I mean without a doubt the Bronco has that cool factor. I have no doubt that one with the 2.3 liter and 3.73 gears would be just as good at Station Wagon duties as my Sahara. I'm pretty sure It could handle the occasional wheeling that I do.

My main disappointment is anything other than a 2.3 with 3.73s has a dramatic drop in fuel economy. That's important to me as a daily driver, and the Bronco just isn't a strong competitor in that category. Some people just don't care about that, but it is what it is.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
So true - but the Bronco is already disappointing so many….after such a long wait. I don’t understand how the MachE rollout, which involves so much new technology, has gone so well while the Bronco deployment has been a total cluster…. Desirability is a matter of perception and I feel Ford is beginning to lose this battle with the Bronco. If I were in the market to trade my Jeep, I wouldn’t even think about the Bronco…whereas 6 months ago it seemed entirely plausible.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
It is a non issue people try to make a big deal over. If lifting a wheel off road scares you, you shouldn't be off road. "Safe, easy and comfortable" LOL Real hallmarks of "adventure" right there.
I guess your sway bar disconnect remains unused? :movember:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When climbing a grade that's pitched to the side, and traction isn't that of a paved surface, 2 tires still capable of touching the ground will stay the path better than if 1 was hanging. No one's referring to level situations, where I'll agree that it's less of a deal.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
What clickbait with the thumbnail and title. How can you say "which is best" without actually driving it and comparing both the on/off road experience? A good waste of my 10 minutes.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Agree. It was an odd comparo.

But I found the list of pros and cons they brought up on each vehicle were fair.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s fair.

I think what has Jeepers fuming is the arrogance with which Ford went about launching Bronco. Automakers add new competitors every day, but the fixation with which Ford has gone after Wrangler is off the scale.

Within that context, the way in which the Bronco launch has fallen flat on its face comes like poetic justice.
Couldn't agree more! Ford marketing created a huge and unnecessary dividing line specifically between the Bronco and Wrangler. It's clearly seen on 6g whenever someone mentions being fed up with waiting and going for something else. If that something else is a 4Runner, the rest chime in to recount how great theirs was and "we'll meet again". If that something else is a Wrangler, the rest start frothing at the mouth and lose all maturity.

If it wasn't for Fords approach, the Bronco could've been made more welcome in the offroad community.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So true - but the Bronco is already disappointing so many….after such a long wait. I don’t understand how the MachE rollout, which involves so much new technology, has gone so well while the Bronco deployment has been a total cluster…. Desirability is a matter of perception and I feel Ford is beginning to lose this battle with the Bronco. If I were in the market to trade my Jeep, I wouldn’t even think about the Bronco…whereas 6 months ago it seemed entirely plausible.
My guess is Ford totally underestimated the challenges of building a body-on-frame vehicle with removable top and doors. Add to that a program that had been delayed so many times, that executives didn’t want to hear about any more problems and pushed to have the vehicle launched before it was ready. And here we are.